Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fish&Chips in town?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

grenache wrote: »
    If you want overly dry chips and reheated mushy burgers, then Lennox's is your place.

If you want nice food, KC's in Douglas is your place.

not anymore its not, went there last saturday night,

their chips: as small as their portion boxes are it wasn't even filled, usually they used throw more in on top, but not lately, portion sizes are dropping

they also don't salt and vinegar them before wrapping anymore and it does not taste the same when you add the salt and vinegar at home to lukewarm chips.

i ordered a philly steak, the chips mayo and cheese usually found in the bottom of the pita was replaced with just mayo instead, way too much mayo, the steak pieces were still pink inside, and the pita's you used be barely able to handle they were so full, was literally closed at all ends.

their cheese burger was also ordered, the cheese wasn't melted (or melting) onto the burger which is now skinnier than ever like patty's rather than the big homemade style burgers i used love, and they've changed the buns they use,

it seems since the flooding they have been cutting costs left right and center and it appears to be effecting the quality of the food, they thrive on reputation alone i fear, or maybe its just me being unlucky the last few times we've ordered there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

KCs definitely aren't as good as they used to be. They've changed the chips and the pitas and neither are as nice. I definitely wish they still put salt and vinegar on in there, and they've taken the Vampire off the menu (although they'll still make it if you ask). I got fish of the day there once and it was just a bland piece of fish - no s&v, no lemon, no tartar sauce. For €5, I expected more although to be fair, they don't advertise it as anything else.

They still have the best garlic mayonnaise I've ever tasted, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

hoodwinked wrote: »
    not anymore its not, went there last saturday night,

their chips: as small as their portion boxes are it wasn't even filled, usually they used throw more in on top, but not lately, portion sizes are dropping

they also don't salt and vinegar them before wrapping anymore and it does not taste the same when you add the salt and vinegar at home to lukewarm chips.

i ordered a philly steak, the chips mayo and cheese usually found in the bottom of the pita was replaced with just mayo instead, way too much mayo, the steak pieces were still pink inside, and the pita's you used be barely able to handle they were so full, was literally closed at all ends.

their cheese burger was also ordered, the cheese wasn't melted (or melting) onto the burger which is now skinnier than ever like patty's rather than the big homemade style burgers i used love, and they've changed the buns they use,

it seems since the flooding they have been cutting costs left right and center and it appears to be effecting the quality of the food, they thrive on reputation alone i fear, or maybe its just me being unlucky the last few times we've ordered there.
    I agree they are not as good as they used to be. The quality of their chips has definitely gone down. But still I think they are one of the nicest chippers in Cork.

And they never reheat their burgers like Jackie Lennox's.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

I get the philly steak there all the time...its supposed to be pink(medium) and juicy in the middle...it even says it on the sign...portion sizes on the steak sandwiches & burgers have never changed , you got unlucky that night
    I wasn't a fan of the hassett bun initially but I much prefer it now to the cheap bunster one

Kansas city is the best thing on the menu by far

TBoneMan wrote: »
    I get the philly steak there all the time...its supposed to be pink(medium) and juicy in the middle...it even says it on the sign...portion sizes on the steak sandwiches & burgers have never changed , you got unlucky that night
    I wasn't a fan of the hassett bun initially but I much prefer it now to the cheap bunster one

Kansas city is the best thing on the menu by far

i get it all the time too and never had any issues with how it was until the recent months, it wasn't a once off mistake its continuous mistakes,

their burgers have gotten smaller, their pita's have changed (not for the better) their chip portions have gotten smaller, they no longer salt and vinegar them,

in my opinion Kcs are living off their reputation than their current quality of food. i understand they are probably under pressure financially to say they are implementing these cheaper changes, but when the quality suffers is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm saddened to hear that KC's has gone downhill.
    I don't go very regularly and haven't been in a couple of years but I used to love the fish there. Hope that hasn't gone to sh1te too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Lynder.m wrote: »
    Haven't been home in two years, but when I was there you really couldn't beat 'Golden Fry' on the Ballinlough Road for a great feed of fish and chips! And potato pies..... And chicken Maryland.... mmmmmmmmm........ Hope it's still going strong when I come home for Christmas!
    I know it's not in the city, but it's certainly worth driving to what the locals call 'Johnny Fry's'.
    A lot has changed -so much change that every thing you said has gone in reverse,

small scanty chips
    never opened hardly
    crap small potato pies

never again-that's if its open which is rare.oh ya prices gone up

I'm saddened to hear that KC's has gone downhill.
    I don't go very regularly and haven't been in a couple of years but I used to love the fish there. Hope that hasn't gone to sh1te too.
    Over rated crap-all those eejits outside trying to get in need to look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i get it all the timebre too and never had any issues with how it was until the recent months, it wasn't a once off mistake its continuous mistakes,

their burgers have gotten smaller, their pita's have changed (not for the better) their chip portions have gotten smaller, they no longer salt and vinegar them,

in my opinion Kcs are living off their reputation than their current quality of food. i understand they are probably under pressure financially to say they are implementing these cheaper changes, but when the quality suffers is it worth it?

In 2008 kc went from a 2oz bresnans burger to 4oz bresnans burgers ... they have been the same since... maybe the bigger hassetts bun makes them look smaller;I always have eaten the same butcher shop burgers and they are always 4oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Over rated crap-all those eejits outside trying to get in need to look at themselves.

Where would you go if living in the Douglas area Lemmy?

• Advertisement

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Where would you go if living in the Douglas area Lemmy?
    Theres a grand centra across the road -could get a nice ham sandwich for yourself :p

Dinos in douglas sell reheated chips and the staff are odd.

Theres some nice chineese take aways in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Theres a grand centra across the road -could get a nice ham sandwich for yourself :p

Dinos in douglas sell reheated chips and the staff are odd.

OK I'm convinced :pac:

TBoneMan wrote: »
    In 2008 kc went from a 2oz bresnans burger to 4oz bresnans burgers ... they have been the same since... maybe the bigger hassetts bun makes them look smaller;I always have eaten the same butcher shop burgers and they are always 4oz

maybe they are squishing them more but the buns aren't much wider than the old ones they used be thick mouth stretching homemade burgers, now they are flat patties mcdonalds style,

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

I have found KCs to be in decline. The chip portions are far too mean now and they were never great. Plus they get the order wrong too often. I used to go out of my way to get grub there but not any more. The Fish Wife in McCurtain Street is the best in town now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

same here they aren't what they used to be.. I remember Pat in there and the potato pies were the best and you would always get the handful of chips thrown in yummie shame shame

Milly33 wrote: »
    same here they aren't what they used to be.. I remember Pat in there and the potato pies were the best and you would always get the handful of chips thrown in yummie shame shame
    the pies taste like rolled up newspaper in batter.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

A lot has changed -so much change that every thing you said has gone in reverse,

small scanty chips
    never opened hardly
    crap small potato pies

never again-that's if its open which is rare.oh ya prices gone up

Didn't really pay attention to the prices or the opening times, but the food was exactly the same the last time I visited, maybe a month or so ago. Scampi supper was gorgeous with plenty of chips, pie was the same size (and taste, nyom!) as ever. They have the best battered haddock I've ever tasted.

Course the last time I visited it was closed for the annual 2 week summer holidays, a particularly peculiarity of Frances', but it's her chipper, if she wants to shut down for holiers, that's her prerogative. And it's hardly new, she's been doing that forever.

Faith wrote: »
    KCs definitely aren't as good as they used to be. They've changed the chips and the pitas and neither are as nice. I definitely wish they still put salt and vinegar on in there, and they've taken the Vampire off the menu (although they'll still make it if you ask). I got fish of the day there once and it was just a bland piece of fish - no s&v, no lemon, no tartar sauce. For €5, I expected more although to be fair, they don't advertise it as anything else.

They still have the best garlic mayonnaise I've ever tasted, though!

I'm delighted to report that I had KCs at the weekend and they've changed their chips again. They were gorgeous this time! I also had an Atlantis, which is battered fish with chips, gherkins and mayo in a ciabatta and the fish was lovely. I can't report on the ciabatta itself though, because there was no room in my belly for it.

I'm delighted to report that I had KCs at the weekend and they've changed their chips again. They were gorgeous this time! I also had an Atlantis, which is battered fish with chips, gherkins and mayo in a ciabatta and the fish was lovely. I can't report on the ciabatta itself though, because there was no room in my belly for it.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I put a note under their door suggesting they have a look at this thread:D

I just hated to see a food outlet with long history and a fantastic reputation go downhill (even if I rarely use it).

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I put a note under their door suggesting they have a look at this thread:D

I just hated to see a food outlet with long history and a fantastic reputation go downhill (even if I rarely use it).

Did you really? That's brilliant :D

• Advertisement

Did you really? That's brilliant :D

Yup, to help them out, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hah! Fair play!

(I wonder if it'd be a good/terrible thing if someone did the same with the recent Le Chateau thread! :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

who_me wrote: »
    I wonder if it'd be a good/terrible thing if someone did the same with the recent Le Chateau thread! :eek:

Judging by that thread I'd say they wouldn't give two fucks.

Judging by that thread I'd say they wouldn't give two fucks.

Can't imagine anyone gives enough of a fork to let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

grenache wrote: »
    If you want nice food, KC's in Douglas is your place.

Extremely overrated. Maybe I'm harsher than necessary towards them because of the expectation most people built up: ask people in Douglas and they talk about it as if it was a 5-star Michelin restaurant, adjectives such as "divine" are often used. In truth it's just another crappy chipper, most of thew stuff they sell is so drenched in salt, mayonnaise and spices that it kills any hint of a taste there could be. In all fairness, however, they do have a bit more variety on the menu than most.

Ah, and the queue is nothing short of ridiculous.

Cork is actually infested by chippers (McCurtain street being the extreme example), while a lot of the non-chippers that are any good are serving foreign cusine. A few more proper restaurants serving what you'd normally find on the table of an Irish family at dinner would be very welcome.

Unless, that is, we're at a stage where what most families eat comes from a chipper...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Having criticized KCs a few weeks back I'm delighted to say that I found them back to their best this weekend.

Advertisement