Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware Order To Take 6 Weeks?

Options
  • 12-08-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have just ordered an Alienware laptop but the confirmation email states the delivery date as the 29th Sept. Is this correct? Does it really take this long?

More importantly, is it worth it as I know there are other gaming laptop options out there?

Any opinions/experiences welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Was it a custom model you ordered or just a standard model?
    I imagine there would be more of a delay in CTO models around this time of year, especially with Alienware.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭xgwishyx

It was custom but I would assume that they would have the parts there ready to be built and shipped, 6 weeks just seems a bit excessive. Also my current laptop is dying and I'm not sure it will last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Did you order a Haswell processor? That might contribute to the delay as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Just checked some of the CTO models, the majority have the ship date listed as later in August, some mid-september.

No harm firing them an email to see if it's correct.

Torqay wrote: »
    Did you order a Haswell processor? That might contribute to the delay as well.
    It is the Intel i7-4700MQ processor, is there a delay with them? I had a Google and didn't find anything recent about stock issues?

Cheers Roast and Torqay, I will send on an email this evening to ask for more info on the delivery date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Backlog in orders, They only came out in, what June? .. Supposedly quite a list of buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 82,884 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Back to school, well known brand, custom-spec built to order laptops? Yeah they take a minute.

Not the place to rant but customers often have impractical demands. "I want this specific thing and this specific thing tied to this specific feature". Yes, that is available, but its specialty nature means we have to order it in "NO I NEED IT NOW" - I can't just make it appear out of thin air..

There are other gaming laptops out there. Invesigate ASUS Republic of Gamers for instance. If you want the Alienware but can't work within that delivery time because of school etc. you may wish to think about your decision again. However, if it is for school primarily you could also just rely on the computer labs for the first month of your course, the laptop usually just serves as a handy way to tackle homework at - well, home.

Overheal wrote: »
    Back to school, well known brand, custom-spec built to order laptops? Yeah they take a minute.

Not the place to rant but customers often have impractical demands. "I want this specific thing and this specific thing tied to this specific feature". Yes, that is available, but its specialty nature means we have to order it in "NO I NEED IT NOW" - I can't just make it appear out of thin air..

There are other gaming laptops out there. Invesigate ASUS Republic of Gamers for instance. If you want the Alienware but can't work within that delivery time because of school etc. you may wish to think about your decision again. However, if it is for school primarily you could also just rely on the computer labs for the first month of your course, the laptop usually just serves as a handy way to tackle homework at - well, home.
    It's not for school (I'm a lot longer out of school than I care to admit!) but I am probably being unrealistic with my expectations, cheers for the advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,884 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

im scarred from retail don't mind me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you happened to order the machine with 780M(s) that'll be what's holding it up. The card is on back-order. Most people are seeing a minimum of a two week delay. That said, your EDD is most-likely being over-estimated, so it should arrive before the 29th anyway.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the advice folks, I spoke to them and they estimate it will actually arrive in the 1st week of September but I've calmed down now and can wait if needed!

I doubt that anyone wants an update on this, but in case anyone is interested my Alienware has not yet arrived. I've been onto Dell and apparantly it was delivered to the UK 2 weeks ago and currently is missing. The Twitter support team are looking into it and hopefully I'll have an update soon.

I think this may be karma for giving out on Boards about the estimated delivery date..... :(

I ordered mine on the 15th of August, and it arrived at the door on the 28th. That's with the 765M, and ordered from Dell Canada, shipped to Canada. (So Dell EMEA, same as IE or UK)

Serephucus wrote: »
    I ordered mine on the 15th of August, and it arrived at the door on the 28th. That's with the 765M, and ordered from Dell Canada, shipped to Canada. (So Dell EMEA, same as IE or UK)
    I'm very jealous! In fairness, it looks like mine should have arrived shortly after the 26th August as that's when it was shipped to the UK. Just bad luck on my part, hope you're enjoying your new setup though :)

It's actually pretty nice. The screen is better than I was expecting, as is the audio (though it's not as good as my girlfriend's XPS), but I think I'll be upgrading to a 780M at some point. I'm a little underwhelmed by the 765M's performance.

Oh, and if for some reason you'd prefer as US layout keyboard, I'd be up for swapping for a UK one. ;)

I went with the 770M, I'll let you know how she performs when she gets here.

+1 for the UK keyboard layout, the pain of typing quotation marks accidentally on a US layout.... *shudder* So no-can-do with the swapping, sorry! ;)

No worries, figured as much. ;)

Yeah, I'd be interested to see how the 770 does. From what I've seen, it's not a massive jump over the 765 (certainly not half way between a 765 and 780 like Dell's pricing would have you believe) but that was on NotebookCheck, who don't post the most consistent of benchmarks.

Ah yea, I'd take their benchmarking with a pinch of salt but I'm hopeful all the same! I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives here, fingers crossed that will be sooner rather than later!

Happy days, my laptop arrived today! Will play it to death over the weekend and report back on the performance of the 770M ;)

Advertisement