Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refusal to Refund College Feea

• 12-08-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for advice, I applied and secured a place on degree program commencing on September 20th. I paid a deposit €250 and a further €1000 to accept my place and I did sign a form out lining that once accpetance on the course, any fees paid are non-refundable. I am recovering from a serious car accident and physically will be unable to do anything for months and I have informed the college of this. Are the college legally entitled to hold on to the full amount, I understand if some was held back for processing fees but they are refusing to refund me anything. Can somebody please help with some advise, should I seek legal advise.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

We can't offer legal advice. I don't think a hypothetical person in that situation has any valid claim to a refund.

Has the period for deferrals closed yet? Is it not possible for the deposit to form part of next year's payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eimearb

I left college after three days due to mental health reasons, got a note from my doctor and the college refunded everything apart from a €50 processsing fee. Now I was only doing a Fetac course but it all applies. Stand your ground, get doctors confirmation and send off to the college. If they still refuse then threaten legal action because they wouldn't want the bad publicity so might respond quicker.

Hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

In fairness that may have been a case of altruism. Deposits are generally non-refundable unless a candidate is no longer eligible for entry. I wouldn't go threatening legal action if it isn't established there is a valid legal argument to be made.

Gently gently can achieve the same result with less hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

OzMister wrote: »
    I am recovering from a serious car accident and physically will be unable to do anything for months and I have informed the college of this.

Would the car insurance cover for loss?

Advertisement