Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Rented Land

Options
  • 12-08-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who would you ask if a farmer is renting land and youd like to shoot on it,Is it the farmer or land owner or both or depends?

Need more permission have hardly any!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Whomever has the sporting rights. If the renter has it ask him, if not then the land owner.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Cass wrote: »
    Whomever has the sporting rights. If the renter has it ask him, if not then the land owner.

Thanks,Is there such thing as when someone is renting it out they sign a contract to say shooting may not take place on the land?

Sometimes the land owner will reserve the rights about sporting rights, other times the renter may include it in the lease deal. All you can do is approach the person that runs the land, ask for permission, see what they say, and then get everything in writing.

IOW CYA (cover your ass).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Sometimes the land owner will reserve the rights about sporting rights, other times the renter may include it in the lease deal. All you can do is approach the person that runs the land, ask for permission, see what they say, and then get everything in writing.

IOW CYA (cover your ass).

Yeah alot of land behind us thats rented out the owner is elderly and may not like anyone shooting on it but i might ask the renter.

Why CYA?In case the land owner or renter does not agree but dose not hold the sporting rights?

I have been told i cant shoot on land as they (owner) signed the lease for so many years to say no shooting on the land which im thinkin could be bs.

1shot16 wrote: »
    Why CYA?In case the land owner or renter does not agree but dose not hold the sporting rights?
    If the renter gives you the go ahead, but the land owner throws one. Amazing how people's memory gets fuzzy. Have the permission in writing.
    I have been told i cant shoot on land as they (owner) signed the lease for so many years to say no shooting on the land which im thinkin could be bs.
    The land owner can retain sporting rights. Nothing odd in it.

Just approach whomever is working the land, as can they give you permission to shoot on the land or do you need to ask the owner. Also get a feel of what the owner thinks about shooting on his land.

Not everyone you ask will say yes. You'll get refused more time that granted permission. Persistence is the key.

• Advertisement

If the renter gives you the go ahead, but the land owner throws one. Amazing how people's memory gets fuzzy. Have the permission in writing.

The land owner can retain sporting rights. Nothing odd in it.

Just approach whomever is working the land, as can they give you permission to shoot on the land or do you need to ask the owner. Also get a feel of what the owner thinks about shooting on his land.

Not everyone you ask will say yes. You'll get refused more time that granted permission. Persistence is the key.

I know one farmer down the road said he needs crows gone out of sheds and dosent mind people shooting on his land a few months ago havent got the chance to ask him but i will in coming weeks hopefully!

How do ye know who owns land and where thats what puzzles me the most of do ye just ask farmers?Id be happy with 2 or 3 more permissions and maybe get more as time goes on!

How do ye know who owns land and where thats what puzzles me the most of do ye just ask farmers?
    As sad above;
    Just approach whomever is working the land, ask can they give you permission to shoot on the land or do you need to ask the owner. .
    All you can do is approach the person that runs the land, ask for permission, see what they say, and then get everything in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'd the same question with land a couple of weeks ago. So I asked them both out of curtisy and they were delighted I had the manners to ask them both. And I ended up with more land than I intended or even knew they were gonna give me.

If you see some closeing a gate or looking into field start talking about the weather and ask them who owns the land.

I'd the same question with land a couple of weeks ago. So I asked them both out of curtisy and they were delighted I had the manners to ask them both. And I ended up with more land than I intended or even knew they were gonna give me.

If you see some closeing a gate or looking into field start talking about the weather and ask them who owns the land.

Lucky! not much farmed land around here.People just keep the land and leave them idle so no hope of seeing anyone working them!

Gettin permission is the hardest thing IMO depending on where you live i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Pending how much effort you put in. Drop names that have given you permission Already and just keep knocking bud. As said already you will get more nos than yes's that's just the way it is but don't loose faith.

• Advertisement

Yeah even if i got a yes every 1 in 5 or 6 id be happy im not going to get permission without asking!

I wont be out shooting much now maybe a few days in the next week or 2 im only home once in every few weeks when im back in school so im not too stuck for permission atm. Hopefully ill get some for next spring and summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Y
    I wont be out shooting much now maybe a few days in the next week or 2 im only home once in every few weeks when im back in school so im not too stuck for permission atm. Hopefully ill get some for next spring and summer!

A very large permission just opened up for me recently, I got it through an other farmer who's land I shoot. The new guy seems delighted to have some one take care of the pigeons and crows. But he did point out that he wanted guys who are willing to shoot on the cold and bleak days of winter and not just for days over summer grain and rape.

Keep working them permissions, the effort put in usually produces more permissions...

A very large permission just opened up for me recently, I got it through an other farmer who's land I shoot. The new guy seems delighted to have some one take care of the pigeons and crows. But he did point out that he wanted guys who are willing to shoot on the cold and bleak days of winter and not just for days over summer grain and rape.

Keep working them permissions, the effort put in usually produces more permissions...

I wouldnt mind going out on cold days its just im home once a month for the weekend so it would be hard for me to go out other than spring and summer!

I think having a air rifle may be in my favor,Being able to take out crows pigeons and rats around the yard in barns and sheds!Also not havin serious power may not panic or worry the farmer! I have one or two farmers lined up! :D

Also i did a few jobs for a farmer on work experience we know the family well has alot of land 100-200 acres! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Once they know your genuine and been straight with them there's usually no problems.

The air rifle will work in your favour, the new lad was giving off about roosting pigeons in his farm buildings. Right place for an air rifle.

Each firearm has its own unique use.....best of luck with your endeavors.

Just got permission to shoot crows and pigeons around a shed and barn also got 3 or 4 fields by the same farmer happy out!

Advertisement