Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelling UPC digital

• 12-08-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi, I currently have Tv, broadband and phone from UPC but I'm finding that the channels I get on the digital that I watch are free on satellite. I have the basic 17 or so channels in other rooms in my house. I'm wondering if I keep the broadband and phone but cancel tv with upc would they actually have a way to stop me getting the basic 17 channels in my rooms?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I think they cut your Tv off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

thomasjad wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I keep the broadband and phone but cancel tv with upc would they actually have a way to stop me getting the basic 17 channels in my rooms?

No, it all comes in on the 1 cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think this is relveant and might give the OP some pointers to alternatives.

I'm in the process of cancelling the TV and Phone. I was paying 11 euro for TV that is rarely used. What alternatives are there to the UPC TV service?

I'm aware of Saorview, UK Freesat and also Magnet's AerTV service.

Saorview is probably available on my tv already. If not I can get a combo box that will recevie both Saorview and UK Freesat. I'm within 10km of both RTE and Three Rock, so I would assume I don't need and external antenna to get Saorview. I would however need a satellite dish for Freesat, which costs EUR 90 to install.

As for AerTV, I wonder would this work with my Raspberry Pi. I know that there is an app for running Aer TV on XBMC, but it seems a little slow and flaky. It's also a subscription service to get all the UK and Ireland channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

thomasjad wrote: »
    Hi, I currently have Tv, broadband and phone from UPC but I'm finding that the channels I get on the digital that I watch are free on satellite. I have the basic 17 or so channels in other rooms in my house. I'm wondering if I keep the broadband and phone but cancel tv with upc would they actually have a way to stop me getting the basic 17 channels in my rooms?

you will be able to keep the analogue channels but there will be a standalone charge of €6.00 if you drop their tv service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Bodan wrote: »
    you will be able to keep the analogue channels but there will be a standalone charge of €6.00 if you drop their tv service.

€6.00 is a standalone charge if you subscribe to a broadband package only. The OP is will be keeping internet and phone packages so the €6.00 doesn't apply.
    A standalone charge of €6.00 applies to all Broadband packs and is in addition to the prices shown here. This charge is not applicable if Broadband is taken with a UPC TV or Home Phone service.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/fifty/#3

• Advertisement
Advertisement