Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for .ie email

Options
  • 13-08-2013 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want an email ID which ends with .ie

I have searched several websites but the problem is that all of them are expensive (as compared to .com or .eu)
    The cheapest I found was €24.59/year on blackknight.com

do you know any website which provides cheaper .ie domain?

I just want an email adress for personal use. I dont want a website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Probably not what you want - but if any .ie will do - then you may have a free .ie email address with your internet providor (@UPCMail.ie etc).

Otherwise .ie is quite expensive compared to other domains - be careful also that the yearly price is fixed and not an offer for the first year only - its not always so clear.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Vodafone's email addresses end in @vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually want my own personal name instead of other companies like UPC or vodafone...
    ozmo wrote: »
    Probably not what you want - but if any .ie will do - then you may have a free .ie email address with your internet providor (@UPCMail.ie etc).

Otherwise .ie is quite expensive compared to other domains - be careful also that the yearly price is fixed and not an offer for the first year only - its not always so clear.
    RichT wrote: »
    Vodafone's email addresses end in @vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

OP, you could buy your own domain and hook it up to Zoho mail. I've done this myself (it's fairly easy), and afaik it's the only free option out there.

www.zoho.com/mail/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

It can be tricky enough to register .ie domains as the body that regulates it requires proof that you are entitled to the domain and they can be a bit fussy about registrations for personal use. For example you won't be able to register brendanmurphy.ie they would only let you register bm99.ie or similar, unless you're registering a business or organizational name. See here: https://register.ie/domain-name-help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 BillG

Hi,

I have searched several websites but the problem is that all of them are expensive (as compared to .com or .eu)

To be fair to the Irish registrar some of the expense is because they do actually check that you have at least some claim to the domain name whereas most others no attempt at verification at all. This leads to people mopping up likely domain names and onselling for a profit.

That said it is still to expensive for a .ie domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, go for that address for 25 euro/year. Just think about it as a 2 euro per month. It's a price of bar of chocolate or a bottle of fizzy drink. IMHO it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It can be tricky enough to register .ie domains as the body that regulates it requires proof that you are entitled to the domain and they can be a bit fussy about registrations for personal use. For example you won't be able to register brendanmurphy.ie they would only let you register bm99.ie or similar, unless you're registering a business or organizational name. See here: https://register.ie/domain-name-help

Thanks for that link!
    I have very mixed feelings about that regulation. I like the idea of protecting a domain name from people that just want to register it and later on sell with profit, but on the other side I couldn't have my current address if tha same regulations were used for .eu (I use .eu).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

BillG wrote: »
    To be fair to the Irish registrar

No matter how you spin it, the Irish domain registrar is a rip-off. But then, some people do pay for vanity plates... ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sorry but discussion of web hosting providers on boards is not allowed. For a list of Irish web hosts see here. (Email hosting is included with most providers, check before committing to purchase).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement