Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Manchester Marathon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

how's everyones training for this going. My highest mileage week this week. Really looking forward to the marathon but keeping one eye on the body, injury free and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

how's everyones training for this going. My highest mileage week this week. Really looking forward to the marathon but keeping one eye on the body, injury free and all that.

my training's been going only just okay for this one... mileage has been somewhat inconsistent, with some weeks of 60+ and others barely scraping mid-20's.

Having said that, ran a PB in Bohermeen half last weekend, which puts the "unrealistic" marathon target time back in scope.

Now looking forward to the penultimate LSR tomorrow, and two good weeks of mileage to keep sharp before a long awaited taper (and the madness that accompanies it!).

Dont you love the madness that comes with tapering...."i feel an injury in my big toe, my speed has gone, is that someone with a flu coming towards me 2miles away":)

Well done on a new PB, great for the confidence going into a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Priorities 1st - We'll need to get a HQ for the after race drinks.............any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I have a couple of Manchester United supporting buddies I must garner some local knowledge from them. Mulligans in Deansgate seem to be the best of the Irish bars (required for post race Guinness)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

A 20 miler on Saturday, then its taper time. Thank f*ck. I've been following a P&D schedule for the first time and am finding it tough. Legs are constantly knackered.

Looking forward to April 6th though. Gonna give it a lash.

For me it's 22 on Saturday and 14 at MP next Wednesday. After that things get 'tapery'. By tapery I mean washing my hands 200 times a day and checking the weather forecast 400 times.

6x20+ miles under the belt, so 18 on Saturday following a short MP session on Friday (1x15 mins + 2X10 mins @ MP).

Last 20miles for me this weekend. That will be 3 X20miles, 1X22miles and 3X18miles done. Bit fearful as I've not included any MP in my longer session as I'm afraid of getting a niggle... Is it too late to do it this weekend on my last 20miler or will i just pray my mid week tempo sessions will get me through? Any thoughts much appreciated.

No, not too late. Many programs would have this week as the peak week, with the longest run or with some MP involved.
    Even if you don't do MP, doing a few more miles at MP +30 or MP+45 secs will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Ah lads, making me feeling really under-prepared with my two 20 mile longest runs. Had a good final long one yesterday, 20 miles with last 7 faster than my planned marathon pace (7:05ish). 3 weeks to worry about not having done enough long ones.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Race Information Book who is that pacer on the cover ??

I didnt realise i was supposed to opt into a pacing team when registering:eek:. I presumed this was asking if i wanted to pace others. Seemingly those of you who opted in will be sent out a number for your back with your target time on it. Oh BTW, prizes are only for UK athletes only. :(

I didnt realise i was supposed to opt into a pacing team when registering:eek:. I presumed this was asking if i wanted to pace others. Seemingly those of you who opted in will be sent out a number for your back with your target time on it. Oh BTW, prizes are only for UK athletes only. :(

I presume we can pick our race numbers on the morning of the race (I guess Irish runners are classed as 'International Athletes' and we wont be getting our number posted to us??).

I see from a different thread that we have the same target for the race.
    Be good to meet up before hand!

I didn't opt in either as I didn't know what time I was going to be aiming for. I'd rather not have a big number on my back if I blow up! :)
    I presume we can pick our race numbers on the morning of the race (I guess Irish runners are classed as 'International Athletes' and we wont be getting our number posted to us??).

I think I'll head to the expo on the Saturday in order to get my bearings and plan my taxi/tram route. I think I read on the website you can collect the numbers there on the Saturday up until 4pm...

Beef wrote: »

I think I'll head to the expo on the Saturday in order to get my bearings and plan my taxi/tram route. I think I read on the website you can collect the numbers there on the Saturday up until 4pm...

I wont have landed by 4pm.
    There's a pick up at 7:30am on race day - had hoped to avoid that but seems to be what I'll be doing.

I wont have landed by 4pm.
    There's a pick up at 7:30am on race day - had hoped to avoid that but seems to be what I'll be doing.

If you want me to collect it for you I can. I'm staying in the city centre though so not sure if it helps you in any way?

I see from a different thread that we have the same target for the race.
    Be good to meet up before hand!

Great stuff AuldManKing. Will def try to meet up before hand. Have you done that target time before?

Great stuff AuldManKing. Will def try to meet up before hand. Have you done that target time before?

Nope!! 1st time attempt at the time (but am confident :pac:)

Nope!! 1st time attempt at the time (but am confident :pac:)

Best time to date? Hows training going?

• Advertisement

Best time to date? Hows training going?

3.23 in Oct '12.

Felt I was in 3:05 shape last Oct, but pulled out of DCM with calf injury 5 weeks beforehand.

A 62:39 10 mile in Dungarvan on a $hitty day gives me a lot of confidence and all my MP efforts in training are at the 6:45'ish range.

I've 2x22miles and 4x20 miles complete - so feeling in good shape.
    What about you?

3.23 in Oct '12.

Felt I was in 3:05 shape last Oct, but pulled out of DCM with calf injury 5 weeks beforehand.

A 62:39 10 mile in Dungarvan on a $hitty day gives me a lot of confidence and all my MP efforts in training are at the 6:45'ish range.

I've 2x22miles and 4x20 miles complete - so feeling in good shape.
    What about you?

Woweeee......

Great 10mile PB and training preparation, based on those you have a fantastic change at meeting the target.
    I also ran the Dungarvan 10 this year...what a day, first 3miles were unreal. I ran 63mins there.

as for me Marathon PB 3.02.02, so fingers and toes and everything else crossed.

If you want me to collect it for you I can. I'm staying in the city centre though so not sure if it helps you in any way?

Thanks Beef - nah, I'll pick it up on the morning of the race.
    Thanks for the offer though.

Howdy folks. My friends can only come up with 'The Printworks' as a post race destination... It looks like a typical touristy -get them in, get them hammered kind of place. Anyone else here familiar with the area or know of any good places?
    This is very important so never mind your tapers.

Howdy folks. My friends can only come up with 'The Printworks' as a post race destination... It looks like a typical touristy -get them in, get them hammered kind of place. Anyone else here familiar with the area or know of any good places?

Maybe if we know where most people are staying we can arrange a meeting pub around the majority. No point arranging a meeting spot in town if everyone is staying out in old Trafford. And vis versa. I'm staying in Ibis hotel near old Trafford but if the majority are in town ill scrap my potentially aching and battered body into town.

I agree with LTS - meeting somewhere local initially may be the way to go.

Maybe for later in the evening ;)
    http://www.manchesterbars.com/mulligans.htm (Live 'Irish' music every Sun night)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Maybe if we know where most people are staying we can arrange a meeting pub around the majority. No point arranging a meeting spot in town if everyone is staying out in old Trafford. And vis versa. I'm staying in Ibis hotel near old Trafford but if the majority are in town ill scrap my potentially aching and battered body into town.

Makes sense.
    I'm in the Ibis too.

I agree with LTS - meeting somewhere local initially may be the way to go.

Maybe for later in the evening ;)
    http://www.manchesterbars.com/mulligans.htm (Live 'Irish' music every Sun night)

I like your style AMK......Mulligans for "after hours" ..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Very easy to pick up your number on the morning of the race. I did it last year.

BTW, severe shortage on toilets at the start so be prepared.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Jmcmen wrote: »

BTW, severe shortage on toilets at the start so be prepared.

Not that I needed an excuse to pi$$ on the walls of old trafford :)

Advertisement