Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Airlines - Worst Airline in the World

Options
  • 13-08-2013 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

As per the name, I am furious with this airline. They seriously make Ryanair (who I have btw nothing against) kings of customer service. Last year I had a terrible flight from Chicago to Dublin. To cut a long story short, the air hostesses were ignorant and rude, taking food trays without asking, being rude with the service etc.

I received $400 for the experience in a transportation voucher. I rung up and was told to make a reservation and call back afterwards to use the voucher. I made a booking to go to Houston in October. I rung up saying that I wanted to use the voucher and I was told I could not because the booking was made.

American Airlines won't (of course) give me a copy of the phone call. Their emails are pretentious and patronizing at the very best. They refuse to help saying that they can give me another voucher (putting put oil on the fire) Now I have to go to my credit card company. It is deeply deeply annoying.

A simple common sense situation where somebody has the brains to take $400 off my credit card would have solved this problem. I don't know if anybody else has had this problem but it is deeply deeply infuriating. I really don't feel like flying with them in October. No wonder they were filing for insolvancy in the US last year. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wow, I wish I was given a $400 voucher for my trouble every time I didn't like how a member of staff in a company treated me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The flight was 'last year' which means it was over 8 months ago, why did you wait until now to register as a new user on boards and post your rant?

If you get a voucher to spend on future flights, it's nonsense to suggest that you book the flight first and then contact them, that would involve them giving you credit for the flight on your credit card which is the same as them giving you cash, I don't believe you were told to do things in that order.

You expect them to be able to give you a copy of the phone call? You sound like the type of customer that every service company dreads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 American Airlines Sucks

You sound like a customer who will suck up and take whatever crap a company gives them even if there is really dire service around. No wonder customer service is at a all time low with people like you accepting any type of ****ty service that you get.

It is actually quite simple. I booked the new flight in the last few weeks and for your information I have a year to use the voucher. If you have a problem with that then that is your problem. Sorry I did not make it 10 months ago to satisfy you

It is my right to receive information regarding a phone call as I was told I could make the reservation and then use the voucher. Therefore I was misled. Since you were not party to the conversation you can't comment. Why can't it be used as a credit on my credit card??????

As regards the voucher itself, they gave it and therefore it is to be used. I had a grievance and they gave me a voucher. Now I know exactly why customer service is crap in this country with attitudes like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** OP. I am sorry you had a bad experience with AA but there is no need for your language nor attacking other posters. *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

You sound like a customer who will suck up and take whatever crap a company gives them even if there is really dire service around. No wonder customer service is at a all time low with people like you accepting any type of ****ty service that you get.

It is actually quite simple. I booked the new flight in the last few weeks and for your information I have a year to use the voucher. If you have a problem with that then that is your problem. Sorry I did not make it 10 months ago to satisfy you

It is my right to receive information regarding a phone call as I was told I could make the reservation and then use the voucher. Therefore I was misled. Since you were not party to the conversation you can't comment. Why can't it be used as a credit on my credit card??????

As regards the voucher itself, they gave it and therefore it is to be used. I had a grievance and they gave me a voucher. Now I know exactly why customer service is crap in this country with attitudes like this.

You don't sound like a reasonable person from the tone of your posts. I'd imagine you frequently encounter people in the area of service provision who you consider 'rude', but just imagine what they are saying about you behind your back.
    How long does it usually take for you to start ranting at a customer serivce rep on average would you say?
    2 minutes?
    Less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

When you use a voucher, the company writes off the cost of the seat (much less than the $400 value of the voucher)

By crediting your card, it costs them more money than writing off the cost of the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

To cut a long story short, the air hostesses were ignorant and rude, taking food trays without asking, being rude with the service etc.

I received $400 for the experience in a transportation voucher.
    They would be far from my favourite airline but their customer service seems remarkably good if they gave you $400 for being on the receiving end of some rude treatment.

Was your story an attempt to shine them in a positive light, OP? If so, it seems to have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I have always gotten some kind of compensation for bad service/inconveniences caused in some form or another, mainly AA bonus miles which is fine. Sorry, it looks like you are having a hard time or were misinformed. $400 is very generous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 American Airlines Sucks

You don't sound like a reasonable person from the tone of your posts. I'd imagine you frequently encounter people in the area of service provision who you consider 'rude', but just imagine what they are saying about you behind your back.
    How long does it usually take for you to start ranting at a customer serivce rep on average would you say?
    2 minutes?
    Less?

Sorry to the mod for abusive language. It was not meant. Apologies first of all. There were a few good comment there but I made a big mistake posting on boards. My friends were right. People are usually here with far too much time on their hands. Frank Black, if you know me fair enough but you don't so therefore keep your comments to yourself otherwise pm me. I would say you are not a shining light in armour yourself. I have not made a complaint about anything else yourself.

Howinever I know as a non-national (Canadian) why this country is such in the trouble that it is in. Thankfully I will be going back in October. Yes btw the Canadian ecomomy is successful.

The Irish complain a lot but don't do anything but change what is wrong here and therefore accept whatever the banks and the Troika put up to them. This comes very thru in this post here. I went out and complained and AA gave something towards the next flight. Btw it will be used on a friends flight so all is not lost!

I will leave the post here as it obviously has not served a purpose except give bored people a chance to air their waste of time comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

I would say you are not a shining light in armour yourself.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

post a rant about an airline.......

get various replies......

post a rant about how terrible ireland is and insult the forum itself.......

summary......mods can't close this thread soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I will leave the post here as it obviously has not served a purpose except give bored people a chance to air their waste of time comments.

That's pretty ironic comment seeing as it is coming from a someone who registered for an account with boards for no other reason than to start this thread, to air their own comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**aaaand with this this thread is closed. Thank you for playing. ******

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement