Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs Day - Line Up Revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

at the start it was ...purchase a ticket and see who you get (completely random and they had the likes of Tom Jones in a pub) ...but now that the marketing budget has dropped....who knows ??

they might tell people who are playing where and see if they sell out a pub or they might keep the big names for the gig at Guinness Storehouse and send the lesser known bands to the pubs etc (its only a tenner ...thats 2 pints)

to be fair it was a great idea to make it a national day ...but they messed it up by moving the date.... marketing fail 101....then making sure the bigger names get into the corporate sponsored guinness storehouse gig....tickets to the public VERY limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Corkbah wrote: »
    to be fair it was a great idea to make it a national day ...but they messed it up by moving the date.... marketing fail 101....

I don't think anyone cared about the date which I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. It had no actual connection with history anyway and the entire day was fabricated.

I will agree with you though that the lineup is getting poorer as time goes on. Whatever benefits this used to give us in terms of cheap/good music has diminished, leaving "drunken loola day brought to you by Diageo" in its wake.

I'd like to think people's patience for it is gone but having said that there'll be a lot of interest in Janelle Monae I'd reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The date has changed every year, it's just a random Thursday in September.

That line-up is dreadful. Maybe more announcements to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

..but they messed it up by moving the date.... marketing fail 101..
    The date is always a thursday as said, I have seen guinness use it like a play on words -ArTHURSDAY. But also it is the perfect day marketing wise. They would not do friday or saturday as pubs would be busy anyways, thursday would probably be the day most publicans would choose to have it on, just like I expect most publicans would prefer if they were forced to close on easter monday, or the tuesday after easter sunday, rather than good friday, when they would be brimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It should be Irish bands only. Or Guinness should pay for some good Irish bands to play abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

seachto7 wrote: »
    It should be Irish bands only. Or Guinness should pay for some good Irish bands to play abroad.

Sure Guinness themselves aren't even Irish. About as Irish now as a British Bulldog

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pretty cool to see Janelle Monae's name down for it. Bug fan of hers. Would like if she was on somewhere on the South East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

The Script <3

10 euro isn't a bad price at all.. Would these tickets sell out fast? I mean, there'd be no chance of getting a ticket a few days beforehand? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Mr.S wrote: »
    Arthur's Day is considered to be one of the better marketing campaigns of recent times, they literally created a second St Patricks Day / Festival and receive hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee exposure from it

but thats my point ..... it was a fantastic marketing ploy ... then they switched the date the following year and got "lesser" bands .... this year, again "lesser" bands, less promotion and as such - with the current trend .... unless they change tactic ... the day will be dropped in another 2/3yrs and within 5yrs people will have forgotten it.

in order to "create" a historic date you need to set the date, set the celebration time and promote, promote, promote ..... minimum of 5yrs of decent promotion (big names in small venues) ..... and before you know it .... people will remember arthurs day and will mark it on their calendars .... whatever happened to the petitions to have arthurs day as a national holiday ??? they failed because the date has been changed.

just my opinion - I could be talking shoite ...but it sounds like I have an idea on how to do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Who (with any credibility) would actually want to play for this marketing conglomerates promo day anyway?

I'd actually be disappointed in a way if someone i respected ended up playing for them

• Advertisement

but thats my point ..... it was a fantastic marketing ploy ... then they switched the date the following year and got "lesser" bands .... this year, again "lesser" bands, less promotion and as such - with the current trend .... unless they change tactic ... the day will be dropped in another 2/3yrs and within 5yrs people will have forgotten it.

in order to "create" a historic date you need to set the date, set the celebration time and promote, promote, promote ..... minimum of 5yrs of decent promotion (big names in small venues) ..... and before you know it .... people will remember arthurs day and will mark it on their calendars .... whatever happened to the petitions to have arthurs day as a national holiday ??? they failed because the date has been changed.

just my opinion - I could be talking shoite ...but it sounds like I have an idea on how to do it properly.

Moronic stuff. A national holiday to celebrate a brand? It's been a good marketing tool for Guinness, wouldn't be surprised it slowly fades away...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It should be Irish bands only.
    Why? do you feel the same about the "bud rising" and "heineken green energy" gigs?
    Would these tickets sell out fast?
    They are so cheap that many buy tickets for venues blindly just taking a risk.
    it was a fantastic marketing ploy ... then they switched the date the following year
    As explained, it was always intended to be a thursday. The first year it was 23sept, if it was kept the same it would have been a monday this year -I doubt publicans would like that. I expect many publicans wish St. Patricks day was on a thursday each year.

whatever happened to the petitions to have arthurs day as a national holiday ??? they failed because the date has been changed.
    :eek: I never heard of any petitions. I doubt they would want to attach a public holiday to a marketing campaign. Sinn fein were suggesting some new public holiday a while ago and I was pissed off they wanted it to be on a fixed date. "first monday in july" would be my preference.
    but it sounds like I have an idea on how to do it properly.
    I think they got it right, I hate fixed date public holidays. The bud rising & heineken green energy gigs also tended to be on days favourable to publican/venue owners too.
    nm wrote: »
    I'd actually be disappointed in a way if someone i respected ended up playing for them
    Can you name any bands you like, or the last 3 gigs you went to see. I'm sure people can dig up some sort of sponsorship or something they did.

Every year its the same, this weird hatred comes up because a brewery is subsidising bands to play. Yet budweiser & Heineken seem to not attract the same hatred when they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

What venue is Janelle Monae playing?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Guinness dont need "big acts" anymore since its already been established as 2nd paddys day of sorts . People are still gonna go out for Arthurs Day either way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Pretty sure this is always on the last Thursday of September. I actually think some of the acts are decent - James Vincent McMorrow and Janelle Monae are def worth seeing for instance.

Seems to be changed from last year - pretty sure it was free and the hook was that ''any act could play in your local'' (obviously decided in advance and names and venues were kept secret to get people to head to pubs associated with Arthur's Day).

Hopefully some of these acts play outside of Dublin but with I'd guess most of the headline artists (if not all) will play there..

Got it wrong there's gonna be 5 ticketed gigs (guessing 2 of the headliners at each ) in Dublin ( x2?) , Limerick, Cork and Belfast.

http://www.hotpress.com/James-Vincent-McMorrow/news/WATCH-Arthurs-Day-acts-get-ready/10091455.html

rubadub wrote: »
    Why? do you feel the same about the "bud rising" and "heineken green energy" gigs?

Arthur's Day was/is supposed to be advertising Guinness in Ireland and abroad. By extension, advertising Ireland. Why not advertise all the good bands Ireland has to offer? Why not have a bunch of them play in London to showcase Irish talent abroad, or play good venues in Dublin to crowds that wouldn't usually hear them?
    For the first few years they had national competitions for bands to play in Arthurs Day, and a final where you got to support one of the bigger well known bands in Dublin. Played in it for a few years, and it was the biggest load of boll*x I ever came across. The only good thing was you actually got paid by Guinness to play on the day, which was grand I suppose, but they had no more interest in promoting Irish music than the cat. They had an interest in selling Guinness products full stop. An absolute farce of a thing.

Arthur's Day was/is supposed to be advertising Guinness in Ireland and abroad. By extension, advertising Ireland. Why not advertise all the good bands Ireland has to offer? Why not have a bunch of them play in London to showcase Irish talent abroad, or play good venues in Dublin to crowds that wouldn't usually hear them?
    For the first few years they had national competitions for bands to play in Arthurs Day, and a final where you got to support one of the bigger well known bands in Dublin. Played in it for a few years, and it was the biggest load of boll*x I ever came across. The only good thing was you actually got paid by Guinness to play on the day, which was grand I suppose, but they had no more interest in promoting Irish music than the cat. They had an interest in selling Guinness products full stop. An absolute farce of a thing.

Think they'll have that aswell, there's going to be 500 free gigs so presuming a good few of those will have Irish bands playing!

Yeah, they'll be playing alright. WAY down the bill. I don't have a problem with them advertising Guinness, but trying to make any claim that they are championing Irish music, they can f**k right off.....

Yeah, they'll be playing alright. WAY down the bill. I don't have a problem with them advertising Guinness, but trying to make any claim that they are championing Irish music, they can f**k right off.....

I can see where you're coming from but at the same time they are presumably paying 500 bands to play and hopefully boost their audience profile. Don't think they're great champions of Irish music either but I'm sure the couple of hundred bands would be glad to get the chance to play a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

The Script <3

10 euro isn't a bad price at all.. Would these tickets sell out fast? I mean, there'd be no chance of getting a ticket a few days beforehand? :pac:

seen them in vicar street when they played arthurs day before and i have to admit , they were ok :confused: dont know why i thought they were bad to begin with :rolleyes: just being a judmental pr*ck lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Would go to see Bouts. Rest I couldn't give a rat's arse about, especially The Script.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from but at the same time they are presumably paying 500 bands to play and hopefully boost their audience profile. Don't think they're great champions of Irish music either but I'm sure the couple of hundred bands would be glad to get the chance to play a gig.

Ah yeah it's grand, but if I were in a band now, I wouldn't be going in with any high hopes...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ah yeah it's grand, but if I were in a band now, I wouldn't be going in with any high hopes...

A mate of mine got together with a lot of people last year. All their bands played in a gig they hosted themselves for Arthursday last year. Pub was packed as well. Much more so than it would be on other Thursdays in general. There is an opportunity, if you make one.

if you make one, not Guinness making one for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Bit iffy on how this works.. If one wanted tickets for Janelle Monae, would it be possible to buy them specifically for her or would you be sold a ticket for a venue and the act is then announced later?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

seems like the later, that's the way it was in previous years anyway.
    Janellle Monae's tour dates were released yesterday, and it has "Cork, Ireland, Arthurs Day" listed. the link Eod100 posted earlier would seem to indicate that there will probably only be 1 ticketed Cork event, so just buy tickets for that and you should get to see her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

if you make one, not Guinness making one for you..

It was still in an official venue that was hosting the Arthurs day shindig. They just hadn't had any events planned to tie in with it.

seems like the later, that's the way it was in previous years anyway.
    Janellle Monae's tour dates were released yesterday, and it has "Cork, Ireland, Arthurs Day" listed. the link Eod100 posted earlier would seem to indicate that there will probably only be 1 ticketed Cork event, so just buy tickets for that and you should get to see her.

Hadn't spotted that, cheers for the heads up! Saw one of her gigs a few years back, never really listened to any of her stuff before then, was some show though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I really hope Biffy happens to be in Cork!

Advertisement