Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new account??

Options
  • 12-08-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi there,will be moving to ireland in the near future,is it possible to open an account whilst i am still resident in UK? many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi madmaf.

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are delighted to hear you are considering opening an account with us.

In most cases when opening an account, a permanent address in either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland is required, however it may be possible to make an exception in certain circumstances.
    Please contact any of our bank branches and a customer advisor will be happy to assist you. Please see here for the link to our Branch Locator.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fenris69

I inquired about this a short time ago. I'm living in central america but will be travelling to ireland in a month or so. This was their response. What I'm not clear about is if I should just wait till I'm there to bother. If you will have a huge run around applying from abroad vs 30 min in house. Clarification on that point would be nice, I'll probably give a call tomorrow, find out and then update this.

Thank you for contacting us through our Bank of Ireland website, using our 'Contact Us' service.

In response to your savings query, we hope the following information will provide you with the detail you require.

It is possible to open an account in Bank of Ireland if you are non resident in Ireland. You would need to contact a branch of Bank of Ireland directly to ascertain what exact documentation is required (i.e. identification, utility bills etc). Details of branches, and contact numbers is given below. Details of our range of deposit and savings accounts are also available through the website.

Should you need any further information you can choose to contact us at any of the following:

*       Bank of Ireland branches have a dedicated team of Financial Advisors who would be happy to meet with you.  Details of Bank of Ireland branch locations and opening hours can be found under our 'ATM/Branch Locator' section on the Bank of Ireland website, at http://www.bankofireland.com/contact-us/branch-locator/

*       Bank of Ireland Direct Sales team are available Monday to Friday, 8am - 8pm (GMT) should you wish to contact us by phone.

*       If calling from within the Republic of Ireland please call : 01 4044470
    *       If calling from within Northern Ireland please call : 084 573 6555
    *       If calling from within Great Britain please call : 0845 57365 333
    *       If calling from overseas destinations please call : 00353 1404 4470

*       Alternatively you may wish to refer to our Frequently Asked Questions on the Bank of Ireland website at https://www.bankofireland.com/help/faqs/personal/savings

We hope you have found the information provided of help in regard to your savings query.

Many thanks again for using our 'Contact Us' service on the Bank of Ireland website  and we look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi fenris69,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

If you choose to open the account from abroad or wait until you arrive in Ireland is entirely at your own discretion.
    Please see here for our branch locator where you find a branch location most convenient for you.

If there is anything else we may assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks
    Paula C

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fenris69

I just got off the phone with BOI...have to say fantastic service. I was getting jerked around by another Bank not based in Ireland for a month...a large one that starts with B.

BOI took 2 min, advised me that since I was visiting in a month, simply bring my passport or other ID and 2 pieces of address verification and they could certify and open an account. Also recommended a branch based on my expected location.

A bit more difficult if you apply by mail since you need to certify the docs and in some countries it may be difficult to find a notary/lawyer that they can approve. In the UK/US/most western nations it should be no problem at all. If you decide to reside in Ireland they can swap the account to an appropriate one at that time.  The key difference appears to be, if you are applying from the UK you will need to certify your ID, in this case passport and probably drivers license wouldn't hurt also as well as 2 pieces of address verification such as a water and electric bill. If you are willing to visit a BOI branch in Ireland then you can skip the notary.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi fenris69,

We are delighted to hear you had a positive experience and thank you for posting your feedback.

If there is anything else we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
    Paula C

• Advertisement
Advertisement