Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose between two English Masters please!

• 12-08-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi! I am a primary school teacher and I have always enjoyed studying English. It has always been an ambition of mine to study a Masters in English. I have it in my head to study a MA in Children's Literature due to my profession as it may open up other job opportunities for me. The trouble is that I am living in the West of Ireland and cannot avail of any of the part time/evening Masters that are available in Dublin. I cannot afford to take out a year from teaching to go back to college full time as I plan to go travelling in the next 2 years and I am saving (or trying to!).

This leaves me with two online MAs. A Children's Literature MA with the University of Roehampton in London or a general MA in English with the Open University. I have been accepted into the Uni of Roehampton but having asked around people do not seem to think it is a great University. It is ranked 54 in league tables and reviews are not great.

Is it better to do a specific MA in a poorly rated University or do a general MA with the Open Uni which has a better reputation. I'm not really sure where I want an MA to take me, if anywhere, but I don't want to spend alot of money on something that will be worth very little in the end. Any thoughts/advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Advertisement