Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean moves to Wigan to help career

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

COYVB wrote: »
    Matty Lowton says hi

Hi Matt. You're not as good as Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

NIMAN wrote: »
    We got nowhere near £300k from the deal. Its reported to be more like half of that.

A lot depends on what James moved to Wigan for. It was reported as £2m at first, but it is thought to be closer to the £1m mark.

Plus Derry only get 15% of the profit Sunderland make, so they can deduct what they paid us for him in the 1st place from their profit, then pay 15% of that.

As for James' attitude, I think he is renowned for having a fantastic attitude to playing and training. His work rate is 100%. If you want to consider stuff he says on Twitter as a reason to run hom down, or the fact that he chose not to wear a poppy on his shirt, then you are as shallow as those in the UK media who attack him.

Cheers. The Independent were reporting £300,000 yesterday so that's where I got that from. Either way, the £500,000 offered for the clause last summer looks huge now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lowton's progression last season indicates he'll become a very nice RB in the future. Is he better than Coleman now? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

EdenHazard wrote: »
    No, you are wrong, really really wrong.

No I'm afraid I'm not.

Coleman is decent going forward but his defensive work leaves a lot to be desired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No I'm afraid I'm not.

Coleman is decent going forward but his defensive work leaves a lot to be desired.

So does Glen Johnson's. I wouldn't say he's streets behind Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Coleman has improved a good bit. But Zabaleta and Rafael were by far the best in the league last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempsey wrote: »
    Coleman has a terrific attitude, the same cannot be said of McClean.

Dont know where this is coming from?? Never heard anything negative about McClean in this regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No I'm afraid I'm not.

Presumably you haven't watched him play in the last 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

gustavo wrote: »
    Presumably you haven't watched him play in the last 12 months?

Yes I've watched him numerous times for both club and country, but to say he is the second best RB in the league is just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dempsey wrote: »
    His 'form' disappeared when clubs studied what he does and made tactical tweaks to deal with him and he couldnt deal with tactics used on him.
    Ya maybe some people got carried away at the beginning, understandable i suppose when its been so long since we've seen any exciting young raw talent bursting through onto the big stage. Im still not sure about him, really hopes he makes it, like the cut of him.
    Bit of a one trick pony i feel. Defenders know how to deal with him now, and he hasnt really adapted to it.

Yup.

The clamour in Jan-May period of 2012 before the Euros was an absolute joke.

People wanting Duff dropped etc.
    Dont know where this is coming from?? Never heard anything negative about McClean in this regard

I suppose that there was the sillyness on Twitter. Popy lark and then the utter stupidity after the Kazahkstan game.

Its sad that so many of our players have dropped down so far, McClean, Foley, Ward, Doyle, McCarthy etc.

I really think Wigan would be a great place for McClean to pick up though. Even more so if Martinez was stil there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

G.K. wrote: »
    Lowton's progression last season indicates he'll become a very nice RB in the future. Is he better than Coleman now? No.

True.

But.

Any excuse to post this:

Lowton_Goal_1.gif?syndication=128817

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lowton > Coleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1 start in 4 league games for McClean at Wigan so far. Not a good sign for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

noodler wrote: »

Its sad that so many of our players have dropped down so far, McClean, Foley, Ward, Doyle, McCarthy etc.

for 10 years , the averageness of Irish players has becoming increasingly very worrying , I don't think its a lack of ability , more a lack of application and hard work ; the over hype of Irish internationals at home doesn't help , by all means lash plaudits out where it is deserved , but lets stop celebrating averageness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

thebaz wrote: »
    for 10 years , the averageness of Irish players has becoming increasingly very worrying , I don't think its a lack of ability , more a lack of application and hard work ; the over hype of Irish internationals at home doesn't help , by all means lash plaudits out where it is deserved , but lets stop celebrating averageness.

I don't think over praising players is anything we need to worry about in Ireland! Even top players at their peak like Robbie Keane, Given, Duff and Dunne were regularly moaned about.

Who are your examples of 'averageness' who are being celebrated? Last Irish player I can remember getting properly hyped up when he was younger is Robbie Keane and to a lesser extent John O'Shea and that quickly changed back to a hate campaign for a couple years. I don't think any of the current players like McCarthy or Coleman are getting hyped up at all. 'Celebrating Averageness' really just sounds like a Roy Keane quote without any real basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

IrishIrish wrote: »
    I don't think any of the current players like McCarthy or Coleman are getting hyped up at all. 'Celebrating Averageness' really just sounds like a Roy Keane quote without any real basis.

We constantly hype up Irish players without real substance - McClean , McCarthy, Coleman, Houlahan for instance - the whole Euro Championships we over hyped the squad , and in particular in the lead up to it , when our performances at it were dire - who was the last Irish player to take a major league by storm ? - in fact our leading players over the past 10 years - Robbie Keane, Duff, O'Shea , Given, Dunne performances at club level have been very average to my eyes, lots of moving clubs and sitting on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Who are your examples of 'averageness' who are being celebrated? Last Irish player I can remember getting properly hyped up when he was younger is Robbie Keane and to a lesser extent John O'Shea and that quickly changed back to a hate campaign for a couple years. I don't think any of the current players like McCarthy or Coleman are getting hyped up at all. 'Celebrating Averageness' really just sounds like a Roy Keane quote without any real basis.

For the last few years lots of people claimed Arsenal should sign Kevin Doyle and he'd be a great addition to their squad. I heard his and Long's name mentioned when talking about Liverpool as well. Complete delusion to think either of those players would ever be good enough for that level, even as squad players.

Advertisement