Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kick goal in Hurling

• 12-08-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi

Does anybody else think they should ban the 'Kick' goal in Hurling ?

I think its too easy too just run in and kick it it into the back of the net. There is not much skill in it, and the defenders have no chance to hook or block it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

marathont wrote: »
    Hi

I think its too easy too just run in and kick it it into the back of the net. There is not much skill in it, and the defenders have no chance to hook or block it.

It takes an awful lot of skill to work the ball into a position where you can kick the ball into the net. Defenders have plenty of opportunity to stop you running in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hi

if its that easy then why hasnt there been more scored this year, or any other year for that matter.

sometimes when facing goal and a defender on your back, it takes more skill to be able to compose and make a good connection on a kick, rather than try to swing on the ball and know you will be hooked.

in short, no, it shouldnt be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi

No. its not easy at all, very hard to kick it accurately.
    Its only ever really used on a 2 on 1 situation, where a goal keeper can block down a shot, and a defender can hook a shot. In that situation, kicking is the only real option. Why remove that option?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Hi

What the previous comments have stated and...

Say your team is in the last minute of the AI final, two points down, your full forward beats their full back and is now 1 v 1 with the keeper but the full back reaches out and grabs the hurl from your full forwards hands (or some other incident which would involve the player losing his hurl) You'd want the aul kick a goal rule for that one OP :)

I doubt there's a player in the country who'd find it easier burying a goal with his foot rather than his hurl but sometimes it's the only option. Otherwise players would be kicking goals for fun in goal chance situations. Leave it be OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I think it looks terrible, and there is not a lot of skill in kicking a sliothar. Much better when the player shortens the grip and bats it down, or flicks it past the keeper.

Fair point that you dont see it too often anymore, so probably no need to ban it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

I think it looks terrible, and there is not a lot of skill in kicking a sliothar. Much better when the player shortens the grip and bats it down, or flicks it past the keeper.

Fair point that you dont see it too often anymore, so probably no need to ban it.

I'd agree there it probably looks more awkward than terrible but sure that's no grounds on which you could ban it. Could ya imagine? "All in favour of banning the 'kick goal' because it doesn't look nice"? :D

there is not a lot of skill in kicking a sliothar.

disagree, unless you connect right on the meat, you will slice it and it wont go very far. I have only kicked a handful of scores, many mode have ended up the wrong sides of the posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

And I wouldn't say there's no way for defenders to block it, in fact it's probably easier to block as the ball won't be going at the same speed.

It's quite hard to direct a kick with a sliotar in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they should ban a 'palmed' goal in football too

imagine scoring with your hand and not your foot!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A bigger issue is allowing goals to stand when there have been about 7 steps taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

It's actually a decent skill to be able to kick a sliothar right where u want to put it.

Definitely should not be banned, when you are clean thru and hurl is being pulled at...need the option to kick it. Many lads will kick it badly wrong. But the goal yesterday was brilliantly taken

If your hurl is being pulled, its a foul.

In fairness to treacy, he kicked it well. It just doesnt feel right to me.

I suppose Im the minority on this.

With regard to the steps rule, thats a bit of a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My son seems only to be able to kick them because hes no good with a hurl.much to the annoyance to the defenders, got a right mouthful from of one fella in his last game. "go and join a soccer team you f..., but he did get 3 pass him by kicking.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My son seems only to be able to kick them because hes no good with a hurl.much to the annoyance to the defenders, got a right mouthful from of one fella in his last game. "go and join a soccer team you f..., but he did get 3 pass him by kicking.

Fair play to him, as a player you just have to get them any way you can. I just think skillfull stick work should be rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Fair play to him, as a player you just have to get them any way you can. I just think skillfull stick work should be rewarded.

I have to agreed, seeing someone using the hurl, giving it a good whack in the net looks far more skillful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Must be something with the GAA that lads are always looking for rule changes. First it was the fisted point in football and now this. Hurling is perfectly fine the way it is. Not entirely sure but its probably been the first kicked goal all season. No need to tinker with the rules because something is deemed to be not "skillful".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Indie. wrote: »
    Must be something with the GAA that lads are always looking for rule changes. First it was the fisted point in football and now this. Hurling is perfectly fine the way it is. Not entirely sure but its probably been the first kicked goal all season. No need to tinker with the rules because something is deemed to be not "skillful".
    Absoultey,its always been part of hurling,as long back as English kicking in past Ger cunningham many a time.
    leave it as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If kicking a sliotar is not skillful, then there has never been a skillful goal in the history of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Not a thing wrong with kicking a goal.

It's not that long ago you could handpass a ball to the net. Johnny Flaherty got a beaut in the 81 final against Galway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What about soloing a sliotar with the foot ala Kelly yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Some of us who've tried a bit of junior C hurling need the aul kick. Can't really hit the ball that well myself so a good boot and use the hurl to block fellas does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What does that actually count as? Is it treated like a hurley tap or as if it has hit the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Come on, Sure thats no skill! He didn't juggle it with his hands before he kicked it like Tomas Mulcahy here at around 18.30 mins into video :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Absoultey,its always been part of hurling,as long back as English kicking in past Ger cunningham many a time.
    leave it as is.

He would have had to gone back and picked up the hurley if the kick wasnt allowed! Its 4 mins in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

A goal is still a relatively rare thing in hurling (just ask KK this year) and lights up a game and so I would leave it as it, as pointed out it doesn't happen that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

It is rewarded. A goal scored with the stick is worth three points.

Chinpool wrote: »
    What does that actually count as? Is it treated like a hurley tap or as if it has hit the ground?

same as a hurley tap

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I'd be in favour of removing kicking goals unless hurley has been lost/held.
    Reason keeper has no chance with a kicked goal as they arent expecting/used to it and defender cant get a hook in.
    Its not really an issue at the moment as players are not trained to use their feet and its a rare event anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hi

No offence but you have obviously never tried it, it takes alot of skill to execute it properly and in many instances takes more skill than blasting it with the hurl from point blank range.

Nickey English's goal in the '87 Munster Final is one of the most iconic memories for any Tipp hurling fan and there was plenty of skill involved in that goal, I can't see any justifiable reason why anyone would want to introduce a rule that would prevent something like that.

The fact that the forward is not allowed to intentionally drop the hurl in order to gain an advantage is more than enough to cover this IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Reason keeper has no chance with a kicked goal as they arent expecting/used to it and defender cant get a hook in.
    Its not really an issue at the moment as players are not trained to use their feet and its a rare event anyway.

It's a rare event because 99 times in 100 it's easier to hit the ball with the hurl. We saw examples of "good" and "bad" goals on Sunday's, but the "bad" goal wasn't the kicked one.

But why should Tracy have been punished for being fouled on his way to goal by not letting him kick the ball? It's more that a bit absurd imo.

As for a goalie not expecting a ball to be kicked, you've never played in goals have you?

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's a rare event because 99 times in 100 it's easier to hit the ball with the hurl.
    The forward has more control+accurate with his hurl, but its more to do with most hurlers being raised to always use a hurl. It doesn't come natural to most hurlers as they are reared/trained to always use the hurl.
    But why should Tracy have been punished for being fouled on his way to goal by not letting him kick the ball? It's more that a bit absurd imo.
    Cant argue with that but what do others hurlers do in his position...
    As for a goalie not expecting a ball to be kicked, you've never played in goals have you?
    You couldn't be more wrong, played in goals underage for years in football,hurling and soccer. If your facing a player you partly anticipate where an opponent will be aiming by reading what he will do. Most hurling keepers do not expect shots from the boot and/or cant read or react to it. Just look at the way the nash didnt get near dublin goal or cork keeper against english.(can you find an example of a good saved booted attempt as i cant recall any?)

You couldn't be more wrong, played in goals underage for years in football,hurling and soccer. If your facing a player you partly anticipate where an opponent will be aiming by reading what he will do.

Then I really don't know what you're complaining about or why because you of all people should be used to the ball being kicked at you, so I think it's just that you want to take unpredictability out of it. Which is uncalled for and to my mind mean spirited.

I played in goals and forwards at underage level. I can't recall being beaten by a kicked ball, but when playing in the forwards I rarely kicked the ball, because - believe it or not - it's hard to get the right contact. Most often you come out of it embarrassed and it's much easier to beat a goal keeper with a shot struck by the hurl than the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Having kicked a sliotar over the bar from inside the square once, when it would have been easier to score a goal, I can confirm that its not as easy as it looks! Never tried again... :o

Then I really don't know what you're complaining about or why because you of all people should be used to the ball being kicked at you, so I think it's just that you want to take unpredictability out of it. Which is uncalled for and to my mind mean spirited.
    I played in goals and forwards at underage level. I can't recall being beaten by a kicked ball, but when playing in the forwards I rarely kicked the ball, because - believe it or not - it's hard to get the right contact. Most often you come out of it embarrassed and it's much easier to beat a goal keeper with a shot struck by the hurl than the boot.

What im trying to say (clearly badly) is that i dont like less prefer it when a forward scores with a boot(in a game that im a neutral!) as i rather that a forward finds a way to use the hurley. Maybe as i played in goals underage i have sympathy for keepers beaten by shots where the forward doesnt even now where it might end up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ah yea sure and from now players should give the keeper a shout before they hit the ball letting him know where they're aiming sure that'd make it fair wouldn't it?

Why do people constantly feel the need to change the sport? It's perfect as is stop trying to tinker and just enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm in favour of the kicked goal. My first gaol was kicked, I still remember it. I was one on one with the keeper, I pulled on the ball and it lifted straight into the poor keepers nuts, I followed in after the ball, it just dropped down like an apple falling from a tree and I kicked it in.
    It was an under 12 game, I'd say the poor lad was reasonably relieved that I kicked it in, had I used the stick it would not have been pretty.

What im trying to say (clearly badly) is that i dont like less prefer it when a forward scores with a boot(in a game that im a neutral!) as i rather that a forward finds a way to use the hurley. Maybe as i played in goals underage i have sympathy for keepers beaten by shots where the forward doesnt even now where it might end up:)

It's so rare it's not worth worrying about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

what about the forward who takes a brilliant shot and the keeper through being awkward ends up stopping it without even realising he has made a save? should we ban jammy goalkeepers too? ;)

bruschi wrote: »
    what about the forward who takes a brilliant shot and the keeper through being awkward ends up stopping it without even realising he has made a save? should we ban jammy goalkeepers too? ;)
    That's a keeper having a good positional sense and/or reflexes. Doesn't matter how you stop it as long as you do. No such thing as jammy keepers;).

Don't forget players could handpass the sliotar into the net in the past before that was correctly banned.
    But as has been said rarely happens so I dont care that much.

That's a keeper having a good positional sense and/or reflexes. Doesn't matter how you stop it as long as you do. No such thing as jammy keepers;).

Yeah I'm gong to disagree with you there. I once saw a goalie "save" a shot as he was falling over (pushed by his fullback trying to get out to the corner forward) - becuase the sliotar hit him on the ass. It'd have been funny if my brother wasn't the corner forward and it didn't cost us the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement