Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Career, help!!

Options
  • 13-08-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi!i'm currently working as a theatre nurse.I qualified 3 years ago but would love to do something different.at one stage I was thinking of doing primary teaching but thought it would be very difficult to get a job once qualified.I really don't know where to begin on what area to go into I was thinking of maybe working in a lab or maybe even something with baking as I love it.but no idea where to begin or what to do.would be grateful of any suggestions?thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Paws1986 wrote: »
    I really don't know where to begin on what area to go into I was thinking of maybe working in a lab or maybe even something with baking as I love it.but no idea where to begin or what to do.would be grateful of any suggestions?thanks!
    It's difficult to provide advice without narrowing down the possibilities a bit - there's a big difference between working in a lab and working as a baker!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Paws1986 wrote: »
    Hi!i'm currently working as a theatre nurse.I qualified 3 years ago but would love to do something different.at one stage I was thinking of doing primary teaching but thought it would be very difficult to get a job once qualified.I really don't know where to begin on what area to go into I was thinking of maybe working in a lab or maybe even something with baking as I love it.but no idea where to begin or what to do.would be grateful of any suggestions?thanks!

Hi Paws1986,
    What kind of area of work would you like to do in a lab? My sister is a bio-medical scientist and works in a lab in one of the regional hospitals so if you have any questions with the lab work I can run them by her. She was in college for 8 years! She did a the four year degree, post grad for two years, one years work placement in a medical lab and then a masters full time for two years. There might be some options for you to train a lab technician if it was an area you were interested in.

Regarding doing something with baking, having worked in kitchens the only real jobs in that end would be working as a pastry chef, you have to train as a chef first then specialize but some kitchens will just put you on starters or what ever section is free that they need someone on and it is hard trying to get in the door and specializing can take years. The work is hard going and the hours are long (60-70 hours!) and getting a salary for 40 hours! Working in bakeries in Ireland wouldn't be great as a lot bakeries are gone into mass production and there isn't many small bakeries where everything is hand-made anymore! I had actually looked at going down the baking route when in college but was told that if I really want to follow it up I'd need to go to the likes of France for proper experience working in a real bakery etc but coming back for a job over here would be very hard to find!

Would something in food science be of any interest? With food science you could do Food product development.

(Don't know how helpful that post was but thought I'd put it up for you!)

Mugatuu

Advertisement