Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fibre extention cable for new fibre modem

• 12-08-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Ordered fibre bb package from Vodafone and was told that the modem has to be plugged into the main socket. This probably wont suit as the socket is in a less than ideal location. I asked about this and was told that they can run an extension "kit" for €60 Basically an extension cable chased along the skirting board from what the Customer Services rep could tell me.

Anyone know what kind of cable/kit this is and if they are talking b0ll0x or not? Is it something i can buy myself? I currently have the current modem/router connected via a bog standard 10m extension phone line to the socket so the router is in a more ideal location.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its cat5/6. It would probably operate at 90%+ capacity with a short length of CAT6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if you care about speeds you should always have the modem as close to the master socket as possible then afterward route that via cat5/6.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

i have 100mb upc bb. and my house wired with cat6. i run from router to a switch and up to the bedroom which is a good 15 meters with less than 1mb loss of speed. hope that helps

tazzzZ wrote: »
    i have 100mb upc bb. and my house wired with cat6. i run from router to a switch and up to the bedroom which is a good 15 meters with less than 1mb loss of speed. hope that helps

Thats different, your modem is still connected to the drop of Co-ax.

With fibre the main socket uses an RJ45 instead of an 11 that ADSL/PSTN uses. So running more cat5 as above is like extending the co-ax vs internal networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

Does anyone know can you get it on the extension on the day or do you have to order it in advance?I've been told different things from vodafone customer service.Thanks if anyone knows as they are coming tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ED E wrote: »
    With fibre the main socket uses an RJ45 instead of an 11 that ADSL/PSTN uses. So running more cat5 as above is like extending the co-ax vs internal networking.

Ah ok, thats great. So i can just buy my own cat6 cable for less that €10 and chase it myself instead of being fleeced. A drop of a few mb doesnt bother as I'm currently only on a 8mb package so the speed bump of up fibre will more than compensate. Less than 30m from the fibre cabinet too so pretty hopeful of >50mb speeds!
    tony-od wrote: »
    Does anyone know can you get it on the extension on the day or do you have to order it in advance?I've been told different things from vodafone customer service.Thanks if anyone knows as they are coming tomorrow.

If you want to go that route instead of buying yer own I was told the engineers "normally" have the cable and you can just buy it on the day of installation and they will invoice you for it so it will then appear on your next bill from VF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Scruff wrote: »
    Ordered fibre bb package from Vodafone and was told that the modem has to be plugged into the main socket. This probably wont suit as the socket is in a less than ideal location. I asked about this and was told that they can run an extension "kit" for €60 Basically an extension cable chased along the skirting board from what the Customer Services rep could tell me.

Anyone know what kind of cable/kit this is and if they are talking b0ll0x or not? Is it something i can buy myself? I currently have the current modem/router connected via a bog standard 10m extension phone line to the socket so the router is in a more ideal location.

Would it not just be easier to use Power line? http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/add-ons/?ts=1376388715587

You could also run the cable yourself - you'd need CAT5/6 and also a standard faceplate

Powerline would add latency and expense for a short distance.

Installation is finally being done Monday. I just opened the vodafone modem which is a Huawei HG658c. There is no mention of Fiber at all just DSL which uses the old RJ11 socket on the modem. There is an RJ45 port coloured red an labeled as WAN. Is this the connection that the router uses for Fiber from the new ntu wall socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

No, the dsl RJ11 connection is used to connect the modem to the NTU. The RJ45 was used for FTTH with magnet and eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

ED E wrote: »
    Powerline would add latency and expense for a short distance.

3-4 ms

have to admit to being still confused as to what connects to what using what cable :rolleyes:.
    Anywho, engineer came replaced ntu face plate and plugged a regular rj11 in to the DSL port on the vodafone huawei router. I asked him about using rj45 cat6 cable relocate the router to where i wanted it and he said no that i would need cat5e with an rj11 connector.
    So having cat5e but no rj11 connectors i just used my already chased 15m regular flat rj11 extension cable that i had used with the old router and DSL package and the result was a completely negligible drop in performance.

router plugged directly into NTU with short rj11 that came in the box:
    2924410579.png

relocated router plugged into NTU with 15m rj11 extension cable:
    2925758444.png

So now the router is in a much better location and no messing with crimping and chasing new cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Take a reading from the modem page for the attenuation and noise margins on both cables to see if they change by much or at all.

Advertisement