Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island, Tourist Destination?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

A recent planning application for works of Lambay Island, has provoked some controversy within the Baring Family

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/family-at-odds-over-future-of-lambay-island-1.1488711
    A row has broken out among the extended Baring family over plans to upgrade Lambay Castle and other buildings – designed or remodelled by renowned English architect Sir Edwin Lutyens – on Lambay Island off the Co Dublin coast.
    The Lambay Estate Company – effectively controlled by Alex Baring, the 7th Baron Revelstoke – has sought planning permission to upgrade the castle and several outbuildings “to restore, as far as practical, the original pattern of usage”.
    But one of Lord Revelstoke’s cousins, Beatrice Kelly, and her husband Niall McManus have objected to the scheme, claiming that it was for “commercial rather than family use” of the complex of buildings on the island, which has hitherto been kept private.

The Planning Application was lodged on 8th July, with Fingal Co Co

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F13A/0253&theTabNo=8

Permission for works to Protected Structure and within the curtilage of Protected Structures Lambay Island, Rush, co. Dublin. Lambay Island or parts thereof form part of, or are adjacent to, a Nature 2000 site, a Special Area of Conservation, a Special Protection Area, a proposed Marine Special Area of Conservation and a proposed Natural Heritage Area. The development will consist of: 1. Alterations to the Castle, a National Monument, and to the linked Guest Wing including installation of upgraded central heating, plumbing and electrical systems; in the Castle, conversion of a sluice room to a shower room, construction of a toilet extension, modifications to fixtures and fittings in two bedrooms and in a toilet; in the Guest Wing, conversion of three bedrooms to bathrooms, works to fixtures and fittings in the kitchen, scullery, bedrooms and utility rooms. 2. Internal layout alterations to the Whitehouse building including the provision of additional internal; bathrooms in both east and west wings, upgrading of the existing bathrooms at ground and first floor in the central wing, alterations to the layouts of the three existing kitchens and installation of upgraded central heating, plumbing and electrical systems. 3. Internal layout alterations to the existing Bothy building including construction of upgraded toilet, bathroom and kitchen facilities. 4. Internal layout alterations and a bathroom extension to the rear of Coastguard Cottage No. 6 and internal layout modifications to Coastguard Cottages Nos. 1 and 2. 5. Remedial and reinstatement works to the existing Real Tennis Court. 6. Conversion of existing barn and livestock accommodation within the Farmyard complex to accommodate an energy centre accommodating fuel storage, boilers, electrical plant and generators. 7. Alterations to and extensions to Mason's Cottage including demolition of an existing extension and provision of a photovoltaic installation adjacent to the cottage. 8. Demolition of, reconstruction of and layout alterations to Walton's Cottage including provision of a photovoltaic installation adjacent to the cottage. 9. Works to the services and utilities infrastructure on the island including replacement of the existing wind turbine and associated underground cabling, construction of solar and photovoltaic panel arrays in the liex field immediately to the east of the proposed farmyard energy centre, upgrading and extension of the sewer network to include the installation of sewage treatment plants adjacent to the Whitehouse and to the Bothy, installation of a septic tank serving Mason's Cottage and Walton's Cottage, installation of underground heating and service mains linking the proposed energy centre with the Castle, Guest Wing and Whitehouse, provision of an upgraded water supply system to include a new reservoir in Little Mason's Field and a water treatment plant adjoining the existing reservoir. 10. Planting of a 0.5 hectare area of a field to the south east of the Castle complex to provide biomass fuel for the energy centre. A Natura Impact Statement has been prepared in respect of the proposed works and is included with this application.

So what do you think, will the Island be developed for Tourism/Commerce

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Surely it's entirely up to the owners of the property what it's used for? The entire island is privately owned. If they see tourism as a means of increasing revenue to run their estate, then that makes sense. I wonder how much the cousins contribute to the upkeep of the island?

Anyway OP, why not tell us what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Surely it's entirely up to the owners of the property what it's used for? The entire island is privately owned. If they see tourism as a means of increasing revenue to run their estate, then that makes sense. I wonder how much the cousins contribute to the upkeep of the island?

Well having visited the Island Many Years ago, I would love to see it opened up to Tourism.
    The wildlife, including the Walabies, I am sure would be a draw, to those who appreciate it.

While its a working Island at the moment, and not welcoming of visitors, It will mean a big change for the residents, which probably accounts for conflict among the Barings
    i.e Those who pay for the upkeep, and those who enjoy the tranquility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

To be honest, My OH and me would *love* to go out there. It's something we've said to eachother many times but like that, never thought it was possible.

I think for nature lovers it certainly would be a good visit - it has a bird colony as well, including puffins!

Maybe a few yearly events, limited in numbers, could make a nice compromise between keeping it tranquil/protected but at the same time generating some tourist income?

My view on the planning though is that it seems to be becoming a nasty family war that's being fought out in the public eye which cannot be good. Something odd there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Who actually lives on it at the moment?
    Not the family fighting the planning if I recall the article correctly?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Skerries sea tours http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/galleries.html do trips out to Lambay and as far as I know they have also done walk arounds. I think it would be a great tourist attraction and also good for local business. I believe they also have their own harbour in Rush so I would be easy enough for them to set up a little money earner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Tabnabs wrote: »

A Mrs Kelly ran the Island for many years after the present owners grandfather died, she was his niece so I presume its the same Kelly side of the family. AFAIK Mrs Kelly ran the island farm as an organic farm, anyone interested could get a job helping out on the farm during the summer. The island also maintained the family tradition of welcoming research parties from the various educational institutions as well as the extensive family members. And if you had a connection with the island or just interested you could write to the Mrs Kelly to ask for permission to visit.

Her cousins who inherited didn't really seem to take an interest in the island, the elder John lived in Kenya and died without issue and his brother James was more interested in flying, the early internet and conspiracy theories. It's James son that is changing the business model of the island. You only have to watch any of the big house tv shows to see how much money country estates cost to run and the hesitation of family members to let in the public. They want the public's money but don't want them walking around in full view.
    The family are scion's of the Baring's Banking family and that is no more since Nick Leeson and while the last Lord had several business ventures I never actually read anything to confirm if they were successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I think it would be great if it was opened up to tourism in a controlled way. I would love to visit it, but it's important that the island and it's wildlife is maintained. I presume they are trying to generate revenue from this. Not a bad thing as long as it goes towards maintaining the island and its buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I've always wanted to visit Lambay. Regardless of whether or not it's to become a tourist destination, a formal research station or an exclusive millionaire's retreat I can see why they need to upgrade the facilities. According to the planning documents, there is apparently only 1 working toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think the Island should be open full stop.

A lot of the stuff in the planning are basics and what most of us take for granted. All outdoor work can be easily masked and the indoor works are probably essential for the Island to survive.

I think the people now running the Island are trying to make it pay its way and I would have no problem with that. It would be a superb exclusive luxury weekend destination. Nature walks, bird watching, fishing, painting topped off each evening with fine food and wine. I have seen a number of helicopters land out there over the last year so access would not be a huge problem. The cost of visiting the island would be prohibitive for quite a few and if that challenge can be sorted to make it affordable to ordinary everyday folk it could be a great success.

I think small buildings for accommodation 1 bedroom/kitchen/dining or log cabin can be easily integrated to the landscape without compromising the integrity of what is already there and listed. There is a lot of woodland around the castle which masks it from most angles and I have no doubt this could be developed further. This can be seen in some of the images on Skerries sea tours.

I saw Matthew Jebb (Botanical Gardens) head out there last Sunday week as he is doing a study of plants on the island. A number of artists have also spent time there with local artist Paul Kelly doing some excellent works on the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Could the state not buy it for a million and turn it into a prison :eek: Serious.

Give the scumbags who cause so much harm to society a tent and a fishing rod with a weekly visit from their loving relations. We could drop o the odd food parcel if we got soft.

Would cost a lot less than the Thornton Hall proposal and a lot cheaper to run than Mountjoy. Might make one or 2 of them think before they rob / murder / rape / assault, etc, etc

Will never happen because we want to rehabilitate rather than punish the poor unfortunates.

Maybe a bit off topic but 100% serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well, if you are being serious.

dfbemt wrote: »
    Could the state not buy it for a million and turn it into a prison :eek: Serious.

Give the scumbags who cause so much harm to society a tent and a fishing rod with a weekly visit from their loving relations. We could drop o the odd food parcel if we got soft.

I think the Shamrock, only holds about 10 people, so a bit of a 'Q' for visits, the food parcels I presume by helicopter, when it can fly.

Tent and a fishing Rod? OK in summer when the mackerel are running, not so sure the tents would hold up in Winter.
    Would cost a lot less than the Thornton Hall proposal and a lot cheaper to run than Mountjoy. Might make one or 2 of them think before they rob / murder / rape / assault, etc, etc

Considering the amount already spent on Thornton Hall, not sure your argument holds true, at a purchase price of a Million as you suggest, and with only one working Toilet, maybe a few more Euro, we don't have, to stop polluting the surrounding Sea, Fish, etc, with effluent.
    Will never happen because we want to rehabilitate rather than punish the poor unfortunates.

Maybe a bit off topic but 100% serious

Just a bit, off topic that is.and pity the poor Walabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well, if you are being serious.

I think the Shamrock, only holds about 10 people, so a bit of a 'Q' for visits, the food parcels I presume by helicopter, when it can fly.

Tent and a fishing Rod? OK in summer when the mackerel are running, not so sure the tents would hold up in Winter.

Considering the amount already spent on Thornton Hall, not sure your argument holds true, at a purchase price of a Million as you suggest, and with only one working Toilet, maybe a few more Euro, we don't have, to stop polluting the surrounding Sea, Fish, etc, with effluent.

Just a bit, off topic that is.and pity the poor Walabies.

Well it was a prison after the Jacobite Rebellion but you could hang, draw and quarter back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

dfbemt wrote: »

Point obviously missed.

Who cares if the tents would hold up, if the helicopter could fly, if there was a queue of visitors, if there was only one working toilet.

Might make one or 2 of them think before they rob / murder / rape / assault, etc, etc

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stay on-topic please. Try Humanities if you wish to continue discussing treatment of prisoners.

tHB

Advertisement