Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog digging area

• 13-08-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Our puppy has started to dig in the garden. It's typical of her breed so I knew it would happen. So I'd like to make a digging area for her. Has anyone done this and have advice to offer?
    I was thinking of making a slightly raised area and filling it in. I don't want the cat to do her business in it though! What would I fill it with, sand and earth? She likes biting and pulling at the grass too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jazbee wrote: »
    Our puppy has started to dig in the garden. It's typical of her breed so I knew it would happen. So I'd like to make a digging area for her. Has anyone done this and have advice to offer?
    I was thinking of making a slightly raised area and filling it in. I don't want the cat to do her business in it though! What would I fill it with, sand and earth? She likes biting and pulling at the grass too.

Have you thought about buying a cheap sand pit for kids with a lid? Hide the puppies toys in here... she will love it...

Spray the area with a cat repellant etc... or when the cats around put the lid back on...

to be honest I have a cocker and even though he's 8.5 now given half the oppertunity he would still dig the entire garden :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I brought a cheap sandpit andfilled it with dirt for Cooper to dig in, which he does. However don't make the mistake i did and fill it with dirt and then not cover it with a lid when it rains...i swear i am still cleaning up mud! Either use sand or be diligent about putting a lid on it.

I find Cooper at the moment only really digs when the ground is soft after rain. We are moving house next month and i am going to make him a proper digging pit and fill it with sand for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Thanks guys...feel like a right eejit..only yesterday I gave away the kids sandpit!! Never thought of using it for the dog! Will keep an eye out for a cheap wooden one.
    Thanks for the tip re dirt, was thinking of a frame so it wouldn't become water logged, but sand would be cleaner! ( gave a bag of that away too!!)

Sand would be a whole lot cleaner...otherwise you run the risk of this...

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/meldives/media/IMG_0308_zpsd293a360.jpg.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

mel.b wrote: »

OMG, the cuteness of that!!!

You should warn people before opening!!! That made my heart smile today :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

mel.b wrote: »

Oh dear god! Haha! I'd say doggy had a great time though!
    My little lady has dug holes in our gravel path and ripped up some grass, I'll look into a sand pit pronto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jazbee wrote: »
    Oh dear god! Haha! I'd say doggy had a great time though!
    My little lady has dug holes in our gravel path and ripped up some grass, I'll look into a sand pit pronto!

The greatest thing about Mel.b's post above, is that she videotaped the aftermath!!! I'm still laughing... Sorry!

Regarding the current digging in places - please excuse this, but - my auld fella told me to bury our dogs 'poo' in any hole dug... To prevent him digging there. This coupled with a sprinkle of pepper on top, meant that area was never dug twice.

And yes, I realise how odd that sounds. And I'm now being judged... Lol... But it worked.

LOL, thanks hooked...you're only still laughing 'cos you're not the one who had to clean it up!

Yes, i have heard that about putting their poo in the hole. I haven't done it yet as i'm still in my rented place and i'd rather Cooper make any holes he has already dug deeper, rather than digging more holes for me to fill in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

A bit of a theme developing - those darn sibes.

SP_A0008_zps2497d231.jpg

Oh that's classic!

Cooper's a Mal though :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement