Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Manchester Marathon.

Options
  • 12-08-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I'm wondering if anyone here knows much about this event? According to their website they say it is one of the flattest marathons in the UK. Has anyone on here done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Nobody obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Nobody obviously!!

Come on Manchester vets. , someone Is feeling unloved:)

Oops69 wrote: »
    Come on Manchester vets. , someone Is feeling unloved:)

Absolutely!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

sorry havent done it but seriously considering doing next year so will follow this thread avidly ( assuming it ever gets going)......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I did it this year, good, flat, well supported marathon. Nice medal and technical tee.

It started/finished near Old Trafford.

Water was in very handy pouches and gel "shots" were liberally available on the course.

Course itself wasn't that interesting with a couple of double backs.

Any particular question you have?

TbL

• Advertisement

I did it this year, good, flat, well supported marathon. Nice medal and technical tee.

It started/finished near Old Trafford.

Water was in very handy pouches and gel "shots" were liberally available on the course.

Course itself wasn't that interesting with a couple of double backs.

Any particular question you have?

TbL

Thanks TBL! No questions in particular. Just wondering about the whole thing in general. What's the accommodation like in the area, what's the travel situation like, is there an expo? I've never been to Manchester but I'd imagine if the race starts and finishes at Old Trafford the travel situation shouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It might not answer all your questions but a friend of mine ran it this year and posted a race report that is well worth reading.

http://www.one-man-running-club.com/2013/05/2013-greater-manchester-marathon-race.html

@Bahanaman,

Plenty of cheap flights with Ryanair from Dublin to Manchester.

Plenty of accommodation within walking distance of start to suit all budgets.

Don't know about expo as got the last flight on sat night that arrived at about 11pm into Manchester, but had no problem picking up my number on the morning of the race.

There were pacers as well.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Entry was on the high side for a UK marathon but still cheaper than Dublin.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Did it in 2012 but I believe the course was a bit different in 2013.

Decent, flat course, mostly well organised (the bag drop was a bit of a fiasco but i think they rectifed that in 2013, everything else was fine) and well supported. Be advised though that the race is GREATER Manchester i.e. if you want to run in the city centre then you'll be disappointed.

Only gripe i had was one beyond the organisers control but one well associated with Manchester - weather was appalling!

I'd recommend it though, would do it again in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Havent done it myself but heard from a few people its up there with the flatter/faster marathons around. The only thing I did hear was the route may be a bit dull at times

• Advertisement

pico84 wrote: »
    Havent done it myself but heard from a few people its up there with the flatter/faster marathons around. The only thing I did hear was the route may be a bit dull at times

It's the flat fast bit that I like Pico! Also I've heard the support is great. I'm usually under too much pressure to notice the scenery around me!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

Trying to get a group together for this next year, about 6 of us so far and all reports seem to be good

gaz200 wrote: »
    Trying to get a group together for this next year, about 6 of us so far and all reports seem to be good

Sounds good Gaz! When are you thinking of travelling over? I'm thinking maybe hear over on the Saturday and return on the Monday. I'm sounding it out with a couple of friends. Seems to be a good buzz about this event and the logistics involved aren't too bad at all!

Thinking of heading over sat and home tue hopefully or else mon evening. There is also a relay marathon so we might have a few doing that aswell. Must look up flights from Shannon and decide the days then.

gaz200 wrote: »
    Thinking of heading over sat and home tue hopefully or else mon evening. There is also a relay marathon so we might have a few doing that aswell. Must look up flights from Shannon and decide the days then.

Plenty flights from Dublin on Aer lingus. Ryanair not up yet.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Plenty flights from Dublin on Aer lingus. Ryanair not up yet.

We're in limerick tho so Shannon would be handier. Accommodation seems reasonable aswell.

Flights and accommodation booked, just have to start training for it next!

Flights and accommodation booked, just have to start training for it next!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

can I shamelessly piggyback on others hard work and ask for hotel suggestions ?

Lex Luther wrote: »
    can I shamelessly piggyback on others hard work and ask for hotel suggestions ?

Old Trafford Lodge seems grand, there's the Ramada, Premier Inn, loads of options really close to the start.

• Advertisement

Lex,

I stayed in the Ramada last year and it was fine, but there was another hotel beside it that looked very new and it was advertising seriously cheap room rates (too late for me as I was checking into the Ramada)

I'll see if I can find the name.

TBL

Our group have gone for Premier Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Where have your group gone for Gaz? :D

Beef wrote: »
    Where have your group gone for Gaz? :D

Most are in premier inn Portland st and a few more in premier inn just around d corner (not sure of street name) about 12 of us so far. Flying from shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Interesting - its on my list of possibles.
    Heard the same on the course - Flat but uninteresting.

Lex,

Ibis budget Salford Quay.

Walking distance and supposed to be very cheap and clean.

Have a look ar it on Trip advisor.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Interesting - its on my list of possibles.
    Heard the same on the course - Flat but uninteresting.

I don't care what's around me scenery wise, I heard the atmosphere is very good. I'll even put up with running near Old Trafford. ;)

Just give me that flat course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Just signed up and booked flights for this. I like the sound of the fast flat course... now to dream up a completely unrealistic target time!

Advertisement