Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relationship Deal Breakers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Wow. A bigotted gay.
    what happened to the incusive and equal society we always hear about?

That's unfair. If he doesn't want to bother with a religious man who is in the closet and doesn't want to be seen in public with him as a result, then that's his prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

for me before it even starts theres one or two sentences thatll send me running
    >i like all music except rock. (airhead and or idiot)
    >i like to go out with the girls on the weekend, every weekend. (high maintenance)
    >im vegan. (translated means high maintenance but not as high as the above)
    >im studying x or whatever. (when questioned about said subject they've not a clue not always but it does happen)
    >what kind of car do you drive? (what does it matter?)
    >where are all the sensitive guys? (idk look around lol)
    >all men are pigs. (nope you're just a bad judge of character)

couple others but thats all i got off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Far-left political leanings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Jaxxy wrote: »
    That's unfair. If he doesn't want to bother with a religious man who is in the closet and doesn't want to be seen in public with him as a result, then that's his prerogative.

There's a different between that which is completely reasonable and this
    1ZRed wrote: »
    You couldn't blame me for thinking he was taking the piss sinse that's about the most fuked up combination of things to do after the other, but anyway, once I knew he was dead serious that was the end of him. Can't be having that

Once a week? You have to be joking. They are fine for at least a month or more even imo.

How can anyone think it's okay to spend 6-9 hours a night in the same bedlinen for 'a month or more'?

That's disgusting imo. And just because you may not obviously smell doesn't mean it's hygenic to only shower every second day.

Icky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Gongoozler wrote: »
    :D your list made me realise my boyfriend is all of those things..... except for the well dressed thing some of the time.

Interesting. Wonder what his list looks like?

I can't stand being with someone who feels sorry for themselves. Any serious hint of negativity in the beginning is a deal breaker for me.

I know it's not fair, and I know everyone has issues, and I know people need support sometimes, but they're not getting it from me, I'll be walking out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Candie wrote: »
    How can anyone think it's okay to spend 6-9 hours a night in the same bedlinen for 'a month or more'?

That's disgusting imo. And just because you may not obviously smell doesn't mean it's hygenic to only shower every second day.

Icky.

My jism would block the shower plughole pretty rapidly if I was to shower every day…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My jism would block the shower plughole pretty rapidly if I was to shower every day…

You'd probably expect your mother to clean it out then as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

If they gave you a dutch oven

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You put a lot of emphasis on looks, not everyone else does.
    Most do, even if they don't admit/realise it. Study after study has borne this out. One example took pictures of couples and handed out the women pics to male participants and men pics to female and got them to rate them on looks. In the vast majority of couples they matched up. So a "6" was with another "6" and a "3" with a "3". Mismatches were outliers and in those cases usually the man was the lower rating, but turned out to be higher on the social scale than average. Yes pheromones are extremely important, as is personality, but they come after the visual "oh I would" 9 times outa 10.

I have defo had the 1 times outa 10 though Shopaholic. Years ago I met this woman who really rang my bell physically and personality wise and I did the same for her and people would comment that we looked soooo like a couple. Fine, but for some reason we couldn't fathom at the time getting romantic felt very wrong for want of a better word. We ended up as good mates, but sexual attraction just wasn't there, we were more like brother and sister. It was very odd, but I'd put money the smell/pheromone thing was at play there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You'd probably expect your mother to clean it out then as well.

She died in a tragic trout fishing accident so sadly she can't be here to help but my bitter tears work as an effective drain cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

A week in a pair of jeans??? Sweet mother of christ that there is a week worth of sweating into one pair of jeans!

You must be a very sweaty person. Any sweaty parts of me down that was are covered by my boxers and socks. I'd want to be doing some fierce physical work to get leg sweat. Jeans get washed when I spill some food on them. Could be a week, could be 3 or 4.

Samw way I will wear a t-shirt for 2 days maybe 3 but I wear shirts open over them most of the time and these rarely need washing as they don't touch my pits.

Now I'm not a sweaty person at all so obviously a hairier or sweatier person may be different but I don't think you can judge everyones body on the same scale.
    To be honest I would think it was quite strange if I heard of someone going to the gym on a Sunday.

Why? I'd think it stranger if they were going to mass tbh. Obviously that's my opinion on religion at play there but personally a religious person would be a deal breaker for me too because at some point I want kids but I do not want them basptised unless they decide that for themselves at some point when they can coherently make that decision for themselves.
    Wow. A bigotted gay.

I don't think what he said was bigotted at all. He gave a reason why he would be against dating a religious gay person and honestly, considering the amount of times their own religion condemn and contradict their own sexuality and feelings I can only imagine a religious gay person to be a bit of a conundrum. I've never met anyone who was both so can't possibly prove this in any shape or form and am open to be proven wrong.

You know that smell when you nuzzle someone's neck? I think that's what she means. We all have our own 'smell', get in someone's bed and you'll smell them etc.

You put a lot of emphasis on looks, not everyone else does.

That's why I always lace my lapels with cocaine. Drives the women wild.

Wow. A bigotted gay.

What's bigoted about not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who will be afraid to be seen in public with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Also lol at the people saying the person has to be open minded and then having religious as a deal breaker. Really showing open mindedness there :rolleyes: can't believe people would have being religious as a deal breaker especially in Ireland.

Why especially in Ireland? I actually know very few religious people. Traditional and superstitious people? Plenty.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

doesn't get the funny side of a Dutch Oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Katgurl wrote: »
    In fairness no it is NOT ok, it's disgusting, particularly as we had been drinking heavily, then f***king heavily for hours. I feel sick thinking about it frankly. Just have a shower every day before you get dressed. It's not complicated.

Funny. Before I met my wife I thought the same as you. She then wondered why did I go to bed "dirty" and shower in the morning instead of at night before going to bed? If there have been nocturnal activiities then of course a morning shower would be advisable, but in the absence of which, do most people shower to wake themselves up in the morning or to clean themselves?

NothingMan wrote: »
    Why? I'd think it stranger if they were going to mass tbh. Obviously that's my opinion on religion at play there but personally a religious person would be a deal breaker for me too because at some point I want kids but I do not want them basptised unless they decide that for themselves at some point when they can coherently make that decision for themselves.

Well I've never been to a gym on a sunday (I don't really go to the gym anyway) and would be at mass the majority of sundays so to me a gym would be a stranger place to go.

Aside from the comparison between the two I just think sunday wouldn't really be a gym day for people who even go. People are usually doing stuff like taking it easy, watching sport, sleeping, hungover, visiting family etc etc on sundays so I wouldn't expect the gym to be a common place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Well I've never been to a gym on a sunday (I don't really go to the gym anyway) and would be at mass the majority of sundays so to me a gym would be a stranger place to go.

Aside from the comparison between the two I just think sunday wouldn't really be a gym day for people who even go. People are usually doing stuff like taking it easy, watching sport, sleeping, hungover, visiting family etc etc on sundays so I wouldn't expect the gym to be a common place to go.

You see attending church on a Sunday as a more normal thing to do because that's what you do. It doesn't mean that people who go to the gym on a Sunday aren't normal just because it's not what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Janey Mac, plenty people go to the gym on Sundays. Also plenty people work on Sundays so your idea of Sunday seems to be just based on what you do on a Sunday!

so your idea of Sunday seems to be just based on what you do on a Sunday!

Well its obviously going to be based on what I do, family members do and other people I know do. Isn't that what anyone would base it on if asked what do people do on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Well its obviously going to be based on what I do, family members do and other people I know do. Isn't that what anyone would base it on if asked what do people do on Sundays?

But like, you obviously know that a huge number of people work on Sundays?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My deal beakers would be:

Uptight men - take themselves too seriously, OCD cleanliness, rigid routines etc.

Metrosexual - shaving and waxing their body hair, self-tanning, hair straightening etc.

Materialistic - Judges people by how much they earn, the phones they own, the cars they drive, turns their nose up at clothing if it's not designer etc.

No manners - doesn't say please or thank you, hold doors open for others etc.

Neck jewellery - Men wearing chains or necklaces. I just think it looks awful! Can't explain my disdain for it, I just avoid men with neck jewellery like the plague!

Also the obvious ones like violent, posessive etc.

However, I'd actually be put off by a man who felt he couldn't fart in front of me. Everybody farts, it's a natural human function! Imagine having to leave the room every time you felt like popping one out - ridiculous!

But like, you obviously know that a huge number of people work on Sundays?!

Yes a lot of people work Sundays, the majority of people would be off though and of the people who do work, most would only work some Sundays not every Sunday.

I still don't think I'd be wrong in thinking that a large proportion of people spend sundays doing one or more of the things I described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Passive aggressiveness.
    Constantly having to make a snide comment at every opportunity.

However, I'd actually be put off by a man who felt he couldn't fart in front of me. Everybody farts, it's a natural human function! Imagine having to leave the room every time you felt like popping one out - ridiculous!

My brother suffers from crohns. Quite honestly, letting him fart in the same room as you after a feed of drink the night before is effectively signing your own death warrant. Sometimes social mores are a good thing…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Queefing

Especially anyone doing The Road Warrior:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Gambas wrote: »
    Interesting. Wonder what his list looks like?

Hmmm now so do I. Why is it interesting to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Neck jewellery - Men wearing chains or necklaces. I just think it looks awful! Can't explain my disdain for it, I just avoid men with neck jewellery like the plague!

Oh yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think it depends on the guy. A young man with a good body, possibly on a surfboard, can carry a simple necklace. However Richard Hammond, for example, cute as he is, really needs to take his one off now.

kylith wrote: »
    I think it depends on the guy. A young man with a good body, possibly on a surfboard, can carry a simple necklace. However Richard Hammond, for example, cute as he is, really needs to take his one off now.

It's the guys that wear the silver necklaces over black jumpers or black tshirts. The ultimate in skobieness…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's the guys that wear the silver necklaces over black jumpers or black tshirts. The ultimate in skobieness…

Or the gold medallions *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Depends on the item. Socks every day, boxers everyday or every second day, t-shirts and shirts every second day, jeans last a week at least and often longer.

Boxers every second day? :eek:

Deal breaker: Knob cheese

I get the impression there are a lot more females than males posting on this thread?
    Have I the wrong impression? I thought for a while I had strayed into the Ladies Lounge.

Are guys not bothered to post or do they not have any deal deal breakers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

josip wrote: »

Not getting the ride I suppose would be a deal breaker for them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I get the impression there are a lot more females than males posting on this thread?
    Have I the wrong impression? I thought for a while I had strayed into the Ladies Lounge.

Not being an ill-tempered, irrational, self obsessed lunatic but would be top of my list

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Not being an ill-tempered, irrational, self obsessed lunatic but would be top of my list

Would you like to reconsider?
    You're ruling out a large part of the market with your 2nd breaker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Girls who dont take their bits on regular trips to Brazil or Hollywood.

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Lets see how painful you find it and then see how often you'd go :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Just because someone goes to Mass regularly, doesn't mean they are some kind of Jesus freak. My mother goes to Mass every day and she is very liberal and tolerant. Dad, on the other hand is an atheist, he sits in a cafe, drinking coffee and reading books why she is off praying. Mum, couldn't care less, she respects his beliefs, he respects hers. They are very happy together.

As a bloke, I don't understand this one at all, tbh. If a woman chooses to do it herself, fair enough but if she didn't, it wouldn't bother me. It's only a bit of fecking hair. Tbf, I'd rather hair down there then her to be as bald a child - that I would find a total turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

moochers wrote: »
    Just because someone goes to Mass regularly, doesn't mean they are some kind of Jesus freak. My mother goes to Mass every day and she is very liberal and tolerant. Dad, on the other hand is an atheist, he sits in a cafe, drinking coffee and reading books why she is off praying. Mum, couldn't care less, she respects his beliefs, he respects hers. They are very happy together.

Well that's fine, I respect the right of anyone to believe whatever the hell they want to. Doesn't mean I'm going to get into a relationship with them though.

moochers wrote: »

I don't understand this. I'm glad your parents are happy together and I have religious friends and we all respect each others beliefs and that's fine. People can choose to believe what they like. But I would never get in a relationship with a religious person. I don't see how it's compatible at all?

Like for example surely your mother believes, if she follows Christianity, that as a non-believer your father is going to hell? Would that not be insanely hard...that's why I wouldn't be in a relationship with somebody religious - views are way too incompatible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Lets see how painful you find it and then see how often you'd go :p

We dont need to wax down there. Gillette Mach 5 is our friend ;)

I assume you wax down there yourself? ;)

So why should a woman wax? It can be taken care of at home too yano!

As I thought. It's ok if you can't take the pain of waxing. You have to be tough as a vagina to take it :p

You shave your bollix? Jesus, the man sac is ugly enough without showing it free of foliage.

Like for example surely your mother believes, if she follows Christianity, that as a non-believer your father is going to hell? Would that not be insanely hard...that's why I wouldn't be in a relationship with somebody religious - views are way too incompatible.

Perhaps we'll all end up in hell regardless of our religious beliefs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement