Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Launched

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

derra_121 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

UPC have informed me of a 140€ installation fee.. On the website this is not quoted anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Derra
    What are they installing?
    All I did was plugged it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

PeteK* wrote: »
    What are they installing?
    All I did was plugged it in!

Thats what I thought. I have the cable in my sitting room ready to install but they insisted a technician come out and do the install. I am going to call them today and question this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

sweetie wrote: »
    don't bother, its a piece of crap that they won't bother improving. They will however take your comments on board.

If you want to record a series prepare for every episode of every series to be recorded multiple times.
    If you want to stream from your pc prepare to have to stop and start three or four times per hour and be randomly disconnected.
    If you want to see whats on tv prepare to have to laboriously scroll through each channel one at a time and only seeing now and next.

Seriously.. how the f*k was this released?? Everything about it is wrong.

- The qwerty keyboard is basically never used as searching for anything on youtube is so laborious.. ENTER button selects qwerty key on screen instead of as a search function - so why bother having the qwerty keyboard! Its bizarre.. On top of that the search results are generally all over the place and you can't filter.
    - Press ok button - options to INFO, RECORD or PAUSE the current channel - wtf? So I'm going to press OK f'ing twice to PAUSE the current channel I'm on when theres already a PAUSE button on the remote? Not to mention how counter-intuitive pressing OK OK to pause a channel is.
    - Having two seperate screens to view NOW and NEXT?? How, how, how could someone think that was a good idea??
    - If you're going to add a feature where previews of whats on a different channel come up... you had better do it fast. Or at the very least, give the option to not wait for the preview to come up, and allow the user to move on channel without waiting...
    but NO.. horizon designers decided to hold the current screen until the video loads, before acknowledging further button presses.
    - I'll also throw in.. not being able to skip more than one channel ahead when searching, not being able to skip more than 30s ahead.
    - Everything might be somewhat bareable.. but in this day and age, when RF remote controls send data 1000's of times faster than IR remote controls... can the User Interface be so slow!!? Its bind boggling..

Luckily - this was what I experienced in a friends house. I still have the old box :).
    I can't understand how that box was released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Giruilla wrote: »
    - If you're going to add a feature where previews of whats on a different channel come up... you had better do it fast. Or at the very least, give the option to not wait for the preview to come up, and allow the user to move on channel without waiting...
    but NO.. horizon designers decided to hold the current screen until the video loads, before acknowledging further button presses.

My box does not do this????? In fact i cant remember the last time ive seen the screen in screen preview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I think the Preview comes up if you've paused at some point then clicked play, when you hit Back the Preview shows what's "Live" on the current channel.

It also comes up if you hit Up/Down on the Now & Next menu, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

Has something changed in the interpretation of the DNS server setting on the horizon box.
    Since I got it and for so long on other boxes I can't remember, I have had the DNS servers set to OpenDns which let me filter stuff. The DHCP server in horizon faithfully passed those on to all connected devices.
    I was having a tidy up today and I noticed my devices using the Horizon box's IP as their DNS and OpenDns no longer working.
    I am not a naif in this area and I so far cannot get things back the way they were.
    This has the potential to make me shout rude things at UPC if they have made DNS non customisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Has something changed in the interpretation of the DNS server setting on the horizon box.
    Since I got it and for so long on other boxes I can't remember, I have had the DNS servers set to OpenDns which let me filter stuff. The DHCP server in horizon faithfully passed those on to all connected devices.
    I was having a tidy up today and I noticed my devices using the Horizon box's IP as their DNS and OpenDns no longer working.
    I am not a naif in this area and I so far cannot get things back the way they were.
    This has the potential to make me shout rude things at UPC if they have made DNS non customisable.

So you want the horizon box to assign opendns as a dns primary or secondary server via DHCP or an I misreading what you are trying to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

So you want the horizon box to assign opendns as a dns primary or secondary server via DHCP or an I misreading what you are trying to do?

Yes, exactly both in fact, which is what it has been doing up until recently.
    I'm trying to narrow down when it stopped working,
    I was happy with the way it was setup and hadn't been near any of these settings for a couple of months.
    I was wondering if anyone with similar setups had noticed the same before I start banging my head against the help desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Yes, exactly both in fact, which is what it has been doing up until recently.
    I'm trying to narrow down when it stopped working,
    I was happy with the way it was setup and hadn't been near any of these settings for a couple of months.
    I was wondering if anyone with similar setups had noticed the same before I start banging my head against the help desk.

Not sure about DNS, but it's caused big problems with openVPN and SIP for me. There seems to be some weird port blocking that has no off option. Terrible box.

-JP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yes, I've had no problems at all (looking at it right now). To access it I use the DynDNS address and port 5000, and it hits it first time every time. On the other hand, I've never managed to hit the Horizon router login page over the internet! Doesn't really matter as I changed the admin password and can't remember what I changed it to... When accessing the Synology NAS while inside the network, I have to access it via IP address, as the DynDNS address doesn't seem to work. I could probably add something to the hosts file to get it to resolve correctly.

On a slightly related note: anyone know how to recover or reset the Horizon router admin password? :o

I know this is old news, but how did you get this working ? I have been trying on my 212j for ages, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Did you use the EZInternet wizard or set up PF manually ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Is there any way to get the unsubscribed channels eg. Syfy out of the list and if there where there is a HD version of a channel, to remove the non-HD version out of the list. I'm a flicker and all those redundant channels are a pain in the ass.

Also, they need to bring back now and next onto the same screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Is there any way to get the unsubscribed channels eg. Syfy out of the list and if there where there is a HD version of a channel, to remove the non-HD version out of the list. I'm a flicker and all those redundant channels are a pain in the ass.

Also, they need to bring back now and next onto the same screen.

Generally leaving the channels you don't have there is seen as advertising to try get you pay for them - at least the up/down buttons skip the damn things normally.

The only HD channels where there's dupes (normally) are due to differing content, e.g. its BBC2 NI and BBC2 HD England - Sky1 / Sky1HD I think is due to different ads, RTE1HD seems to be an oversight.

The now/next thing is my #1 problem with the box. They know its got plenty of space on screen and can render much smaller fonts than they use on that menu, there is no need to split that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

I'm wondering if my subscription is linked to my line & account or is it coded in the box?

i.e. can I bring my horizon box to my mother in laws house and plug it in to watch bt sports on Stephens day. She has horizon but no BT sport sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

pah wrote: »
    I'm wondering if my subscription is linked to my line & account or is it coded in the box?

i.e. can I bring my horizon box to my mother in laws house and plug it in to watch bt sports on Stephens day. She has horizon but no BT sport sub.

Yes i bring my box to my mates all the time

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »

Yes, all your services are linked to the box. I had ours at a different address while we were renovating.

can anyone give me a sloution as to why twonky is streaming films from my pc to Horizon Box in pan and scan? If I watch them through the PS3 they're in the proper letterbox format yet twonky seems to be, most of the time, paning and scanning .

Hi Has anyone body else had problems with the box freezing and not allowing to scroll through channels and working very slow?

Is there any solution to this?

Cheers
    Derra

Its either you have an lg smart Tv or you have a large media library and media scanning turned on on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Edit, got it working

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Generally leaving the channels you don't have there is seen as advertising to try get you pay for them - at least the up/down buttons skip the damn things normally.

Nope, those channels i.e Syfy, Challenge, Quest, Shed, Turbo etc. still in the list when you channel surf. I think we got them free for a short while. Don't think anybody would pay for those. :D

Its either you have an lg smart Tv or you have a large media library and media scanning turned on on the box.
    I have an LG Smart TV but don't have it connected to the internet, because it stops Horizon working properly.

How do I disable that scanning thing? I could try that and see if it works?

factory reset (settings>Horizon HD+> Factory reset> Keep recordings>clear other settings: IMPORTANT, you must clear these settings)
    When it comes back up you will be prompted to setup home networking, just quit this section and dont set this up unless you use an external UPC router, quit any prompts to setup home media also.

Look for posts by paulboland in the main stickie horizon thread, he details it very clearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Nope, those channels i.e Syfy, Challenge, Quest, Shed, Turbo etc. still in the list when you channel surf. I think we got them free for a short while. Don't think anybody would pay for those. :D

Have you tried rebooting the box - that's not meant to happen. One huge advantage all the UPC boxes have over Sky is that the up/down buttons skip channels you don't have.

Most of those (Shed, Turbo, Challenge anyway) were only added in the past few weeks.

MYOB wrote: »
    Have you tried rebooting the box - that's not meant to happen. One huge advantage all the UPC boxes have over Sky is that the up/down buttons skip channels you don't have.

Most of those (Shed, Turbo, Challenge anyway) were only added in the past few weeks.

Switched it on and off today. No difference. Certainly used to work on the "old" UPC boxes but then again Horizon tends to ignore the basics.

anyone having an issue with streaming? With movies I'm getting pan and scan a. With TV progs the aspect is correct. Anyone have any ideas?

Why does it matter if you have an LG smart TV is that what makes the Horizon box to freeze??

yea, there's a whole thread on it in this forum but basically having a LG smart TV and connecting the network to the horizon box causes it to freeze. There is a patch available which you can request and should go live to everyone in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mikew1985

Anyone got a suggestion to help me out.

UPC had to de consolidate my internet from the horizon box due to audio issues.
    I now have a thomson modem/router again, however the Horizon box is still broadcasting an SSID and is on the same channel as my router.
    I should also mention any changes I make to the wireless channell are mirrored by the horizon box somehow(?!)

This is causing unnecessary interference as the thomson wireless signal seems far worse than it used to be before we got the horizon box.
    I had previously turned off wireless completely in the Horizon settings via my PC which was fine.

However I connected the horizon box to my new network and the SSID started broadcasting again.
    I cannot get into the horizon interface via http any more via wired or wireless connection and I can't switch off the wireless via the Horizon box itself either. Anybody got any suggestions short of a factory reset which will cost me my scheduled recordings and all my recorded content to date?

Another massive thumbs up for the Horizon experience! Quite the farce really; I'm on my second horizon box and my second modem router since being de consolidated.

If you are in Client or Join network mode then DHCP is off on the Horizon box and the Thompson is giving the Horizon box its IP address so you need to goto the IP of the Horizon box in the 192.169.1.X or 192.169.0.X range and not the 192.168.192.1 which you connect to when the horizon box is in gateway mode.

What audio issues were you having that were resolved by consolidating the box?

• Advertisement

I actually wasn't in client mode anymore and was struggling to find the default gateway. As with all of these things I almost immediately got access to the router and have now disabled the wifi.

However that now means that the box can't be connected to my network, unless I go ethernet I suppose (all 4 are used up at the minute + 4 in a LAN switch). A bit crap that the default is to continue to get the Horizon to broadcast a join able SSID on the same channel as your actual router. seems an odd decision to me.

Audio issues were stuttering which seemed to be being caused by having wired connections into the box. I narrowed it down to my NAS. They were not able to offer a satisfactory solution to stop the stuttering other than to de-consolidate.

You can connect the horizon to the thompson wirelessly in client mode and set the channel to a free one in the web gui.

Bizarrely it won't allow you to make any changes to wireless settings when in client mode in the Web gui.

Can't alter ssid, wireless channel or wireless broadcast power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I'm not sure if I have a unit problem or maybe a misunderstanding.

The new Horizon HD+ box arrived and after connecting it to the UPC cable then we couldn't get internet access via the router wireless channel (nor if we connected directly to one of the ethernet ports). UPC sent out a cable modem/router and that is fine if we connect to it wirelessly; it and the HD+ box are both connected to the cable. If I add the HD+ box integrated router to the new modem network via a powerline adaptor then it gets allocated a new IP address as expected but we still cannot connect to the internet via the HD+ box wireless channel.

Sounds like a dud box.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

Has anyone just found their Favourites are no longer in order?

Mine were ok up until this week.

Is there a handy fix?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

I'm based in Dublin 6.

Connected to the Horizon box today.

Set up the wi-fi network and connected my laptop.

I then did a speed test and these are the results from UPC's speed test:

Download Speed: 43.35 Mbps

Upload Speed: 10.50 Mbps

Rather average, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

panama wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin 6.

Rather average, no?

This is normal, it's a limit of your laptop wifi card.
    If you connect laptop directly via cat6 cable (Ethernet LAN cable) you get the full speed.
    You probably have a 802.11g card, try change Wifi card to 802.11n which runs 300mb but even then don't expect to see full speed.. Wifi has loads of overhead that reduces actual speed. The best I ever saw from my 200 mb service was 75mb over a 300mb wifi link.... But wifi is fine for most applications.

panama wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin 6.

Rather average, no?

No, Those are good speeds over wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

trackerman wrote: »
    This is normal, it's a limit of your laptop wifi card.
    If you connect laptop directly via cat6 cable (Ethernet LAN cable) you get the full speed.
    You probably have a 802.11g card, try change Wifi card to 802.11n which runs 300mb but even then don't expect to see full speed.. Wifi has loads of overhead that reduces actual speed. The best I ever saw from my 200 mb service was 75mb over a 300mb wifi link.... But wifi is fine for most applications.

Cool thanks for explaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Bought Horizon in Dec 2013.

2 phone calls to tech support, 1 visit from engineer, UPC restructured contract to only give broadband this week due to my complaints.

The person who I was speaking to in the loyalty dept said that there was a software upgrade due in late January which should solve issues with the box freezing, missing recordings etc.

She couldn't guarantee that the upgrade would work with LG tvs though (bizzare?!) so for that reason she said that they'd let me out of TV contract and give me 120mb broadband for €35pm instead.

Called Sky and got basic package + sports + movies 1/2 price for 12 months.

I'm relieved.

connundrum wrote: »

She couldn't guarantee that the upgrade would work with LG tvs though

Called Sky and got basic package + sports + movies 1/2 price for 12 months.
    LG TVs are the only problem with it, really! :( I hope they sort it!

My parents have the best package with everything on Sky for €19 a month! Though I prefer the UPC box over Sky's box. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi connundrum, PeteK*

There is a software update available now which will resolve any issues using the Horizon Service with your LG Smart TV.

If you PM our UPC: Reps account with your account details we will have the software update sent to your Horizon boxes.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I see the latest update to the Horizon iOS app that 3G streaming is enabled for Swiss users are there any plans to roll this out too irish users.

link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

link?

When you update the App on the list of improvements it's showing on the latest version on the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/horizon.tv/id549148968?mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

link?

What's New in Version 1.6.3
    - Solved app crash when app wakes up from background
    - iPad homepage optimized
    - Small bugfixes & product enhancements
    - Streaming via 3G (Switzerland only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Any advice on getting a better wifi range, it's seriously limiting now, much worse than the previous router.

paulboland wrote: »
    What's New in Version 1.6.3
    - Solved app crash when app wakes up from background
    - iPad homepage optimized
    - Small bugfixes & product enhancements
    - Streaming via 3G (Switzerland only)

Ah, ok, I saw that online but was wondering about the releasing in Ireland bit as I thought Heisenberg said it was due out in ireland but on a re-read it was actually a question.

I sincerly doubt it will be due to licencing unless UPC get into the quad play (tv, broadband, home and mobile phone) market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Anyone have issues with the Remote Control, in particular volume control and mute functions. Neither work yet have no issues with any other functions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement