Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low fat dog food suggestion

• 12-08-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭

On a recent trip to the vets the vet said our Shih Tzu was a bit overweight at 8.5 kg and ideally should be 7.5 kg.

He eats Red Mills leader nuts which he is fine with as long as there is something with them. He just won't eat nuts on their own for whatever reason and will go hungry instead. So i've been putting in a fork or two of Aldi meaty food in the tray. However i'm sure this is probably not the best and very fatty even though he only gets a small bit.

The vet said to feed him the nuts needed for a 7kg dog for a bit to help bring down weight. This seems to have worked as he's lost a bit of weight in the past couple weeks.

As well i'd like to get rid of the aldi food. Could anyone reccommend a good quality meat tin/tray that i can mix in with his nuts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

big_drive wrote: »
    On a recent trip to the vets the vet said our Shih Tzu was a bit overweight at 8.5 kg and ideally should be 7.5 kg.

He eats Red Mills leader nuts which he is fine with as long as there is something with them. He just won't eat nuts on their own for whatever reason and will go hungry instead. So i've been putting in a fork or two of Aldi meaty food in the tray. However i'm sure this is probably not the best and very fatty even though he only gets a small bit.

The vet said to feed him the nuts needed for a 7kg dog for a bit to help bring down weight. This seems to have worked as he's lost a bit of weight in the past couple weeks.

As well i'd like to get rid of the aldi food. Could anyone reccommend a good quality meat tin/tray that i can mix in with his nuts?

Thanks

If you want a lean dog switch to burns dry food. Even just chicken and brown rice no need for high oats. I don't buy wet food however I got 6 free cans of "rocco classic" with my delivery recently and my dogs loved it and it didn't smell bad! http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/canned_dog_food/rocco/rocco_classic/128760

I have never bought wet food before but occassionaly give the dogs a tin of tuna/sardines/mackerel between them. Maybe you could get the brine one and drain it as oil would have more kcals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Switch to a food with no wheat/gluten free and stick to the guideline feeding amounts. I find this helps a lot. I also only feed dry food. Any meat I give them is scraps from whatever meat or veg im cooking that day

I feed Lukullus http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/lukullus/156093#more

I stick to the feeding guidelines and if I am adding some scraps from the kitchen I will adjust the amount of nuts down.

Advertisement