Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fish&Chips in town?

Options
  • 12-08-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Looking for a nice place to have some traditional fish&chips.

Light batters, nothing too greasy deepfried in overused oil.

Used to go to the white and blue place besides the post office in plunkett, but the chef or management changed months ago and it's not what it used to be.

So now I'm going to the one near the end of Shandon, but it's too fatty.

Any suggestions near downtown? 20 mins walk max :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lennox's on Barrack Street I think, or else its just at the top of Barrack Street

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Try the Fish Wife on McCurtain Street. It's a few doors up the road from the Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Try the Fish Wife on McCurtain Street. It's a few doors up the road from the Subway.

I don't get this place, went there are was fairly disappointed. Its so hard to get nice fish and chips around cork. Best place is the Mills inn but that is a journey away

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Lennox's end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InsaneChef

Also tried it, was pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Fish hatch on Pembroke street is my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InsaneChef

calnand wrote: »
    Fish hatch on Pembroke street is my favourite

That's the one I was talking about. It went downhill a few months back. Way smaller portions, even though the price is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Despite what some have said here, I think the Fish Wife is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Despite what some have said here, I think the Fish Wife is really good.

That's been my experience too. Their burgers are great too IME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The Fish Wife is my favourite in town by a long shot

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

The Fish Wife is probably the best alright .

Different strokes then.. I remember calling to the Fish hatch when it first opened mouth watering waiting for the food. Was nice to see them cooking it, then we said back into the car and opened the box and well twas a pretty mesly portion.Little cup of cubed chips and a few bits of fish for something like €9.00.. It was nice but not worth the price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Milly33 wrote: »
    Different strokes then.. I remember calling to the Fish hatch when it first opened mouth watering waiting for the food. Was nice to see them cooking it, then we said back into the car and opened the box and well twas a pretty mesly portion.Little cup of cubed chips and a few bits of fish for something like €9.00.. It was nice but not worth the price

The Fish Wife and The Fish Hatch are two different places...

imo, the Fish Wife is incredible, haven't had any from the Fish Hatch but Lennoxes is a close second.

I know I didn't say they were the same :) .. The Fish wife - has good enough fish not great, and is rather pricey. Fish Hatch was nice but way overpriced for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'm going out on a limb to say I HATE the pale, mushy chips that most city chippers do. Was very excited getting my first Lennox's...never again. Same for KCs in Douglas. Very disappointed after all that queuing. Dinos same. They are mediocre when piping hot, and quickly inedible if they go any way cool. I would quicker choose Mac Donalds and that's not saying much.

For me, the ultimate chip is the crispy, processed, uniformly cut chip that you get in chipvans in a white plastic carton. There is just no other chip like it. It's not gourmet cuisine but it's how a chip should be. Pity you have to go outside the city to get some though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Lennox's without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

livinsane wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb to say I HATE the pale, mushy chips that most city chippers do. Was very excited getting my first Lennox's...never again. Same for KCs in Douglas. Very disappointed after all that queuing. Dinos same. They are mediocre when piping hot, and quickly inedible if they go any way cool. I would quicker choose Mac Donalds and that's not saying much.

For me, the ultimate chip is the crispy, processed, uniformly cut chip that you get in chipvans in a white plastic carton. There is just no other chip like it. It's not gourmet cuisine but it's how a chip should be. Pity you have to go outside the city to get some though.

For genuinely good chips try Boston Grill in Grange ... they finish in lard for that crispy fluffy chip, great with their taco sauce on the side. Cheese and onion pie there is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The Fish Wife is terrible, expensive, horrible chips and burnt fish. Heard good things about the Fish Hatch but tbh I have not ever had great Cod in Cork city.
    If any one here is near Youghal call into the Roma Grill for with out a doubt the best fish&chips in Ireland. I fish and cook a lot of my own catch so I know what fresh Cod in batter should be like and that place in Youghal gets it right. Helps being practically on the quay.

stylie wrote: »
    The Fish Wife is terrible, expensive, horrible chips and burnt fish. Heard good things about the Fish Hatch but tbh I have not ever had great Cod in Cork city.
    If any one here is near Youghal call into the Roma Grill for with out a doubt the best fish&chips in Ireland. I fish and cook a lot of my own catch so I know what fresh Cod in batter should be like and that place in Youghal gets it right. Helps being practically on the quay.

Do you state all your opinions as fact?
    That must help you make friends!

How do you know that the Fish Hatch isn't better than your beloved Roma Grill - you've never tried it?
    For that matter how do you know all the chippers in Ireland that you haven't tried aren't better than the Roma Grill?

I still stand by my opinion on The Fish Wife (which is in Cork City).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Do you state all your opinions as fact?
    That must help you make friends!

How do you know that the Fish Hatch isn't better than your beloved Roma Grill - you've never tried it?
    For that matter how do you know all the chippers in Ireland that you haven't tried aren't better than the Roma Grill?

I still stand by my opinion on The Fish Wife (which is in Cork City).

What the hell is your problem ? Do you work in The Fish Wife ? if you do then your food is crap. HillBillys has better chips and its the only place I have had a burnt portion of Cod.
    I used Youghal as an example for any one near there to try it. I know this is a Cork city thread but Im sure some people reading this will go to Youghal at some stage and appreciate knowing where a good chipper is. And in my opinion its the best fish&chips in Ireland as I compare it to the likes of McDonaghs in Galway and the Roma Grill is every bit as good. Now go away and nit pick some other peoples posts.

stylie wrote: »
    What the hell is your problem ? Do you work in The Fish Wife ? if you do then your food is crap. HillBillys has better chips and its the only place I have had a burnt portion of Cod.
    I used Youghal as an example for any one near there to try it. I know this is a Cork city thread but Im sure some people reading this will go to Youghal at some stage and appreciate knowing where a good chipper is. And in my opinion its the best fish&chips in Ireland as I compare it to the likes of McDonaghs in Galway and the Roma Grill is every bit as good. Now go away and nit pick some other peoples posts.

Angry style:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

Went to The Fish Wife last night and loved it. The batter on the cod was lovely and light, the fish cooked perfectly and decent portion of chips. I came away full. Nice atmosphere in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lynder.m

Haven't been home in two years, but when I was there you really couldn't beat 'Golden Fry' on the Ballinlough Road for a great feed of fish and chips! And potato pies..... And chicken Maryland.... mmmmmmmmm........ Hope it's still going strong when I come home for Christmas!
    I know it's not in the city, but it's certainly worth driving to what the locals call 'Johnny Fry's'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lynder.m wrote: »
    Haven't been home in two years, but when I was there you really couldn't beat 'Golden Fry' on the Ballinlough Road for a great feed of fish and chips! And potato pies..... And chicken Maryland.... mmmmmmmmm........ Hope it's still going strong when I come home for Christmas!
    I know it's not in the city, but it's certainly worth driving to what the locals call 'Johnny Fry's'.

I used to love that place, but I was there and last summer and was NOT impressed. I waited 45 minutes for food, with only about 10 people ahead of me. The fish was bland and soggy and the chips weren't much better. Maybe I got it on a bad day, but when you consider that even with 30 people ahead of you in a queue in KCs you'll be served within 20 minutes, I wouldn't go back there unless they starting working a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lynder.m

Faith wrote: »
    I used to love that place, but I was there and last summer and was NOT impressed. I waited 45 minutes for food, with only about 10 people ahead of me. The fish was bland and soggy and the chips weren't much better. Maybe I got it on a bad day, but when you consider that even with 30 people ahead of you in a queue in KCs you'll be served within 20 minutes, I wouldn't go back there unless they starting working a lot faster.
    Awe, sad to hear that. The place is an institution in those parts, shame if it's gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm putting my vote in for The Fish Wife as well. So far I've had scampi and tasted the smoked haddock. Easily the best fish I've had from a chipper. Also that they'll deliver it over to The Cork Arms where you can eat it with a drink is great.

Lynder.m wrote: »
    Awe, sad to hear that. The place is an institution in those parts, shame if it's gone downhill.

Yes I am afraid while it is nice, it isn't the best for fish and chips well some of it. We got the mixed plate there one day and it was hard to tell what any of the fish was very bland. We got a seafood cake though and it was yummie really tasty.. So it is hit and miss I think the more basic you go the better. will give it the tops for not being greasy food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The Fish Wife and The Fish Hatch takeaways are the only places (as far as I know) that actually do fresh fish, everywhere else you might as well not bother heading out and just throw on some oven fish in your kitchen.

The Golden Fry do the nicest potato and cheese pies that I've had.

KCs if you're in the mood for a nice wrap thingy.

Lennoxs on the Bandon Road have the nicest chips in my opinion.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere else around Cork that I'd start salivating for right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

dobman88 wrote: »
    Lennox's on Barrack Street I think, or else its just at the top of Barrack Street

If you want overly dry chips and reheated mushy burgers, then Lennox's is your place.

If you want nice food, KC's in Douglas is your place.

Advertisement