Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Manchester Marathon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Very easy to pick up your number on the morning of the race. I did it last year.

BTW, severe shortage on toilets at the start so be prepared.

Enjoy

Jmcmen is the course as flat as they are advertising it? Plus how are the switchbacks? Are there separate corals or does every one pretty much start where they want? In Frankfurt were were segregated into time related corals. Prevented alot of congestion however I still failed to find my pacer. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jmcmen is the course as flat as they are advertising it? Plus how are the switchbacks? Are there separate corals or does every one pretty much start where they want? In Frankfurt were were segregated into time related corals. Prevented alot of congestion however I still failed to find my pacer. :-(

If you look at the videos on the website - it shows some of the switchbacks.
    Also - on the photos on the website, you can see that the sub3 pacers start virtually on the line.

I'd be interested on the flatness of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Check this out, the elevation graph is at the bottom.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/fullscreen/111929753/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

They have a link now for the online tracking on the day also. I'm on my phone now but will stick up the link later if nobody else does. It gets very real when you can see your name and bib number. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

If you look at the videos on the website - it shows some of the switchbacks.
    Also - on the photos on the website, you can see that the sub3 pacers start virtually on the line.

Tis very flat alright, cant remember any hills of note.

Support is excellent up to mile17 or something then you head out to the countryside for a spin for 4miles. Fairly boring so be prepared to keep yourself mentally in tune and entertained.

No problems at the switch backs as far as I can remember.

The start was fairly random. I was at the back between 3:30 to 3:45 pacers with my sister who was doing her first. Dont think there was any corals. Its not that big of a marathon so it wasn't really that congested.

Great Water and food stations. They give out bags of water that you squeeze to get the water out of. They are by far and a way the best way of getting water into you at a race I have been at to date.

Any other Qs?

• Advertisement

Jmcmen wrote: »

Any other Qs?

Regarding picking up your race number on race day - the blurb indicates that it needs to be done before 7:30am.
    I dont particularly want to be there that early - can you recall how close it was to race time last year when you got yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Regarding picking up your race number on race day - the blurb indicates that it needs to be done before 7:30am.
    I dont particularly want to be there that early - can you recall how close it was to race time last year when you got yours?

Think it was about 30-45mins before the race. We got a taxi out I remember then had to walk for a bit due to traffic. Was a little flustered as I thought we were late but was just a wee desk on its own and no hassle at it.

Just saw on their facebook page that oversea entrance can collect their numbers on the Saturday between 10am and 4. Will save us being at the start at 7am the morning of the event.

Just saw on their facebook page that oversea entrance can collect their numbers on the Saturday between 10am and 4. Will save us being at the start at 7am the morning of the event.

unfortunately I'm only getting in about 6pm - so will have no option but to pick it up on race day.

Forgot to put this up. On the phone again.

Facebook updates to your profile
    http://m.racetecresults.com/fb.aspx?r=657

Tracking
    http://m.racetecresults.com/Search.aspx?R=657

• Advertisement

How's everyone feeling on the count down to this weekend. Excited, nervous?

How's everyone feeling on the count down to this weekend. Excited, nervous?

A bit of both as usual, starting to look at the weather forecast now too.

starting to look at the weather forecast now too.[/QUOTE]

Update please...:P

starting to look at the weather forecast now too.

Update please...:P[/QUOTE]

Version 1:

Version 2:

Both say some rain with winds 10-14 mph - but both are different to when I checked them yesterday :pac:

Pffft - ye're only checking the weather now? What kind of tapering do ye call that? :D
    So far it's been forecast to be unseasonably warm, mild with rain, clear with a very cold start to the day and also dry but cloudy. :cool:

To be fair - we're at nothing forecast wise till about Friday I reckon.

Update please...:P

Version 1:

Version 2:

Both say some rain with winds 10-14 mph - but both are different to when I checked them yesterday :pac:[/QUOTE]

Ah here now...this rain and wind malarkey wont do anything for my hair...:eek:
    Drownd, wind swept look while crossing the line is sooo last season. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Typical tapering insanity question:

What will you do for breakfast in the morning of the race?!!

I have to get to race and collect my number early, so will be up before my hotel kicks off with breakfast. First time I've done a race abroad, so this is all new.

I'm bringing a little tub of instant porridge oats. Flahavan's do them.
    I've had them at home before long runs as part of my prep. I'm hoping Manchester bananas are the same as Irish bananas. :)

What do you normally eat?

I'll pick up a couple of bananas in a shop over there and hopefully get some plain white toast in the hotel (collecting number on Sat). I'd say finding a spot for dinner the evening before is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

vinny1313 wrote: »
    I'll pick up a couple of bananas in a shop over there and hopefully get some plain white toast in the hotel (collecting number on Sat). I'd say finding a spot for dinner the evening before is more important.

When I was looking into doing this marathon last year I saw that there's an Italian restaurant in the Ramada hotel near enough to Old Trafford. Unfortunately it wasn't to be for me but it could be an option if you're staying close.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a great crowd heading over to do this. Would love to be going myself. Was offered a number a couple of weeks ago by a friend who is injured but I just wouldn't have had enough training done. I can't wait to hear how everyone gets on!

Ideally, like yourself, I'd have a bowl of porridge and a banana, and maybe some toast. Just need to pack a gas cooker to heat it up!

I was planning on having large lunch before I fly out from Dublin on Saturday afternoon and then topping-up in Manchester on Saturday night.

Some people run in memory of lost love ones or worthy charities - my motivation will be post-marathon beer and chips at home on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Great Italian right on Portland street. Right nxt door is a massage parlour at number 44. I supPose you could get a pre race rub and a post race one with a happy ending. Lol

Great Italian right on Portland street. Right nxt door is a massage parlour at number 44. I supPose you could get a pre race rub and a post race one with a happy ending. Lol

Very detailed knowledge of the local "scene" there vr!! :D

Typical tapering insanity question:

What will you do for breakfast in the morning of the race?!!

I have to get to race and collect my number early, so will be up before my hotel kicks off with breakfast. First time I've done a race abroad, so this is all new.

If the hotel doesn't offer early breakie ask at the reception on check in if u can pop down to the kitchen Early in morning to stick on two slices of toast or perhaps a porter may oblige. Tell them your situation, I'm hoping this will work for me.

I'm finding the week is dragging a bit now. How are all the rest of you doing?

Ready to go now. Just wanna get stuck in and give it a lash at this stage.

Started to tear into the carbs today - bagel, banana, fruit and porridge downed by 10 o'clock this morning. At this rate I'll barely be able to waddle come Sunday.

Nerves are winning out over excitement at the moment. I know once I'm over there with number in my hand I'll be raring to go. (fingers crossed).

The body is feeling good - a lot of nervous energy around as the weekend draws (ever so slowly) closer.

Like LTS - I know once I'm on the start line and the adrenaline is pumping, it'll all be good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Unfortunately I've had to make the very difficult decision to withdraw from this race. Picked up a slight injury last week, but there's no chance of being fully fit in time. Gutted, as I was in the form of my life, and really fancied breaking 2:50 on a flat course. Am now considering Newry or Cork in a couple of months, or may just wait until Berlin which was my goal race for the year.

Best of luck to all who make the start line. I'll be following those of you I know online.

I'm happy to offer my flights if anyone wants them for the cost of the name change with Aer Lingus (€100 according to AL website):
    departing Dublin @10:05 Sat 5th April
    departing Manchester @ 20:15 Sun 6th April

PM me if interested.

Advertisement