Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport moves a step closer towards runway extension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Could attract some new types of aircraft which would have needed the extra bit of length. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

This is something Deasy is pushing alright. Is it just me or does anyone think this has little value in terms of job creation or tourism. To me it feels like it is something Deasy can get to make it appear as if he has some standing in the government. When in reality it is just €400,000 which is nothing in government spending terms and Deasy is little more than an outcast in the government who can’t get anything of real benefit. Sure Galway does not have a regional airport and they are booming in job creation and tourism. Dundalk got 1000 jobs from Paypal and they have no regional airport either, in fact Waterford has better access to air travel having a regional airport and is a relativity short distance from Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against the airport and want it to be a great success. I just am sick of our government TD’s they are not really fighting for us. They are just sticking their name on scraps as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBM77 wrote: »
    This is something Deasy is pushing alright. Is it just me or does anyone think this has little value in terms of job creation or tourism. To me it feels like it is something Deasy can get to make it appear as if he has some standing in the government. When in reality it is just €400,000 which is nothing in government spending terms and Deasy is little more than an outcast in the government who can’t get anything of real benefit. Sure Galway does not have a regional airport and they are booming in job creation and tourism. Dundalk got 1000 jobs from Paypal and they have no regional airport either, in fact Waterford has better access to air travel having a regional airport and is a relativity short distance from Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against the airport and want it to be a great success. I just am sick of our government TD’s they are not really fighting for us. They are just sticking their name on scraps as far as I can see.

Its something Waterford people are calling for and our TDs are stepping up to their mark on the subject. Like the University. Whether it will generate anything is a different debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

extending the runway has to be good news as they wanted to be able to accommodate jets as the airlines want that option. London route is important and if things go well in future, it might be back. Being connected easily to one of the worlds major cities/airports etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sully wrote: »
    Its something Waterford people are calling for and our TDs are stepping up to their mark on the subject. Like the University. Whether it will generate anything is a different debate!

Steady on their, 150m is nothing and won't allow many jets operate from the airport at full loads. 1800-2000m runway is needed for this we will now have 15.83m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I think if you look into it this is only giving the money for the CPO of the land , the money for the actual building work is not included in this.
    The build work could top 10 million, but 5million would probably go a long way now as the Airport management have been boxing very cleverly for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The extension is only for tidying up and making better use of the existing land really. There's not a chance of a 737 or anything like it landing on that runway with 150m extra on it. Compared to the capital investment and nudges/winks being sent to the other regions, this is not something to be excited about and I'd really hope no TD or govt flag waver starts making it out in the media to be something it isnt.

It is good news, a bit like scoring a goal in the last minute when the other team scored 6 in the rest of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Trotter wrote: »
    The extension is only for tidying up and making better use of the existing land really. There's not a chance of a 737 or anything like it landing on that runway with 150m extra on it. Compared to the capital investment and nudges/winks being sent to the other regions, this is not something to be excited about and I'd really hope no TD or govt flag waver starts making it out in the media to be something it isnt.

It is good news, a bit like scoring a goal in the last minute when the other team scored 6 in the rest of the match.

bit of a bummer if this aint gonna allow the jets that we need to land, land. i saw something about 10m being the gold plated job, 5m for the good job and a couple million will do for now, most basic improvement. could have been in the munster express

any chance of changing the thread title as closing down is not what we are on about

See this is exactly what I am talking about. This runway extension is not stepping up to the mark it is just being sold as it is. Getting a special development zone designated in Waterford, a lower corporation tax rate like Galway has, full university status for WIT instead of the usual second tier option which if we are lucky we might get and/or getting NAMA to build the Newgate Centre like they are with other developments that are deemed important to an area are examples of stepping up to the mark and achieving things what would help Waterford. Getting €400,000 to extend a piece of infrastructure that as I highlighted has little or no effect on what Waterford needs to achieve based on other areas experience is nowhere near stepping up to the mark.

See this is exactly what I am talking about. This runway extension is not stepping up to the mark it is just being sold as it is. Getting a special development zone designated in Waterford, a lower corporation tax rate like Galway has, full university status for WIT instead of the usual second tier option which if we are luck we might get and/or getting NAMA to build the Newgate Centre like they are with other developments that are deemed important to an area are examples of stepping up to the mark and achieving things what would help Waterford. Getting €400,000 to extend a piece of infrastructure that as I highlighted has little or no effect in what Waterford needs to achieve based on other area experience is nowhere near stepping up to the mark.

Do tell me more, what lower rate do they have?

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Do tell me more, what lower rate do they have?

I read that in the Phoenix column of Waterford N&S. Can't remember the figure though.

Yes and John Deasy has spoken about it as well. If I can find a source I will post it.

Yes and John Deasy has spoken about it as well. If I can find a source I will post it.
    That'd be great if you could - my boss would be delighted if it turns out we have been paying too much tax all these years.

Congratulations to Waterford airport on this funding - hopefully it will secure existing services and jobs and allow for further routes in the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Split into new thread

I didn't use the thread title based on the news articles, I played it down instead. Its worthy of its own thread as its big news for Waterford and the request to change the original thread title wouldn't be the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

What length would you need for a 737 or its equivalents?

See this is exactly what I am talking about. This runway extension is not stepping up to the mark it is just being sold as it is. Getting a special development zone designated in Waterford, a lower corporation tax rate like Galway has, full university status for WIT instead of the usual second tier option which if we are lucky we might get and/or getting NAMA to build the Newgate Centre like they are with other developments that are deemed important to an area are examples of stepping up to the mark and achieving things what would help Waterford. Getting €400,000 to extend a piece of infrastructure that as I highlighted has little or no effect on what Waterford needs to achieve based on other areas experience is nowhere near stepping up to the mark.

Just to be specific. Its the job of our local TDs / Senators to represent and lobby for Waterford and work for the country as a whole in government or in opposition. Its harder without a ministerial title or not being in government, but John is doing exactly what he is being paid to do - lobby for Waterford. The purchase of the land will be a further stepping stone for the airport and is a commitment from the government to invest in Waterford Airport. Yes, its a small stepping stone but one that is widely welcomed and should be. John appears to be working on this, and thus that is why he is being quoted in the article.

Sure, there are numerous other ways we as a City and County would like our government to assist us with and our TDs to represent / continue representing us on. I'm just on about one particular issue as its being discussed and people asked why John was commenting on it.

I don't know John, I have never once spoken with him in my entire life, and I know very little about him or what he does or doesn't do for Waterford.

webpal wrote: »
    What length would you need for a 737 or its equivalents?

It depends where your are flying to on the jet. A B738 could operate after the runway works to London restricted.

At the very least a 1850m runway would take fully loaded jets a lot of places in Europe.

In an ideal world 1950-2000m runway is needed for jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Just to be specific. Its the job of our local TDs / Senators to represent and lobby for Waterford and work for the country as a whole in government or in opposition. Its harder without a ministerial title or not being in government, but John is doing exactly what he is being paid to do - lobby for Waterford. The purchase of the land will be a further stepping stone for the airport and is a commitment from the government to invest in Waterford Airport. Yes, its a small stepping stone but one that is widely welcomed and should be. John appears to be working on this, and thus that is why he is being quoted in the article.

Sure, there are numerous other ways we as a City and County would like our government to assist us with and our TDs to represent / continue representing us on. I'm just on about one particular issue as its being discussed and people asked why John was commenting on it.

I don't know John, I have never once spoken with him in my entire life, and I know very little about him or what he does or doesn't do for Waterford

Is this politics propaganda being spoken outside the designated thread?!!!!! Damn this hypocrite to hell immediately!

A B738 could operate after the runway works to London restricted
    Restricted?..more like empty!

Still though its another small step in the right direction. Just hate the bulls*%t that comes out of politicians mouths. "I have been working on this, me me me, I am delivering it, i'm not really sure what i'm delievering or care but i'm delievering it, so vote for me again next time around and keep me in my cushy number for another few years till I have my nest fully feathered!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Restricted?..more like empty!

Still though its another small step in the right direction. Just hate the bulls*%t that comes out of politicians mouths. "I have been working on this, me me me, I am delivering it, i'm not really sure what i'm delievering or care but i'm delievering it, so vote for me again next time around and keep me in my cushy number for another few years till I have my nest fully feathered!

And I assume you have inside knowledge to contradict it? Its well known that TDs and Ministers lobby and push for their constituency. This has been an issue for Waterford for years and something that we came close to securing but lost out, and now its back on the cards again. It wouldn't be here without lobby groups, the airport, council and TDs piling on pressure and constantly seeking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

there will be no 150m extension on the runway all money will go to land being rezoned ( that's what I have been told ) . 1800 metres for a 737 with a 10 seat restriction depending on what kinda 737 you were using . If we did get a 150mtr extension you could take in an airbus 319, 318, embraer 190 which would be a good summer jet. At the moment the best way to think of it is London City use the airbus 318, 319 if we got the 150 extension we would be slightly bigger then them.

• Advertisement

I don't know John, I have never once spoken with him in my entire life, and I know very little about him or what he does or doesn't do for Waterford.

Others here seem to know who you are so I am at a disadvantage as I don’t. However this is just typical politician speak. I have made four solid and reasonable points of government actions that would benefit Waterford and help address the south-easts economic problems and you have not addressed any of them. Again you have just tried to frankly insult peoples intelligence by saying that a tiny investment to make a runway a bit longer is something that we should be grateful for while real problems are left unaddressed. This is exactly what I was on about in my first post. If this is what you consider our representatives stepping up to the mark no wonder we have the highest unemployment in the country.

Others here seem to know who you are so I am at a disadvantage as I don’t. However this is just typical politician speak. I have made four solid and reasonable points of government actions that would benefit Waterford and help address the south-easts economic problems and you have not addressed any of them. Again you have just tried to frankly insult peoples intelligence by saying that a tiny investment to make a runway a bit longer is something that we should be grateful for while real problems are left unaddressed. This is exactly what I was on about in my first post. If this is what you consider our representatives stepping up to the mark no wonder we have the highest unemployment in the country.

People *think* they know who I am when in reality its just a select few jumping on my interest in politics (as a whole) and my limited past involvement with Fine Gael.

I will happily address your points in the political megathread, but right now this discussion is about Waterford Airport and our TDs being part of the lobby group. That's all I am replying to because that's what this thread is for. Nothing else.

People *think* they know who I am when in reality its just a select few jumping on my interest in politics (as a whole) and my limited past involvement with Fine Gael.

I will happily address your points in the political megathread, but right now this discussion is about Waterford Airport and our TDs being part of the lobby group. That's all I am replying to because that's what this thread is for. Nothing else.

SO. This thread is about Waterford Airport and our TDs being part of the lobby group. I could have sworn it was about a runway.

This whole 'we'll discuss everything until FG are criticised and then it'll be in the political hole thread' thing is wrong.

SO. This thread is about Waterford Airport and our TDs being part of the lobby group. I could have sworn it was about a runway.

This whole 'we'll discuss everything until FG are criticised and then it'll be in the politican hole thread' thing is wrong.

Well said Trotter. Its when it suits!

He is so far up Fine Gael's hole that he can't see the light anymore! If he came home and found a FG TD in bed with his wife he would fluff their pillows and make them tea!

Is the runway not part of Waterford Airport?
    This whole 'we'll discuss everything until FG are criticised and then it'll be in the politican hole thread' thing is wrong.

I have no problems discussing waterford political issues, good or bad, outside the political megathread. That's not my call. But most people don't want to see every single thread dragged into a general political discussion, hence the megathread, so that's the only reason im not getting into the stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

You know that already though.

Is the runway not part of Waterford Airport?

I have no problems discussing waterford political issues, good or bad, outside the political megathread. That's not my call. But most people don't want to see every single thread dragged into a general political discussion, hence the megathread, so that's the only reason im not getting into the stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

You know that already though.

The political discussion started when you jumped on the first negative thing that was said about how this is being made out to be some sort of great achievement. You said
    Its something Waterford people are calling for and our TDs are stepping up to their mark on the subject.

Waterford people are not calling for an adjustment to the runway! They're calling for investment to open the runway to the kind of traffic that might build the city up! Look around you! People are leaving Waterford in their droves never to return and you say our TDs are stepping up to the mark?!

It is our right to call it in open forum when we are consistently as Waterford Citizens fed tripe about what we should be excited about.

It is your absolute right to defend that tripe, but it is equally expected that on a discussion forum you be respectfully called to defend your opinion and not push the discussion away when the direction you sent it in no longer suits you.

Thats what I know.

The political discussion started when you jumped on the first negative thing that was said about how this is being made out to be some sort of great achievement. You said

I didn't see anything negative in what was posted. I saw it as a simple question which was given a simple answer. Why was a TD involved in the press release. It doesn't matter to me if that was Sinn Fein or an Independent.
    Waterford people are not calling for an adjustment to the runway! They're calling for investment to open the runway to the kind of traffic that might build the city up! Look around you! People are leaving Waterford in their droves never to return and you say our TDs are stepping up to the mark?!

I haven't suggested otherwise. My 'stepping up to the mark' remark does not in one way suggest that the TDs job is done. But to suggest they had no involvement in this is unfair. Even Martin Cullen would have been heavily involved in this.
    It is our right to call it in open forum when we are consistently as Waterford Citizens fed tripe about what we should be excited about.

I don't think anybody is saying you can't.
    It is your absolute right to defend that tripe, but it is equally expected that on a discussion forum you be respectfully called to defend your opinion and not push the discussion away when the direction you sent it in no longer suits you.

You are being disrespectful and unfair with that comment and to be honest I am getting tired of your cheap petty digs and insults. There is nothing to defend here. This is a stepping stone for the airport - no doubt about it. With any good news Waterford gets lately, its surrounded in negativity and gloom rather than welcoming it while not forgetting the neglect elsewhere. Our TDs, past and present, have worked very hard for Waterford and for our airport. Every single one of them. That's cross party. You can be damn sure there needs to be a lot more done for Waterford & the South East and more can and should be done than is currently. I think you can safely say that is agreed by all our public representatives here in Waterford.

Nobody is trying to push a conversation in any particular way. I am happy to discuss and debate every single political issue related to Waterford, good or bad, in its relevant thread. Always have. I have been openly critical of this government, for many reasons and I have openly welcomed other areas of this government. My interest has and always will be broadly politics, and to suggest otherwise is incorrect.

I'm not in favour of the megathread, but its not my call and it wasn't my call to have it. While you want to drag this thread off topic to have a go at the overall government neglect, that cannot be said for others who report such posts and complain that the moderation is slack by letting it happen. So I want to stay on topic, as I have been asked to do so by both the users of this forum and also by the Mods & CMods. You know that, but you want to have a go and want to personally attribute this as something I want / did and as a Boards agenda in favour of the government, which is incorrect.
    Thats what I know.

You completely ignored what I pointed out to have a personal rant on me. Yet you call for respect?

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Well said Trotter. Its when it suits!

He is so far up Fine Gael's hole that he can't see the light anymore! If he came home and found a FG TD in bed with his wife he would fluff their pillows and make them tea!

Lookit I might disagree with him a lot but I'm not gonna agree with part two there. This is all about respecting people's views. Sully's entitled to his but we're all entitled to discuss all events in Waterford in the Waterford forum. I don't intend to offend the chap.

I didn't see anything negative in what was posted. I saw it as a simple question which was given a simple answer. Why was a TD involved in the press release. It doesn't matter to me if that was Sinn Fein or an Independent.

I haven't suggested otherwise. My 'stepping up to the mark' remark does not in one way suggest that the TDs job is done. But to suggest they had no involvement in this is unfair. Even Martin Cullen would have been heavily involved in this.

I don't think anybody is saying you can't.

You are being disrespectful and unfair with that comment and to be honest I am getting tired of your cheap petty digs and insults. There is nothing to defend here. This is a stepping stone for the airport - no doubt about it. With any good news Waterford gets lately, its surrounded in negativity and gloom rather than welcoming it while not forgetting the neglect elsewhere. Our TDs, past and present, have worked very hard for Waterford and for our airport. Every single one of them. That's cross party. You can be damn sure there needs to be a lot more done for Waterford & the South East and more can and should be done than is currently. I think you can safely say that is agreed by all our public representatives here in Waterford.

Nobody is trying to push a conversation in any particular way. I am happy to discuss and debate every single political issue related to Waterford, good or bad, in its relevant thread. Always have. I have been openly critical of this government, for many reasons and I have openly welcomed other areas of this government. My interest has and always will be broadly politics, and to suggest otherwise is incorrect.

I'm not in favour of the megathread, but its not my call and it wasn't my call to have it. While you want to drag this thread off topic to have a go at the overall government neglect, that cannot be said for others who report such posts and complain that the moderation is slack by letting it happen. So I want to stay on topic, as I have been asked to do so by both the users of this forum and also by the Mods & CMods. You know that, but you want to have a go and want to personally attribute this as something I want / did and as a Boards agenda in favour of the government, which is incorrect.

You completely ignored what I pointed out to have a personal rant on me. Yet you call for respect?

I think my annoyance at how things are done and discussed around here is being misinterpreted as disrespectful. Thats a pity because its not how its meant.

I quoted you Sully and interpreted your input. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful, just strong disagreement. Your quick reaction to people criticising Waterford's 'political' treatment (political being a fully inadequate word to describe the inequality) is only matched by my quick reaction and annoyance of the defence. If you feel Im personal, I apologise. I'll save the mods a ban and be fully on my way.

My thoughts on the runway anyway finally (very finally in fact) are that this isn't anything other than maintenance. It shouldn't be portrayed in the media as anything other than that.

• Advertisement

I think my annoyance at how things are done and discussed around here is being misinterpreted as disrespectful. Thats a pity because its not how its meant.

I quoted you Sully and interpreted your input. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful, just strong disagreement. Your quick reaction to people criticising Waterford's 'political' treatment (political being a fully inadequate word to describe the inequality) is only matched by my quick reaction and annoyance of the defence. If you feel Im personal, I apologise.

Its completely incorrect some of the statements and people need to know what the government has done and what our tds have done. Plenty of what they haven't that I agree with but I believe in a fair and balanced debate regardless of the topic or my involvement. Its not my style. That's the last time ill get involved in a silly tit for tat about my political opinions.

My thoughts on the runway anyway finally (very finally in fact) are that this isn't anything other than maintenance. It shouldn't be portrayed in the media as anything other than that.

Well its more than maintenance as it increases the type of aircraft we can take and it gives us an increased chance in getting to our end goal. Its another welcomed investment, of which we need a lot more to be able to 'catch up', and a sign of commitment for the airports future which is a key hub for Waterford we want to build on for our future and to improve our dire economy and black unemployment hole.

Advertisement