Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Manchester Marathon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Does anyone know if this marathon acts as a Boston or London qualifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

Ya it does count as a qualifier

Ya it does count as a qualifier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Yes - See website

Are the switch-backs bad? I see on the map there's at lease 3- does it interrupt your stride, i.e lose time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Are the switch-backs bad? I see on the map there's at lease 3- does it interrupt your stride, i.e lose time?

Not that bad in my opinion.

I actually enjoy seeing the faster runners going by on the other side.

Feel like if I could only up the pace a bit I'd be just behind the lead car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The switchbacks help with motivation, while you are on the other end looking at the slower runners. You also are conscious of not showing pain or running with bad form, so it helps you to push on :)

You can also use the turning points as a psychological marker.
    Every little bit helps.

Does anyone know if we will be turning around a roundabout or just around a cone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aer Lingus have flights out on the morning of the race landing into Manchester at 7:30am which should be fine for a 9am start (less than 15mins away).
    I'm thinking of an over and back the same day approach to this. Anyone else have the same plan or any thoughts on this?
    (I appreciate there is a risk in the flight being delayed and that in those circumstances the 90mins window between landing and running will be whittled away quickly)
    It appears that arranging pick-up on the morning of the race should be doable too.

My own personal choice would be to fly the day before as you will have to leave your own house at an unearthly hour, the stress of travel delays or road closures due to marathon, not to mention correct timing for breakfast etc. Not the greatest of preparation for a marathon you will have invested alot of training time and energy into. But i appreciate that financial or other factors may not allow an overnight. Perhaps ask someone you know to pick up your race number the previous day, have a military plan in place for food and travel and be ready to change to plan B just in case. Fingers crossed for you and the best of luck with the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

belcarra wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have flights out on the morning of the race landing into Manchester at 7:30am which should be fine for a 9am start (less than 15mins away).
    I'm thinking of an over and back the same day approach to this. Anyone else have the same plan or any thoughts on this?
    (I appreciate there is a risk in the flight being delayed and that in those circumstances the 90mins window between landing and running will be whittled away quickly)
    It appears that arranging pick-up on the morning of the race should be doable too.

Flying over that morning sounds mad to me, even if the flight is on time. Too early a start, too much stress. I haven't fully decided on this one yet, but if I do, I'll book a flight the day before

belcarra wrote: »

Was just discussing arrangements with Beef.

I think its a big risk to do that J.

I'll be going over on the Sat, picking up my number at the expo and chilling with a movie for the evening.
    Might come back on Sunday night as I don't think Mrs AMK is coming over.

If there's a few people staying on the night for a few beers than I could be tempted to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'll be heading over on the Saturday for the expo without doubt. The thoughts of catching a flight on the morning of a marathon would freak me out! I'll have my sister and maybe the wife with me too, so I might make a weekend of it and fly home on the Monday. I won't look strange going up the steps of the plane backwards right? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I did the Appledorn marathon in Holland two years ago, over and back in the same day, but it didn't start till 11 or 12, and I wasnt planning on a PB.

I think Ryanair have some late night flights on the Saturday night and you can get back on the Sunday evening.

I wouldn't chance the morning flight with that tight a turnaround time.

TbL

If there's a few people staying on the night for a few beers than I could be tempted to stay.

well there's a group of about 30 of us heading over the Sat till Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Decided to go for this one, have everything booked, just have to do the training and stay healthy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Think I'll sign up for this one too.

The presenters of the Marathon Talk podcast are running it and listening to them starting their training programme has really made want want to give it a lash.

Haven't ran a marathon since DCM 2012 so looking forward to getting stuck into those 3-hour long runs in the freezing, cold, dark Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Just for my own interest I was checking to see what kind of gels they are giving out on the day for this. Not familiar with these yokes - has anyone else used them? I might order some to try out in training. I've been staying away from gels in training so far.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clif-bar-shot-bloks-18-x-60g/

How's the training going everyone? First 20 miler for me tomorrow - in a bloody hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I signed up last week.

16 mile run yesterday with 10 at MP (7:05 mins/mile) - went surprising well, cause I was dreading it beforehand.

Don't think I'd be able to chew on those Shot Blok yokes whilst running - i'll have to bring my own gels I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

A few of us heading over from clonliffe for this one

training going ok,

• Advertisement

Anyone got any recommendations for hotels nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

ramada salford quays,close to old trafford stadium which is race hq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

A few of us heading over from clonliffe for this one

training going ok

Was hoping last year to head over to this but it wasn't to be! I'll be looking for opinions on the whole experience from all concerned!

charkee wrote: »
    ramada salford quays,close to old trafford stadium which is race hq

seems to be booked out.

Copthorne Hotel Manchester is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

seems to be booked out.

Copthorne Hotel Manchester is available.

Did you try premier inn @ old Trafford?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Did you try premier inn @ old Trafford?

thanks - got one in the end.

Booked my flights for this, flying out Saturday and returning Monday morning. The nerves always kick in once the "book" button is pressed. 5 weeks and counting from this Sunday.

Flights booked yesterday as well - Ryanair - over on Sat Evening / home Monday 12pm (€61)
    Staying at Copthorne Hotel.

When registering for the marathon it asked the question; "Do you want to be apart of the pacing team"? I take it that means do you want to be a pacee? if it means do you want to stalk his/her every move so they drag you home for new pb ....then perhaps i should have answered yes! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Flights booked yesterday as well - Ryanair - over on Sat Evening / home Monday 12pm (€61)
    Staying at Copthorne Hotel.

Mad jealous! Had hoped to do this one but just didn't work out. Some serious value to be had! Hope the race turns out to be good value too. eports from last year are very good.

Advertisement