Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Manchester Marathon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Beef looks to be through 20 miles close to target.

2:53:10 (less the start mat difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Results not coming up!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

3:00:36
    I done a Gavlor on it :)

Felt great all the way through. Twinge in the hammy at 22 miles, but ok to keep going. Severe cramp at 25 miles caused me to stop and stretch and shuffle. Another cramp with about 800m to go and I knew it was gone.

Still a savage PB . From 1 to 25 miles it went very well.
    Liketosmile ran a superb race, very controlled. I paced her to her sub 3 :)

Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Superb PB Alan! It's well in the bag for the next one...
    Those pints are gonna taste so good!

Felt great all the way through. Twinge in the hammy at 22 miles, but ok to keep going. Severe cramp at 25 miles caused me to stop and stretch and shuffle. Another cramp with about 800m to go and I knew it was gone.

Onwards and upwards.

Excellent performance

• Advertisement

3:50:19 for Beef (minus start mat difference)
    Good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Onwards and upwards.

Well done Alan, great performance. Enjoy the pints, very well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Unlucky AMK. Marathon is a cruel beast, That's still a massive leap from a 3:24 PB.

By my calulations Beef's chip time was 3:47:30. I think he will be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

"I done a Gavlor"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For the Marathon Talk listeners, it looks like Tom negative splitted for a 2:53:03 while Martin went backwards for a 2:57:43.

Should be good banter on next week's podcast :)

• Advertisement

Super running Beef. Good man. We''ll do pints later.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

3.01.32 for me.

Absolutely loved it. 6 min PB for me. My A goal was 3.05 so surprised to keep her lit for that time. Plenty of Irish running and supporting.

In airport now after celebratory pint. Ready for bed.

Oh, and was chatting to Martin Yelling afterwards, he was f**cked. I'll be interested to see what he says in next podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Just awake after a nap, haven't slept properly for a week! I managed to 11 mins off my pb, finishing in 3:31, which was especially satisfying as my last 3 marathons hadn't gone to plan. I ran a negetive split by 3 mins too, which I didn't think I had in me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Howdy folks! Thanks for all your following online even if the tracker is ****e! :)

I felt awful for first 3 miles and was absolutely covered in sweat. I seemed to perk up a bit once I got a bit of a breeze on me and felt comfortable through to mile 19. That bloody left hammer went into spasm at that stage and I had to walk shuffle and dig my fingers in to get going again. The last 5 were a bit of a death march tbh but delighted with the time considering. Had a bit of a blokic moment afterwards when I decided to give the concrete a bit of a kiss when getting off the tram. Don't remember much about that. Nothing other than a bruised face and ego thankfully. :)
    Sister went out with 4:30 pacers and came home in 4:22. She is buzzing! We both are. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well done Beef. Delighted for you.

We need a dictionary of "I done a xxxxxx" and sticky it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great stuff, well done for seeing it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great running folks. AMK I am gutted for you. Super PB. Enjoy the night on the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

uote="Gavlor;89802744"]Surely worth an engagement ring :D[/quote]

"If ya like it put a ring on it....." :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Onwards and upwards.[/quote]

Boardie pacing team get this man a sub 3 pacing gig, did a fantastic job with me. Cheers AMK.

• Advertisement

I got an early tram from Manchester Piccadilly station – mad to see dozens of Saturday night revellers sprawled all over the station while I was on my way to out to run 26 miles. Arrived to race village at Old Trafford in plenty of time to collect my race number, get changed and call/wake my wife. Really well ran baggage area, and good to know my bag would be safe with the military guys looking after it.

Quick pee against the walls of Old Trafford and then a 5 minute walk to the start line. Positioned myself between 3 hr and 3.15 pacers. Got a bit worried when I saw Marathon Talk guys beside me – knew they were aiming for well under 3 hours. And we’re off – first two miles felt downhill, and I’m travelling way too fast, 6:49’s when the aim was 7:03’s. I spent a lot of the first half of the race telling myself to slow down, with the aim of being within 10 seconds per mile of my target pace. Plenty of Irish runners and supporters to be seen.
    I normally listen to music on my log runs, but the crowds and music along the course are great so I go without to soak up the atmosphere. At halfway there’s a kids choir, singing a Katy Perry ‘Fireworks’ which is a big favourite with my kids, and that got me a bit choked up. Wuss. Got to halfway in 1.31, which I knew was faster than I hoped, but felt like I was running within myself so feck it, crack on.

From 20 miles I started to pick people off, maintaining my 7 minute mile pace as others slowed down. I know people say to develop a mantra for those last few miles to help you get through it. Mine was ‘Catch this c**t’ aimed at the next person in front of me. Classy I know, but it worked for me!
    When Old Trafford came into view I knew I would be able to maintain my pace til the end. But the long road for the last mile was torture, and the stadium seemed to be moving away from me instead of getting closer. Got running beside another fella at the same pace and challenged him to a sprint finish for the craic at 26 miles. So we rounded the corner, and went for it down the finish straight. My Garmin had been acting up a bit so I was surprised and delighted to see 3.01 something on the clock. Couldn’t believe it, chuffed and felt fresh enough afterwards.

Six minutes off my ten-year old PB and GFA for London, which I’ve always fancied doing. A great days work, and I have to say I loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I know people say to develop a mantra for those last few miles to help you get through it. Mine was ‘Catch this c**t’ aimed at the next person in front of me.

I'm nicking that!

Six minutes off my ten-year old PB and GFA for London, which I’ve always fancied doing. A great days work, and I have to say I loved every minute of it.[/QUOTE]

I think you could probably call that a successful outing! 6 min pb after 10 years.. wow! Surely the sub 3 is on in London '15 or sooner!

........Got running beside another fella at the same pace and challenged him to a sprint finish for the craic at 26 miles. So we rounded the corner, and went for it down the finish straight. My Garmin had been acting up a bit so I was surprised and delighted to see 3.01 something on the clock. Couldn’t believe it, chuffed and felt fresh enough afterwards.

Six minutes off my ten-year old PB and GFA for London, which I’ve always fancied doing. A great days work, and I have to say I loved every minute of it.

Great running. Super PB......and I hope you topped it off by winning the sprint as well;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Great running. Super PB......and I hope you topped it off by winning the sprint as well;)

Ha ha, yeah I won the sprint - made me think I didn't waste enough energy in the previous 26 miles!

Ha ha, yeah I won the sprint - made me think I didn't waste enough energy in the previous 26 miles!

Excellent...that's the kinda finish that will bring you back for bigger and better things. Enjoy the recovery.

Isn't it funny how you always think that after a bit of a burst to finish! No matter how knackered you've been feeling for maybe the previous ten miles you're there thinking "jaysus I didn't push myself hard enough!" or "I left at least 30 seconds out there!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how you always think that after a bit of a burst to finish! No matter how knackered you've been feeling for maybe the previous ten miles you're there thinking "jaysus I didn't push myself hard enough!" or "I left at least 30 seconds out there!"

or 5 :mad:

• Advertisement

Well all who were there! What's the overall verdict on Manchester? Worth considering for 2015? How was it re accommodation, course, organisation, stewarding, support/atmosphere etc.?

Advertisement