Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College mistake costing me 4000!

• 13-08-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi

I am currently 2 weeks away from finishing my 1 year masters and I received a letter from my college yesterday saying my fees are not being paid by SUSI.

When I started the masters I was unsure if my fees would be paid by SUSI, then in Oct I received a letter saying they would not be paying so I sent a cheque for 2000 into the college to pay fees but they sent it back saying my fees had been paid in full so I rang the college and they said SUSI had paid my fees in full so I said again that I had received a rejection letter from them but they said that SUSI had now paid it so not to worry.

So that was back in October and I have now no savings to pay these fees as I had not planned to and the college are saying they know its their mistake but I still have to pay!

Should I get a solicitor involved? Or is there any point? I will not be able to pay now, I had planned on setting up a business after I had finished this college year, using this masters, and I will have to leave it now after wasting a full year of my life on it! I cannot believe this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi

I am currently 2 weeks away from finishing my 1 year masters and I received a letter from my college yesterday saying my fees are not being paid by SUSI.

When I started the masters I was unsure if my fees would be paid by SUSI, then in Oct I received a letter saying they would not be paying so I sent a cheque for 2000 into the college to pay fees but they sent it back saying my fees had been paid in full so I rang the college and they said SUSI had paid my fees in full so I said again that I had received a rejection letter from them but they said that SUSI had now paid it so not to worry.

So that was back in October and I have now no savings to pay these fees as I had not planned to and the college are saying they know its their mistake but I still have to pay!

Should I get a solicitor involved? Or is there any point? I will not be able to pay now, I had planned on setting up a business after I had finished this college year, using this masters, and I will have to leave it now after wasting a full year of my life on it! I cannot believe this.

Have you explored the option of a student loan from a bank to see you help you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Katie Kaboom

No, not yet, just found this info out about an hour ago so just wanting to see if I should contact a solicitor or does anyone think there's any point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Legal advice isn't actually given out on this forum.
    And do you really want to be in a legal battle with a college when you need to go back there next year ?

This is a 1 year masters and I finish in 2 weeks so that would not be an issue and I'm not really looking for legal advice as such just asking what would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Unfortunately the course fee has not been paid, so, yes, you still have to pay it. However, from a human point of view the college should make an accomodation to allow you pay it over time, to recompense for their error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Most SU's have a relationship with a solicitor, who will usually look at student issues free, and advise on possible legal action. Best bet is to contact SU office and see if they can help.

infosys wrote: »
    Most SU's have a relationship with a solicitor, who will usually look at student issues free, and advise on possible legal action. Best bet is to contact SU office and see if they can help.

Great thank you, I will go into student union ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

There was a case mentioned on Pat Kenny about 2 weeks ago which sounds extremely similar to yours.

In that case, a Masters student had initially been told the €4k was going to be covered by SUSI, and at the end of the year, SUSI got in touch and said "Oops! actually... you owe us that €4k please.

Student was getting nowhere with SUSI until publicity was drawn to the case.

After the publicity, which SUSI would argue was co-incidental, SUSI told this student (who also paid €4k) to forget about the bill.

I suggest you seek legal advice, and as others have said the SU is a great place to start.

There was a case mentioned on Pat Kenny about 2 weeks ago which sounds extremely similar to yours.

In that case, a Masters student had initially been told the €4k was going to be covered by SUSI, and at the end of the year, SUSI got in touch and said "Oops! actually... you owe us that €4k please.

Student was getting nowhere with SUSI until publicity was drawn to the case.

After the publicity, which SUSI would argue was co-incidental, SUSI told this student (who also paid €4k) to forget about the bill.

I suggest you seek legal advice, and as others have said the SU is a great place to start.

That's interesting, although my trouble is with the college they have acknowledged that it is their fault and not SUSI, which I need to get in writing. I'm hoping the student union will be able to help me now. But if I could draw publicity to it I would! I just can't believe they are telling me this now! I'm still in shock I think, I'm swinging between telling myself to "just focus on these last 2 weeks" and "just don't waste my energy on it" because I may never receive a qualification after all my hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

Definitely do the work. I know it is hard, but there is no sense in not finishing - what if it gets resolved, eventually, but they get you on a technicality that you didn't complete the coursework? Or they might consider helping you somehow as a gesture of goodwill (not that it'd be out of kindness) but then question your merit etc.
    It might take a lot of wrangling but it should get resolved eventually, so make sure you do your part as you have so far and remain untouchable.

• Advertisement

lfqnic wrote: »
    Definitely do the work. I know it is hard, but there is no sense in not finishing - what if it gets resolved, eventually, but they get you on a technicality that you didn't complete the coursework? Or they might consider helping you somehow as a gesture of goodwill (not that it'd be out of kindness) but then question your merit etc.
    It might take a lot of wrangling but it should get resolved eventually, so make sure you do your part as you have so far and remain untouchable.

I know ya, you're right, I will finish it, I'm just pissed off right now, I really want to finish it now anyways after everything. I just need to forget about it now for 2 weeks and get on with it but I just know it's going to be niggling at me everyday until it's done. Thanks though.

I've contacted the SU as well and they can't believe it, they're getting onto the fees office for me now to see what they can do so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

I will finish it, I'm just pissed off right now... I just know it's going to be niggling at me everyday until it's done. Thanks though.

I've contacted the SU as well and they can't believe it, they're getting onto the fees office for me now to see what they can do so fingers crossed.

Totally understandable! They've put you in a horrible position, total nightmare. I'm sure the SU will be raring to help, especially if they're new sabats hungry for a fight and without much to do. Let us know how you get on! Ádh mór :)

lfqnic wrote: »
    Totally understandable! They've put you in a horrible position, total nightmare. I'm sure the SU will be raring to help, especially if they're new sabats hungry for a fight and without much to do. Let us know how you get on! Ádh mór :)

Thanks, will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

There may be a legal remedy based around legitimate expectation. Certainly worth seeking legal advice as the others have said.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    There may be a legal remedy based around legitimate expectation. Certainly worth seeking legal advice as the others have said.

Thanks for that, will check it out. The student Union were very helpful and sympathetic today and they are getting on to the fees office for me and my TD is seeing what he can do too. I will let them know about legitimate expectation, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the college sent you a letter in Oct saying your fees had been paid in full, then unless there was a large E&OE on that letter, then you have the colleges word it's been paid. If they f'd up, it's their problem. but seek whatever legal advice you can. and finish your side of the bargain.

If the college sent you a letter in Oct saying your fees had been paid in full, then unless there was a large E&OE on that letter, then you have the colleges word it's been paid. If they f'd up, it's their problem. but seek whatever legal advice you can. and finish your side of the bargain.

What's " E&OE"?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G3467

What's " E&OE"?

Errors and Omissions Excepted

Advertisement