Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fluent Irish speaker needed (urgent)

• 12-08-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am doing an important project with some Irish interwoven in it. I would love if someone could help me and make sure my translations are correct as my Irish is not as good as i wish it was. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

rathq wrote: »
    I am doing an important project with some Irish interwoven in it. I would love if someone could help me and make sure my translations are correct as my Irish is not as good as i wish it was. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated :):)

Google "Irish Learners' Forum". There are users there, native speakers included, that will help put together the best translation for you.

Of if it's short a few of us could probably put something together for you here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Irish Learner's Forum is probably the best free resource on-line. Fast, accurate, interesting translations and discussions, and a great little community of posters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rathq

Hi Gumbi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I went on to Irish learner forum, posted my two sentences and got a reply. That I should take up a new project and learn Irish. Very helpful. I haven't given up though. The Reason I want help with the sentences is for my book. It involves a lot of magic and I decided that I would use Irish as the language of the ancients. Not Latin or Greek like other authors. My Book is nearly finished and before I send of to an agent I want to make sure I have done the best possible job and that includes representing the Irish language in a new light. And introducing it to a whole new generation. ( I know being fluent would be helpful, but I've always but the cart before the horse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Why not just pay for an official translator? If the book is a commercial project then it is a bit questionable your coming on asking for free help in a hurry. If it is not commercial then fair enough.

In any case, I am a native Irish speaker (I am Irish, therefore native) but my Irish is not at that high level required.

FWVT wrote: »
    Why not just pay for an official translator? If the book is a commercial project then it is a bit questionable your coming on asking for free help in a hurry. If it is not commercial then fair enough.

In any case, I am a native Irish speaker (I am Irish, therefore native) but my Irish is not at that high level required.

???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

FWVT wrote: »

Don't post rubbish like this here again. Add something helpful, or don't post at all.

Hi Gumbi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I went on to Irish learner forum, posted my two sentences and got a reply. That I should take up a new project and learn Irish. Very helpful. I haven't given up though.

Looks like Saoirse gave you a far more helpful answer since the first one you got. You'll probably have some decent suggestions in the next 24 hours or so. :)

hopefully. I just seem to be having one onf those days on forums. I'll check it out again tomorrow. :)

Hi FWVT,
    I am an unpublished,but hope to be published Author. I work 9 to 5 every day. I have to write when I am off and at weekends. I do not earn enough to pay for an professional translator. Maybe if I get Published I might take on your suggestion. Until then while this is a pipe dream I will ask for help: if that is still allowed and hopefully get some.
    Thanks for your comment. It will always be remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

hopefully. I just seem to be having one onf those days on forums. I'll check it out again tomorrow. :)

Do you want to post the sentences here? I'll try to translate them for you if I'm online in next few days, or you can PM me. I'm not a native speaker but I'm pretty fluent and can tell you honestly if I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

The ILF will give you some help. Ignore the guy who posted first. Pog it has good Irish, he'll have a nice crack t it I'd, and I'm happy to give my opinion as well.

Off to bed now, though! G'night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Firstly, I misread the thread title. For some reason I had it in my head that the op was looking for a native speaker, and missed the fluent bit. Mea culpa.

I just don't understand why, if it's so urgent and the book waiting in the publisher's, you can't pay the modest (20-30 euro?) fee it would cost to get it done properly by a professional. You would have it done by now, could be confident of the quality and would not need to rely on some unkown people on a forum who could post any rubbish and you would know no better. But it's your book and you're entitled to do what you like.

I never said I had a book in the publishers. You have to have an agent for that to happen. Maybe my title heading was misleading but this is very importantly to me. I am sorry if my request has injured your sensibilities. These two sites were recomended to me to ask for help and I will be forever greatful for what they have done so far. I will take your comment under advisement and it I ever get published, I might use the route you recomended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

If you're still looking, post what you need below and I'll give it a shot.

lfqnic wrote: »
    If you're still looking, post what you need below and I'll give it a shot.

Thank you I think I will stick to what the irish forum gave me. If I get stuck later on I might take up your offer. Thanks again :)

Advertisement