Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New estate agent wants to do inventory after 1 year+ of tenancy

Options
  • 13-08-2013 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I've been renting a house since April of 2012 with another person on a 1 year lease. The first estate agent was absolutely useless and never did anything bar inspect the house after 2 months and collect the rent, and neither they or the landlord were great at getting repairs done, which quite a few ended up being needed.

The landlord then stopped using them after 1 year since they were not really doing anything for either them or us and we then just started lodging our rent into the ll's bank acct and we were told we would have a new lease drawn up and given to us to sign.

Now they've told my housemate that they decided to give the house to another estate agent and that the new agent wants to come in and do an inventory of things belonging to the landlord, but we've already been there over a year so this will entail him coming in while we have to be there to tell him what's ours and what's not. He also wants to make copies of our IDs and take PPS numbers etc. which we already did with the previous agent.

I work nights and don't want this inconvenience as it should have been done by the landlord or the previous agent before we moved all our stuff in. We've already had to have tradesman in for days at a time on multiple occasions to do repairs that also should have been done before we moved in and we are really tired of having our privacy invaded by strangers, especially going into our bedrooms. The other thing is that the house was never properly cleared out and there is still a lot of things from the previous occupant (the owner) that we had to put up in the attic to have space for our stuff. I don't want to be held accountable for these things as they will not be used and actually should be removed so we can store our stuff there, we're essentially paying to store the landlords belongings.

I was thinking of just making a list of the things that are in the rooms we use (2 BRs, sitting room, kitchen, dining room) and give it to the agent with the copy of my ID when he comes and say 'I just did this up for you myself to save us both time'. Does that sound reasonable enough?

He's going to have to come in anyway to give us the new lease which is fine, but I don't think I should have to allow him into our bedrooms just to see that there is in fact a bed and chest of drawers there. We've been really good tenants, keep the place tidy and pay rent on time and just want to keep doing that with a minimum of disturbance, and I am working a 60 hr week this week, he's coming on my one full day off and don't want to be taking all day to do something that should have been done already.

Any advice on how to handle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

I suggest you speak with your landlord and if necessary the estate agent.

If he appointed a new agent they are entitled (with previous appointment) to check the whole place and take note of what is there for purpose of your new contract as well as all tenant personal details.

As for previous tenants rubbish, tell your landlord you will bin them unless removed. You're under no obligation to store them if you are the one paying rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Yes I know. It's just annoying because I am the one being inconvenienced on my day off and we did everything asked to get the house when we moved in, now we have to do everything over again, bar the actual moving of our possessions, due to the incompetence of the landlord and previous agent. Would have been much easier if the inventory was done before we moved our stuff in. Now I have to sit there with the agent and tell him which furnishings are ours and which are the landlords in every room. The agent will be getting paid for his time, I'll be made to spend part of my 1 day off this week doing this including preparing/cleaning for his visit. But I suppose there is no point making the list myself since he would have to check it anyway.

I would have binned all the stuff ages ago except it is all large stuff, boxes of old pots and pans, old lady bric a brac, old furniture, etc. You would need a skip and they are extremely expensive. But I plan on making this a big sticking point when he comes in, that it needs to be removed because I don't want to be responsible for any of it and we need the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If there had been an inventory appended to your original lease, that would still stand: the items listed should still be there or you accept responsibility for replacing them before you hand the property back.

Because the landlord or the previous agent failed to make an inventory, the new agent has no way of identifying what belongs to the landlord, and what belongs to you. So the agent might as well accept your list.

It's not really furniture that is the problem: it's smaller items that are removable - things like bedside lamps, microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, and kitchen stuff.

The landlord or the landlord's agent has the right to make an occasional inspection visit by arrangement with you in order to ensure that the property is being properly looked after. It might be unreasonable to refuse the agent permission to have a look into the bedrooms for that purpose. That does not entail permission to look through wardrobes and drawers, or anything so intrusive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

With regard to your ID and PPS number the LL should have a copy already. If not then he should get them off the old agent. I am not sure I would be happy with the old agent hanging onto them for no reason.

An inventory after a year of occupation is worthless. It would be better if the LL just gave a list of what he believes is in the house and then you can initial it if you agree or query any errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

sligoface wrote: »
    ....I would have binned all the stuff ages ago except it is all large stuff, boxes of old pots and pans, old lady bric a brac, old furniture, etc. You would need a skip and they are extremely expensive. But I plan on making this a big sticking point when he comes in, that it needs to be removed because I don't want to be responsible for any of it and we need the space.

If you rented the place with that stuff in it, then you ARE responsible for it. The solution is not to move into a place if your not happy with the furniture.

You'd need to get the LL permission (or the agents if they have that permission) can you get rid of it. If the LL has done nothing thus far, the odds of him clearing it and paying for for its removal is slim to none.

If you remove without permission, and the LL has photos and a list then you could be billed for it. Likewise if you move stuff into a shed or attic and it become damaged by the conditions there.

If the agent wants to do a list they may be a bit more professional than most of them, and be happy to clear the stuff for you. Many have handyman service the use to look after properties. So it might a good opportunity to get the house cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So previous agent was useless and did nothing and was slow to do anything causing you a lot of grief, and now it looks like the new agent is being pro active in getting everything set up the right way and put the tenancy in good stead.

I'd be inclined to take that hit on your time (which they are allowed to do anyway albeit it not too frequently), and get things set up in a way that suits both of you, including getting rid of the attic rubbish, establishing a good inventory, you should also take the opportunity to establish what happens with bills in your/your landlord name and confirm that the deposit has been transferred to the new agent from the old agent, or that the landlord has confirmed the amount of the deposit with the new agent.

They require the PPS and Id's for PRTB registration, I doubt you'd gain anything by not handing them over, that the old EA (who was fired) has them is kind of irrelevant, the new EA is not going to chase the old EA to make sure your data is deleted from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I work nights and don't want this inconvenience ... and I am working a 60 hr week this week, he's coming on my one full day off and don't want to be taking all day to do something that should have been done already.

Any advice on how to handle this?

Just tell them that you're working nights, and are extremely busy at work this week, and you're just really not in the mood as it's your only day off and you have other plans, but you'd be happy to accommodate them on date x next week instead. Except in the cases of emergencies (which this isn't), access has to be arranged at a mutually agreeable time, and it sounds like this isn't a good time for you. Don't muck around by suggesting a date months from now - be reasonable.

Ask them to confirm that the old agent can either pass along your ID/PPS details, or else has destroyed them. Ask the new agent how they intend to store that information, and what their retention policy is. When will personal information be destroyed, and who will have access to it while they're keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

By the way, you're under no obligation to sign a new fixed-term lease.
    You can inform the landlord that you're exercising your right to a Part 4 tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

we were told we would have a new lease drawn up and given to us to sign.
    I would be disinclined to sign a new lease - just tell them you want to continue on a Part 4 basis.
    Now they've told my housemate that they decided to give the house to another estate agent and that the new agent wants to come in and do an inventory of things belonging to the landlord, but we've already been there over a year so this will entail him coming in while we have to be there to tell him what's ours and what's not.
    Tell them the first hour is free, but that it will be €X per hour after that.
    He also wants to make copies of our IDs
    Tell them take a jump. They have no need for it.
    and take PPS numbers etc.
    Assuming the property is already PRTB registered, they don't need this. However, PPS isn't a mandatory part of the PRTB registration.
    I was thinking of just making a list of the things that are in the rooms we use (2 BRs, sitting room, kitchen, dining room) and give it to the agent with the copy of my ID when he comes and say 'I just did this up for you myself to save us both time'. Does that sound reasonable enough?
    Not unreasonable, but it doesn't account for the stuff in the attic.
    He's going to have to come in anyway to give us the new lease which is fine, but I don't think I should have to allow him into our bedrooms just to see that there is in fact a bed and chest of drawers there.
    Tidy your room. :) A condition inspection is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The other thing is that the house was never properly cleared out and there is still a lot of things from the previous occupant (the owner) that we had to put up in the attic to have space for our stuff.
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot; whatever is in the attic was probably in the attic when you moved in...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

An inventory, properly done, would also include the condition, in all rooms, of the flooring, walls ceilings, paintwork etc.

IMHO, much better to get this done now instead of having a dispute when you leave the property.

Obviously, a new inventory cannot state the condition of the furniture when you moved in a year ago, thus you would be starting afresh with the new inventory.

Advertisement