Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion tripping fuse for power sockets

Options
  • 12-08-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Any advice please. I am in mid terrace charlesland. When i got in today the trip switch for all sockets had tripped. It would not turn on again until i switched the emersion switch off. The timer was on to heat the water and when i turned this off i could switch the emersion switch in the fuse box back on without tripping the power.

Anyone know whats causing this? Do i need an electrician to check the electrics or a plumber to check the heating?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Your immersion element has expired.
    This is presenting a fault to the RCD which will not allow it to be reset when it is in circuit. Turning off the element removes this fault from the RCD (allowing it to be reset).

Solution: Replace the immersion element.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

2011 wrote: »
    Your immersion element has expired.
    This is presenting a fault to the RCD which will not allow it to be reset when it is in circuit. Turning off the element removes this fault from the RCD (allowing it to be reset).

Solution: Replace the immersion element.

Many thanks. Sorry if this sounds stupid but would a plumber or electrician do that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jimjay wrote: »
    would a plumber or electrician do that.

In it would be best to get a plumber to replace the element and an electrician to disconnect & reconnect the electrical connections, put that would be expensive and not very practical.

In relaity most plumbers would be able to connect the new element, it is quite straight forward. Elements are not expensive (I would guess < €30) and can be purchased in Chadwicks or Heat Merchants in Bray.

Advertisement