Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuts 'n' bolts

• 13-08-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My Mille is generally a pretty clean, straight bike but one of the things that ages it is the condition of the fasteners around the bike. A lot are stainless but there are quite a lot of then that aren't and most are pitted and scabby looking and pretty much all over the bike. I'm reluctant to paint them as I'm pretty sure they'll just become scabbier over time but I'm wondering if there are other options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

can be replaced with stainless ones (pro bolt etc.. $$$$$), or could look into getting the existing one bright nickel electroplated. I was tempted to get a kit off ebay to do some diy plating, sounded relatively simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Personally I'm not a fan of stainless fasteners they aren't usually very strong and can make sh1te of threads if they are in anyway galled.
    I'd much prefer to electroplate the old ones.
    There are a couple of companies selling DIY plating gear, Gateros and Caswell Europe are two that I know about.
    The advantage is that the bolts can be plated in anything you choose, bright nickel doesn't suit all bikes a lot of bikes had olive chromate finished fasteners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, quite liked the sound of it too. The various finishes you could get with very minor changes in the electrolyte solution was a definite plus. And that you could do loadsa stuff (axle castle nuts for example, which are crazy money to buy in a nice finish, and impossible to buff up manually due to their shape) - only really limited by the size of the bath

had read that the electroplating process can weaken the metal however, and that probably not recommended for anything high stress - caliper bolts etc. Any thoughts CJ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wossack wrote: »
    yea, quite liked the sound of it too. The various finishes you could get with very minor changes in the electrolyte solution was a definite plus. And that you could do loadsa stuff (axle castle nuts for example, which are crazy money to buy in a nice finish, and impossible to buff up manually due to their shape) - only really limited by the size of the bath

had read that the electroplating process can weaken the metal however, and that probably not recommended for anything high stress - caliper bolts etc. Any thoughts CJ?
    Caliper bolts I buy OEM new anyway, I can't bring myself to trust anyone elses torque values.
    For the small extra cost its peace of mind.
    There is some cool finishes like black nickel etc that look awesome on the right bike/finish.
    I really don't like too much bling on bikes myself, its a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its like the rim tape on wheels some people love it some people hate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement