Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Trips From Auckland

Options
  • 13-08-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend have just moved to central Auckland on a working holiday visa. We really want to make the most of our time here by doing as much travelling in our spare time on the weekend etc, so just wondering if anyone has any ideas for day trips (or longer weekend trips) from Auckland? We'd be renting a car as parking rates are a bit steep for us to consider buying one!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I enjoyed snorkelling at Goat Island in Leigh which isn't too far from Auckland.

The Bream Head walk in Whangarei was very good too

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/northland/whangarei-area/bream-head-te-whara-track/

If you're into diving then the Poor Knight Islands are meant to be excellent and are also in Whangarei.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Piha Beach.

Further afield the Coromandel is lovely and Tauranga worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Thanks guys going to give these a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Waiheike Island is lovely. You can get the ferry from town and there's good public transport on the island.

You can also get a ferry to Coromandel town. New Chums beach is one of the best in the world. The Driving Creek railway is worth a look too.

The Kauri forest and Hokianga Harbour up north for camping, walks, and on to 90mile beach if you have time.

Raglan if you're into surfing and hanging out.

Waitomo Caves are doable too.

If you're crazily into LotR the Hobbiton tour from MataMata, but it's pricey, we never bothered.

Boating on the Bay of Islands.

There's heaps to see and do in Auckland too.

Advertisement