Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom TV channel line-up?

• 12-08-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

So I've seen engineers out working on the ASDL and efibre cabinets locally, and from speaking to them eircom's TV service should be up and running as soon as cabinets are live.

Interestingly the engineers mentioned that you get a modem installed (obviously) and it connects the TV service through a set of network plugs (like home plugs) for distributing TV to devices throughout the house over electricity power sockets. I'll believe it when I see it all set up!

What does interest me is what the channel line up will be. Also how many channels will the service be able to carry, including HD channels!?

So for the moment I would guess all channels on Saorview being carried and then ITV C4 and BBCs. To go beyond what is already available FTA and on Freesat, how are eircom going to compete with UPC and Sky, who offer different channel line-ups. What are essentially the pay-channels going to be beyond whats already freely available out there!?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

astrofluff wrote: »
    So I've seen engineers out working on the ASDL and efibre cabinets locally, and from speaking to them eircom's TV service should be up and running as soon as cabinets are live.

Interestingly the engineers mentioned that you get a modem installed (obviously) and it connects the TV service through a set of network plugs (like home plugs) for distributing TV to devices throughout the house over electricity power sockets. I'll believe it when I see it all set up!

What does interest me is what the channel line up will be. Also how many channels will the service be able to carry, including HD channels!?

So for the moment I would guess all channels on Saorview being carried and then ITV C4 and BBCs. To go beyond what is already available FTA and on Freesat, how are eircom going to compete with UPC and Sky, who offer different channel line-ups. What are essentially the pay-channels going to be beyond whats already freely available out there!?

They will offer a maximum of 50Mb with the tv service so in ideal circumstances they will use 20Mb for TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So how much TV will fit on 20Mb of bandwidth?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well, the network will stream what you're watching rather than a whole range of channels like cable or satellite. So the limitation is more about how good the STB is and how many channels they opt to put into their head end streaming servers and how many customers those will be able to serve simultaneity.

Most lines would be running at about 30-60 mbits on eFibre and they'll be cracking up the speed further when they switch on Vectoring which manages the crosstalk between VDSL lines and allows speeds to increase up to a theoretical 100mbit.

The gear they've installed already supports this.

Advertisement