Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Name and .ie Domain Name

Options
  • 13-08-2013 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I've a business name registered with the CRO. Eventually I will probably set up a corresponding .ie domain. My question is, can anyone else register the domain name since I have the business name taken? Or does having the business name mean I have exclusive rights to the .ie domain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

It depends on the name in question.

You've no 'exclusive rights' to the name, but any other business trying to register the name would need to show (just as you will/would) how/why they should be given the name. In other words, if it's generic and related to a product (e.g. pizza.ie) then anyone in that line of business could claim it. If it's a very specific branding, someone else would have far more difficulty claiming it (though you're depending on the judgements of the IEDR, so none of us can ever predict what they would or wouldn't do).

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

I actually had the domain registered a few years ago just as placeholder. But I let it expire as I hadn't any plans to develop a website. I could order it now but it'll probably be another year before I get to set up a site. I'd like to wait til them to re-order my domain if I knew no one else would be able to take it on me. Also its not something I'd expect anyone to take but I dont want to risk it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Even if you were to give the name here in public people could only give you their opinion and best guess on if the IEDR would allow someone else to register it. Other than a super broad "If it's generic it's very possible someone else could take it, if it's very specific or branded it's unlikely they will" anything else we post is simply guesswork.

Decide how important the domain name is to you, figure out how likely it is someone else might/could register it, weight up the importance of the name and the cost of registering it now against the risk of someone else taking it.

If you feel it's worth the few quid to register it then do. If you feel it's an acceptable risk not registering it (flipping .ie sites isn't common, for good reason, so the risks of anyone else grabbing it are limited - unless your competition simply wish to stop you from having it in the future, in which case I'd imagine they'd already have grabbed it, so it does seem very low risk), then wait for the year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Bugatti wrote: »
    I actually had the domain registered a few years ago just as placeholder. But I let it expire as I hadn't any plans to develop a website. I could order it now but it'll probably be another year before I get to set up a site. I'd like to wait til them to re-order my domain if I knew no one else would be able to take it on me. Also its not something I'd expect anyone to take but I dont want to risk it either.

It's €20. If the domain name is important to you, register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As previously stated - you don't have exclusive rights to a string / domain name with a business name registration. Even less so if the business in question isn't trading ..

How likely is it that someone else would register the domain?
    - there's no "easy" answer to that, but if the business name is "unique" / "unusual" then it's less likely ..

If you're worried about it then just register the domain name now - it's a lot cheaper registering a domain and not using it than trying to deal with a dispute if someone else were to grab it

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice guys. I really cant imagine anyone else registering the domain but as Graham said, for the sake of 20eur I dont think I'll take the risk.

Also one more thing for the guys at Blacknight since I have them here! If I already have a domain registered then is it possible to change that domain name? (for example if someone wanted to change boards.ie to theboards.ie). Or would you just have to register a completely new domain?

Also one more thing for the guys at Blacknight since I have them here! If I already have a domain registered then is it possible to change that domain name? (for example if someone wanted to change boards.ie to theboards.ie). Or would you just have to register a completely new domain?
    You'd have to register a new domain - you can't "change" one that's already registered

Blacknight wrote: »
    You'd have to register a new domain - you can't "change" one that's already registered

I thought not but I said I'd check anyways! I'll probably be on to ye guys during the week to book my other domain!

I thought not but I said I'd check anyways! I'll probably be on to ye guys during the week to book my other domain!

Well the website's there 24/7/365 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ironroadie

Tried to register an I.E. domain name and found out I need to register the business first. Where do I go in Dublin to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

It's probably best to ask your accountant what type of business you're setting up first (sole trader, ltd company etc) & he/she can do it for you.

But, having said that, your details will be registered with the Company Registration Office in Parnell Square.
    http://www.cro.ie/ena/contact-us.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ironroadie

thanks blue4ever

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Before you go registering a business what is the domain name going to be used for?

It is possible to apply for a discretionary .ie domain name for certain categories of websites, e.g. personal / hobby sites.

Advertisement