Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for business

Options
  • 12-08-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering does anyone know what if any insurance are mandatory by law? I have the idea for a place that would involve physical activities for entertainment. If I had people sign a weaver at the start of the day would I still legally need to have insurance in case someone was injured?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

thomasjad wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering does anyone know what if any insurance are mandatory by law? I have the idea for a place that would involve physical activities for entertainment. If I had people sign a weaver at the start of the day would I still legally need to have insurance in case someone was injured?

I'm open to correction on this but I think Public Liability is the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would agree with you there. I think if people sign a statement absolving the owner it's alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I think if people sign a statement absolving the owner it's alright.

Again Im open to correction and am not 100% but I think the person is still open to pursuing a claim against a person or company regardless of if they have signed a waiver.

Hence why Public Liability is mandatory. Thats always been my understanding of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would be interested in knowing more about this if you were able to provide me with information. I just made that last statement off the top of my head, so I fully concede to you on this one, you probably know more about it than I do. I don't know much about this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Motor insurance is the only mandatory insurance in Ireland. You or your company just take on the liability if you have no cover. It is a huge risk you take mot being insured, it really does not matter what kind of business you have, if someone is injured while on your premises, work on the basis that you are liable! Public liability insurance would not cover patrons who experience injury through partaking in your activity itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

As peter said Motor Insurance is the only mandatory insurance. There is a view that Employers liability should also be mandatory but it was never brought into effect. (it is mandatory in the UK)

Advertisement