Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Lock button

• 13-08-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

The lock button on my iPhone 5 doesn't work anymore. I have to use the accessibility button to lock it and can't run the risk of it turning off. I don't have apple care so they'll charge me a fortune. Does anyone know anywhere in Galway city that might be able to fix this and would they know how much. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

If the phone is less than a year old apple should be able to replace it free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

davo2001 wrote: »
    If the phone is less than a year old apple should be able to replace it free of charge.

Really? I thought I was only covered by Apple Care. Ah if I'd have known that I would've phone already. Cheers and ill call them an see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yeah, its still covered by a 1 year warranty eitherway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Just got off the phone there. Had 44 days left on it. Getting it fixed now anyways. Cheers for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

AndyKiely wrote: »
    Really? I thought I was only covered by Apple Care. Ah if I'd have known that I would've phone already. Cheers and ill call them an see.

Did you really think apple charge you for a warranty?? They might have a lot of loyal fanboys who will pay whatever but a warranty is standard! Probably a legal requirement in the EU too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

OP sorted, this is probably more suited to "apple devices" now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

AndyKiely wrote: »
    The lock button on my iPhone 5 doesn't work anymore. I have to use the accessibility button to lock it and can't run the risk of it turning off. I don't have apple care so they'll charge me a fortune. Does anyone know anywhere in Galway city that might be able to fix this and would they know how much. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Just a heads up every electronic device sold within the EU has a 2 year warranty

which includes iPhone and Apple products in general. It is buried somewhere in

there T&C. But they don't advertise this as this would effect Apple care sales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just to be clear, all Apple products are sold with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. This is a voluntary warranty. As the manufacturer, they are under no obligation to you once this warranty is up. The so-called EU statutory warranty is a separate thing. It's with the seller of the product (which may also be Apple in many cases), not the manufacturer, and in Ireland you are covered for more than 2 years potentially.

Crucially, unlike a manufacturer's warranty or an extended warranty like AppleCare, the EU warranty only covers defects that were present when purchased and the burden of proof is on you. This is basically another way saying the seller doesn't have to help you and you'll probably have to make a claim via the small claims court to get them to comply.

While I generally don't bother with AppleCare myself, it's a far quicker and more convenient way of getting an out-of-warranty device repaired, especially if you didn't it buy it from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apple are good at replacing this kind of thing. Had my iPhone 5 swapped for a new one at the Genius Bar last week in Belfast for a dust spot on the rear camera sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

My lock/sleep button is broke too on iPhone 5.Appointment booked with apple Belfast on Friday couldn't be with out it for a week sending it off so I'm taking the trip up.Great service I used it before no hassle just swapped out for a brand new iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Instead of sending it off or driving to Belfast you can opt for advance replacement service (call apple, not available online). It's free with apple care or €29 if you don't have it (cheaper than driving to Belfast for me). They send you a replacement phone before you return yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

flyguy wrote: »
    Instead of sending it off or driving to Belfast you can opt for advance replacement service (call apple, not available online). It's free with apple care or €29 if you don't have it (cheaper than driving to Belfast for me). They send you a replacement phone before you return yours.

And also place a hold of 500/600 on a card until they get te phone back. A lot of people forget seem to forget that cos it's rarely mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

My Lock button is only partially working. It seems to be a common problem with the iphone 5.

I am running the ios7 beta. Will they support me as I am running software not yet officially released ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you think it's an issue with the hardware (button) or some issue with software? You can bring it the place of purchase and let them have a look.
    Backup everything first in case they decide to swap the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just to be clear, all Apple products are sold with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. This is a voluntary warranty. As the manufacturer, they are under no obligation to you once this warranty is up. The so-called EU statutory warranty is a separate thing. It's with the seller of the product (which may also be Apple in many cases), not the manufacturer, and in Ireland you are covered for more than 2 years potentially.

Crucially, unlike a manufacturer's warranty or an extended warranty like AppleCare, the EU warranty only covers defects that were present when purchased and the burden of proof is on you. This is basically another way saying the seller doesn't have to help you and you'll probably have to make a claim via the small claims court to get them to comply.

While I generally don't bother with AppleCare myself, it's a far quicker and more convenient way of getting an out-of-warranty device repaired, especially if you didn't it buy it from Apple.

What's not commonly know is the fault must have shown itself within the first 6mts of purchase.
    So if you go to a retailer in month 14 with a new problem such as the lock button there under no obligation to help you. Your warranty is up.

Just for the record my lock button is unbelievable stiff since new, it feels like I'm gonna a break it every time I use it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    My Lock button is only partially working. It seems to be a common problem with the iphone 5.

I am running the ios7 beta. Will they support me as I am running software not yet officially released ?

Just restore the phone before bringing it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

guil wrote: »
    And also place a hold of 500/600 on a card until they get te phone back. A lot of people forget seem to forget that cos it's rarely mentioned

€789 in my case actually. They credit it back though so it doesnt cost you anything, only a problem if you're near/on your limit or don't have a credit card (in case of debit card they actually take the full amount and credit it back).

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Can you not just put iOS 6 back on it? Also when you send your phone in you're advised to "erase all contents and settings" I doubt they even check what iOS it's running.
    Unless you bought it from an apple store I would never bring it back to the retailer. The retailer will most likely use their own repair centre which is unlikely apple approved and will generally try to blame the costumer so they can charge you. It is also likely to take a lot longer.
    Just deal with apple directly they'll swap it for a new (refurbished) one and are quick to deal with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's not commonly know is the fault must have shown itself within the first 6mts of purchase.
    So if you go to a retailer in month 14 with a new problem such as the lock button there under no obligation to help you. Your warranty is up.
    The fault can show itself after 6 months, but at that point the burden to prove that it existed at purchase shifts to you and the retailer isn't obliged to help you establish what the problem is. But within the first year you are usually better off dealing with the manufacturer anyway, so I don't see this as a big issue.

This burden of proof does render the EU statutory warranty kind useless, though. Having to threaten a retailer with a small claims court isn't most people's idea of a warranty. The best thing that's come of it is that it's put pressure on manufacturers to offer longer warranties in Europe, which may well have been the goal all along. This is where Ireland's decision to not bother clarifying the time frame was a mistake IMO.

Advertisement