Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Property Management Company

• 12-08-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if I am on correct forum, apologies if this is case. I bought an apartment a few years ago. Obviously it was tied into property management company. Every year I have paid their charges which of course I'm obliged to do. However over last 12 months I have had reasonable requests to this company completely ignored as have many of my neighbours. For example a serious security issue around last Christmas was not addressed at all and we had to sort locksmiths etc ourselves, which we were eventually reimbursed for after quite a delay and we were given a "slap on wrist"

I made a decision not to pay the fees this year because I thought that by not doing so it would highlight the to be frank poor service I am paying over 1200 euro a year for.It is a lovely estate to be fair and the landscaping company are amazing but after going to countless AGMs raising issues such as blocked guttering, dampness spreading from common areas towards apartments and a communal door hanging on by a feather, nothing has been done.

Recently I have received correspondence from Company telling me that I was overdue by however many months on by payment. I politely said that I felt I was within my rights to hold off until these issues are addressed (Legally I am not I guess) I am not trying to shy out of paying, but I, and a few others genuinely feel that we are not getting what we have always paid on time for.

Should I just put up,pay up and shut up?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Due North wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I am on correct forum, apologies if this is case. I bought an apartment a few years ago. Obviously it was tied into property management company. Every year I have paid their charges which of course I'm obliged to do. However over last 12 months I have had reasonable requests to this company completely ignored as have many of my neighbours. For example a serious security issue around last Christmas was not addressed at all and we had to sort locksmiths etc ourselves, which we were eventually reimbursed for after quite a delay and we were given a "slap on wrist"

I made a decision not to pay the fees this year because I thought that by not doing so it would highlight the to be frank poor service I am paying over 1200 euro a year for.It is a lovely estate to be fair and the landscaping company are amazing but after going to countless AGMs raising issues such as blocked guttering, dampness spreading from common areas towards apartments and a communal door hanging on by a feather, nothing has been done.

Recently I have received correspondence from Company telling me that I was overdue by however many months on by payment. I politely said that I felt I was within my rights to hold off until these issues are addressed (Legally I am not I guess) I am not trying to shy out of paying, but I, and a few others genuinely feel that we are not getting what we have always paid on time for.

Should I just put up,pay up and shut up?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Owners not paying the fees is most likely what has caused the problems with the Man Co in the first place so you may in fact only be making things less likely to change. If you want to change things at the MC either through Legal action or by acting throgh the MC itself (becoming a director etc) you need to be in good standing with the MC and that means paying the management fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not paying is the absolute worst thing you can do. Being behind in payments normally means you are not permitted to vote at any company AGM/EGM. This would be specified in your Lease Contract documents.

You should definitely pay up, but also you, and your fellow unit owners, should not allow substandard service.

If the issue is with the management agent, then write directly to the directors of the management company. They are most likely fellow unit owners.

Of course, you are always welcome to put yourself forward to be a director, and if enough people vote for you, you then have a lot more power to control what is done and what is not done (usually due to people not paying their management fees and funds not being available).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

Make sure that you're aware of the distinction between the management company, i.e. you the shareholders, and the management agents, i.e. the commercial company tasked with the day to day running of the complex.

Maybe set up a residents committee to liaise with the management agents and consider electing directors to the board of the management company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    Make sure that you're aware of the distinction between the management company, i.e. you the shareholders, and the management agents, i.e. the commercial company tasked with the day to day running of the complex.

Maybe set up a residents committee to liaise with the management agents and consider electing directors to the board of the management company.

If the members of the management company are not satisfied with the services provided by the management agent, it is within their power to change the management agent. Check out you contracts, it would need agreement at an AGM or EGM. We did it in our estate.

By not paying your annual management service fee, it is preventing essential service from being provided. You will be liable for these fees as last long as you own the property, if you sell the property, any outstanding fees owed to the management company can be deducted from the sale.

Advertisement