Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfairly Red Carded in AH

Options
  • 13-08-2013 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭

Greetings

I'm referring to my 2 posts (No's 4 & 42) in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057013732

Basic gist is, OP's son gets stabbed and she's in hospital with him.

My first post was just made in amazement that a person's son has been stabbed, they're in hospital and posting on boards in AH, i got jumped on by quite a few posters for this, but that's neither here nor there.

I received my red card when somebody said that the OP was just looking for reassurance, and i said that AH is definitely the place for that.

IMO that is an extremely harsh red card and i would like it rescinded please.

I have PM'd the mod but she said to go to DRP

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello scudzilla. Myself or one of the other c-mods will check into this for you shortly.

Hello scudzilla.

I've checked into this a bit more. Kicked it around with the other c-mods and we've come to a conclusion here.

In the first instance, your original post on that thread was, at best, a bit insensitive to the OP's situation.

In future I would ask that you pay a bit more heed as that was an unnecessary comment.

Now. Onto the infracted post (bearing in mind that your conduct on thread as a whole is central here, rather than the specific post)

We tend to take issue with folks saying "after hours isn't the place for this." or similar.

The problem with comments like that are that these are the comments, aside from general dickery, that make after hours not the place. Now, with that in mind, it's not really your place to say that after hours is or is not this that or the other.

At the end of the day it's a forum on the internet. Its users can make that a positive experience for those seeking help / assistance, or they can make it a negative one. This negative perception is not something I agree with. I don't think its fair to the community as a whole.

There is no prevailing rule here that says that AH is not the right place for threads / seeking replies of a certain type. Pointing this out does after hours a dis-service.

So. With that in mind, I think it's fair to say your behaviour in general on thread was less than exemplary and I would hope that this would be avoided in future.

Do you understand the logic now as to why you have been infracted for your behaviour on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thanks for the response but a few things i'd like to query

You say that you tend to take issue with folks saying "after hours isn't the place for this." or similar. This is not in the forum charter so it's not really set in stone, i can see, to a point, where you're coming from, but if you're setting a precedence here then shouldn't it be in the charter?

As for my first reply, you may class it as insensitive, but i was honestly astounded that someone had a life changing moment and were in hospital, and they're posting on boards.

For the insensitive post, as you call it, i was jumped on and slagged off by a few posts for it, but not once did i rise to the bait and start a war, hardly the actions of 'Being a dick'

As a boards member, why isn't it my place to say the AH is this or that, so long as i keep within the charter it'd be grand, if i go to AH now and post "AH is a great place" then i'm sure there wouldn't be an issue

I will try my best in future to be more considerate in what i post, but this time, i feel it was a very very borderline decision, leaning towards unfair, and as my question to rescind the infraction wasn't answered i'll ask again

scudzilla wrote: »
    Thanks for the response but a few things i'd like to query

You say that you tend to take issue with folks saying "after hours isn't the place for this." or similar. This is not in the forum charter so it's not really set in stone, i can see, to a point, where you're coming from, but if you're setting a precedence here then shouldn't it be in the charter?
    Lets not muddy the waters with precedent here. There was some behaviour on thread that was clear cut against the prevailing sitewide mantra of "don't be a dick."
    As for my first reply, you may class it as insensitive, but i was honestly astounded that someone had a life changing moment and were in hospital, and they're posting on boards.

For the insensitive post, as you call it, i was jumped on and slagged off by a few posts for it, but not once did i rise to the bait and start a war, hardly the actions of 'Being a dick'

I struggle to see how you can view your posts as "not once did I rise to the bait".

In that thread, you were the bait. You created the problems. You did not ignore them or rise above them.

I will try my best in future to be more considerate in what i post, but this time, i feel it was a very very borderline decision, leaning towards unfair, and as my question to rescind the infraction wasn't answered i'll ask again

In this case, having spoken to the moderator in question and checked through the posts in thread, I believe that your overall behaviour on thread deserved a card in this case.

Lets not muddy the waters with precedent here. There was some behaviour on thread that was clear cut against the prevailing sitewide mantra of "don't be a dick."

If you're saying that people shouldn't post things like "Well this is AH" then surely a precedent needs to be set and it should be put in the charter, alongside "Cool story bro" and such.

If the OP in that thread was so upset, why not post in Personal Issues? And the OP was surely experienced enough to realise that by posting in AH it was gonna open a large can of worms
    I struggle to see how you can view your posts as "not once did I rise to the bait".

In that thread, you were the bait. You created the problems. You did not ignore them or rise above them.

I created the problems?? I posted that i was astounded the OP was in Hospital after her son wa stabbed and was posting on boards/AH, IMO that is a perfectly fair opinion and not in any way abusive.

I DID ignore the responses to my post so please don't say otherwise and I DID rise above them, saying i created all the problems is just ridiculous

In this case, having spoken to the moderator in question and checked through the posts in thread, I believe that your overall behaviour on thread deserved a card in this case.

I'd like an admin review please, i think it was a very very harsh red card

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »

I'd like an admin review please, i think it was a very very harsh red card

Any updates on this please?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apologies for the delay, I just had a look through this thread.

I note that an AH mod previous to your final post warned posters to "move on from the fact the OP has posted on boards", clearly because this was detracting from the thread.

Despite this, you again referenced where the OP had posted. Accordingly I have no problem with the card issued here.

Thanks all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement