Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband painfully slow in Monasterevin tonight.

Options
  • 12-08-2013 10:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Please God this is not a sign of things to come, past experiences of slowdown and eircom unable to track a fault meaning 7 months of terrible service followed by 9 months of terrible serivce and eircom telling me there is no fault on for each time after my months of pestering yes indeed faults were found.

Since then things have improved and we even have up to 24 mb in the area now which is meant to be congestion free.

Tonight im seeings terrible speeds on all my devices,popped into a neighbour and they are having the same issue.

Normally 20ms and rock solid 13mb/s download.

Whats going on eircom?

2896765497.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Noticed the same thing myself here in Portlaoise the past few hours.  Pings have gone to hell, normally I get between 30 and 80 here and rock steady download speed of around 7Mbps but tonight the pings have shot up, between about 120 and 180 and various speedtest sites are reporting anything between 2 and 7Mbps, no longer steady either, completely eratic.  Makes me wonder if it's a wider problem with the network tonight.  Will check again tomorrow and see if it goes back to normal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Noticed the same thing myself here in Portlaoise the past few hours.  Pings have gone to hell, normally I get between 30 and 80 here and rock steady download speed of around 7Mbps but tonight the pings have shot up, between about 120 and 180 and various speedtest sites are reporting anything between 2 and 7Mbps, no longer steady either, completely eratic.  Makes me wonder if it's a wider problem with the network tonight.  Will check again tomorrow and see if it goes back to normal.

Yes exact same speed fluctuations here.
    One of those longterm issues i mentioned above was actually tracked back to a faulty card in Portlaoise exchange.
    Certainly looks like a wider issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Dcully wrote: »
    Please God this is not a sign of things to come, past experiences of slowdown and eircom unable to track a fault meaning 7 months of terrible service followed by 9 months of terrible serivce and eircom telling me there is no fault on for each time after my months of pestering yes indeed faults were found.

Since then things have improved and we even have up to 24 mb in the area now which is meant to be congestion free.

Tonight im seeings terrible speeds on all my devices,popped into a neighbour and they are having the same issue.

Normally 20ms and rock solid 13mb/s download.

Whats going on eircom?

2896765497.png

Hi Dcully

I've run all the tests we can do from here and found nothing that would be contributing to such speeds.

There is little I will be able to help you with this issue from here so the best advice I can offer is to contact eircoms broadband support department on 1890260260 (option 0).

Al

Thanks Alan, ill give it another night or two to see if things settle down.
    Speeds are fine right now@ daytime.

Thanks Alan, ill give it another night or two to see if things settle down.
    Speeds are fine right now@ daytime.

Ok Dcully

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just wanted to give an update to say that things seem to be back to normal in Portlaoise too.  I'll check again later this evening/tonight to see if it is okay then or if perhaps it's something that's happening at a certain time due to contention or whatever but fingers crossed it'll remain fine.

Back to normal during the day but slowing down yet again this evening.
    Isnt NGB supposed to be congestion free?

I simply refuse to go through what i have done in the past with eircom.
    On each occasion of the two major issues i touched upon above ringing support over and over again didnt help, 7 months [issue 1] and then 9 months [issue 2] ringing support did not help.
    It took the reps on this forum to get things sorted.

If this is not sorted asap i will be blocking my direct debit.
    There is no way i will make the same mistake again and continue to pay for such a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Back to normal during the day but slowing down yet again this evening.
    Isnt NGB supposed to be congestion free?

I simply refuse to go through what i have done in the past with eircom.
    On each occasion of the two major issues i touched upon above ringing support over and over again didnt help, 7 months [issue 1] and then 9 months [issue 2] ringing support did not help.
    It took the reps on this forum to get things sorted.

If this is not sorted asap i will be blocking my direct debit.
    There is no way i will make the same mistake again and continue to pay for such a service.

Hi Dcully,

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing issues you are having and I understand your frustration with the service.

I have ran all the tests I can from my side here and the only thing I can notice is there is interference on the line generally due to the internal set up or faulty equipment.

The only section that can make any changes for you are the technical support team I'm afraid on 1890 260 260 (telephone number and option 0)

Unfortunately I don't have the systems to make any change for you.

I would suggest before calling them, connecting your modem directly to the socket eliminating the filters and run a speed test, they will ask you to do this first. Also contact them from your mobile so they can test your line and service accurately.

Sorry I can't help you any further from here.

Thanks

Tracey

Thanks Tracey but nothing has changed my end, things are as they have been for many a year.
    I always connect modem directly to the socket.

Its been fine since i got NGB with no slowdown any time of the day, up until this week that is.
    Its only slowing down during the evenings.
    This simply has to be congestion yet i was guaranteed a congestion free service.
    Or its an issue at the exchange like previous occasions.

Yet again after 9pm things are slowing down both in my house and my neighbours, things are rock solid up to 9 pm.
    This is incredibly frustrating , im paying a lot of money to get a congestion free service.

• Advertisement

Yet again after 9pm things are slowing down both in my house and my neighbours, things are rock solid up to 9 pm.
    This is incredibly frustrating , im paying a lot of money to get a congestion free service.
    Hi Dcully

We are unable to offer advice or support on this from here as we have been unable to identify the issue as per our tests conducted.

The best advice I can offer is to contact eircom technical support on 1890260260 (option 0).

Thanks

Al

Advertisement