Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Speed slower than Upload Speed

Options
  • 12-08-2013 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ok so I have my desktop connected to a TL-WA850RE via a LAN cable. My TL-2A850RE is a range extender to my vodafone fibre power 50MB broadband. A laptop connected via wifi to the main router (not the extender) gets 40-50Mbps download speed and around 15Mbps upload speed.

My desktop gets 6-15Mbps download speed and a consistent 12Mbps upload speed while connected to the extender via LAN.

My iPad gets about 35Mbps download and 10Mbps upload when connected to the main router and about 4Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload when connected to the range extender.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Mine is the same.

I'm with Irishbroadband/Imagine and had no problems for years. A few months ago,the Antenna/Radio on the roof had a problem,and we had no broadband for a few days.

Before this,we were getting 6Mbps Download and nearly 2Mbps Upload.

After they "fixed" the problem,,we never again got anywhere near the 6Mbps and these days we are lucky to get 3Mbps.
    They won't even come out anymore to check it over,as they say as long as we have any broadband, we don't have a problem,so they have nothing to come out and fix.

A speedtest this morning shows us getting 3.65 Up and 5.31 Down with a Ping of 72. We used to have a Ping in the 30's.

Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MyNameIsBoxxy

Do what I did with eircom, leave that company.
    I used to pay 59 a month for a terrible 6Mbps download and like 0.5Mbps upload and for a crappy phone line that didn't even work.
    Eircom said that it's not their fault that the phoneline randomly stopped working and that we'd have to pay 100 euro to get it looked at (and an extra fee for fixing it) so I simply told them to f off.

Around a week ago Vodafone came in for free and installed a 50Mbps Down / 15Mbps Up broadband box and charged me 50 euro for the range extender which was optional. I know pay 30 euro a month and get more than 8 times faster speed for half the price...
    The broadband is amazing and is around 45Mbps D and 15Mbps Up for everything connected to it except for my desktop which gets around 7-15 Mbps and 15 Mbps Upload...

The thing that puzzles me is that the Upload speed for my desktop and the ping are the exact same as the upload speed and ping for all my other devices, just my download speed is drastically lower..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

its your range extender lol

Sorry i dont understand the term "range extender", i googled that model number and it just linked back to here, do you mean its another wifi router to cover another part of the house?

Is there any other traffic on that range extender other than direct internet access?( i.e. 2 PCs are on that they can consume a lot of the bandwidth, 100Mbps ethernet is useless with these fibre connections as the FTTC will use just under half of a 100mbps connection ).

If the main router is working fine then its just some arbitrary issue with the other access point. If its not a bandwidth issue between devices then check:
    - faulty cat 5/6 issue?
    - wifi limitation of G instead of N+ or similar
    - faulty cat 5/6 cable between the extender and the main router? - run a ping test of 100 and see what the packet loss is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MyNameIsBoxxy

http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/details/?model=TL-WA850RE

I don't know what is wrong with the range extender though...the ping and upload speed when connected to the range extender are the exact same as when connected to the main, just the download speed is being hit. Also no, it still happens when only my desktop is connected to the range extender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Do what I did with eircom, leave that company.
    I used to pay 59 a month for a terrible 6Mbps download and like 0.5Mbps upload and for a crappy phone line that didn't even work.
    Eircom said that it's not their fault that the phoneline randomly stopped working and that we'd have to pay 100 euro to get it looked at (and an extra fee for fixing it) so I simply told them to f off.

Around a week ago Vodafone came in for free and installed a 50Mbps Down / 15Mbps Up broadband box and charged me 50 euro for the range extender which was optional. I know pay 30 euro a month and get more than 8 times faster speed for half the price...
    The broadband is amazing and is around 45Mbps D and 15Mbps Up for everything connected to it except for my desktop which gets around 7-15 Mbps and 15 Mbps Upload...

The thing that puzzles me is that the Upload speed for my desktop and the ping are the exact same as the upload speed and ping for all my other devices, just my download speed is drastically lower..

Hmmmm...Very interesting.

We have an old eircom line in the house,,but it's been deactivated about 12 years ago.
    So not sure how that would work out now.

The speeds you get seem great..Is there a download cap/limit with that?
    As bad as the broadband is that we have now,,it's "Unlimited".

We don't have too many other options,as we don't have UPC in the estate,sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ok so I have my desktop connected to a TL-WA850RE via a LAN cable. My TL-2A850RE is a range extender to my vodafone fibre power 50MB broadband.
    1. A laptop connected via wifi to the main router (not the extender) gets 40-50Mbps download speed and around 15Mbps upload speed.
    2. My desktop gets 6-15Mbps download speed and a consistent 12Mbps upload speed while connected to the extender via LAN.
    3. My iPad gets about 35Mbps download and 10Mbps upload when connected to the main router and about 4Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload when connected to the range extender.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

1. Where was this test done? Wi-fi is all about distance and interference, try your laptop from the same location as the extender(with it turned off). That's a more realistic test of the extenders performance.
    2. See above.
    3. Loads of reasons for this. Your Ipad is most likely only capable of 20hz, which half's the speed. Then using a range extender, your halving the speed again.

Advertisement