Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best seasons for national parks

Options
  • 12-08-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the best seasons/times of the year are for the variious wildlife in the 6 national parks (Glenveagh Co. Donegal; Killarney, Co. Kerry; The Burren, Co. Clare; Wicklow Mountains; Connemara, Co. Galway; Ballycroy, Co. mayo).

In other words, Glenveagh may best in winter because of the eagles, whereas Killarney may be best in summer for bird watching.

Any insight or help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'd say Killarney in autumn, for the deer rut and the eagles.

I reckon the mix of species in Wicklow is best in the Summer because the majority of species there are breeding then.

The others - I don't know! I'd imagine Connemara and Ballycroy wouldn't be too hospitable in the winter, but I've never visited either so someone else will be able to advise better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wunsquurr

Thanks!

Killarney seems to be fairly active throughout the year, so hopefully I can find some more information on the other parks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Could anyone recommend a particular location for viewing deer and eagles in Killarney national park? I dont know the park at all and want to make the most of it when I go down.

Thanks

Advertisement