Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Level Student Bank Account

Options
  • 12-08-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi, anyone know which bank does the best 3rd level student accounts atm? Starting college in Sept so I need to set one up. I did a comparison here but tbh I'm not really sure which to choose or if there's much difference between any them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My only advice to you would be to consider using the same bank as someone who might be transferring money to you on a regular basis (e.g. parent)

Both my sons chose the same account as mine and I often got a call to transfer 'emergency money' via online banking. It hits the account immediately, no waiting for it to clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

oldyouth wrote: »
    My only advice to you would be to consider using the same bank as someone who might be transferring money to you on a regular basis (e.g. parent)

Both my sons chose the same account as mine and I often got a call to transfer 'emergency money' via online banking. It hits the account immediately, no waiting for it to clear
    Great advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They are all the same pretty much. But Ulster bank offers an overdraft of €2,500 for law and medical students.

BOI & AIB are the best for Dublin as there is no in every Dublin suburb. If you live in Dublin go for AIB, they are on every street in town and the internet banking is 10 times better than BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This page give details of what's available from each bank for students.

Click on the student option.

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-current-accounts/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One other bit of advice, check which bank has a branch if any on your campus grounds. NUI Maynooth for example have an AIB branch on campus, one in the village within walking distance and a BOI branch over the road from the AIB. During the first couple of weeks of September many banks will be offering free stuff to students opening accounts too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Thanks for all the advice there. I'm living in Dublin and will be attending college here. Plus there's an AIB on campus so maybe that would be the best option. If their online banking beats BOI's then I guess that's good too. I'm mostly interested in day to day banking stuff, don't see myself taking out loans/overdrafts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

street wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice there. I'm living in Dublin and will be attending college here. Plus there's an AIB on campus so maybe that would be the best option. If their online banking beats BOI's then I guess that's good too. I'm mostly interested in day to day banking stuff, don't see myself taking out loans/overdrafts..

Aib online banking is quite good, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Also AIB do commission free foreign exchange and actually give out bankdrafts unlike BOI who requires them to be over €500.

I have a bank account with BOI & AIB and I find AIB 10 times better. Internet banking with BOI is prehistoric. You need a text message or a letter every time you add a new payee(someone to transfer money).

OP open a bank account with both so at least you have a banking history with them if you want a mortgage in 10 years time. BOI is free for when you are in college and 3 years after you finish college. So you get 7 years free banking

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

hfallada wrote: »
    Also AIB do commission free foreign exchange and actually give out bankdrafts unlike BOI who requires them to be over €500.

I have a bank account with BOI & AIB and I find AIB 10 times better. Internet banking with BOI is prehistoric. You need a text message or a letter every time you add a new payee(someone to transfer money).

OP open a bank account with both so at least you have a banking history with them if you want a mortgage in 10 years time. BOI is free for when you are in college and 3 years after you finish college. So you get 7 years free banking

Thanks very much hfallada, appreciate the help. I hear what you're saying about having a banking history with both banks but the only money I'll have going into my account will be my student grant.

Advertisement