Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you buy a monitor?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

My old CRT is on its' way out so am looking for a new one. Am amazed as so far, the only place I've seen them has been PC World. The others, eg Harvey Norman, Power City etc tell me they don't stock them.

I'm sure there must be somewhere else out there; would anyone know or have suggestion for a decent online buy? Not looking for anything fancy, just a reasonable size and reliable.

In my old job we used to scrap perfectly good monitors all the time, if only....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Chelon wrote: »
    My old CRT is on its' way out so am looking for a new one. Am amazed as so far, the only place I've seen them has been PC World. The others, eg Harvey Norman, Power City etc tell me they don't stock them.

I'm sure there must be somewhere else out there; would anyone know or have suggestion for a decent online buy? Not looking for anything fancy, just a reasonable size and reliable.

In my old job we used to scrap perfectly good monitors all the time, if only....

Check www.adverts.ie :) . You may get a free CRT (if you want a CRT still), once your willing to collect it. For LCD/LED monitors Argos do them as well, but you may be best off buying online

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How much are you willing to pay? You can get a fabulous 27" LED with speakers and VGA, DVI and HDMI for a smidge over €200. Many 20#+ for under €150.

You won't know yourself, coming from a CRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you're so desperately stuck for a CRT monitor, I still have a some perfectly fine (a bit dudty maybe) 17" Dell monitors around. Pickup for free (Co. Clare).

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

RangeR wrote: »
    How much are you willing to pay? You can get a fabulous 27" LED with speakers and VGA, DVI and HDMI for a smidge over €200. Many 20#+ for under €150.

They look good, although that one is probably overkill for me, and I don't need speakers. Like the look of this for the money, I heard Benq is a really good brand, but it's hard to know when you're buying online and can't see the picture quality in the flesh- would anyone know?

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2658959

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

RangeR wrote: »

Very true: you'll be amazed, for example, at the appalling lag and motion distorting. Scrolling text on an lcd panel is heartbreaking, coming from a decent crt.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    If you're so desperately stuck for a CRT monitor, I still have a some perfectly fine (a bit dudty maybe) 17" Dell monitors around. Pickup for free (Co. Clare).

Sorry should have said now in market for a flat screen, have edited OP. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Very true: you'll be amazed, for example, at the appalling lag and motion distorting. Scrolling text on an lcd panel is heartbreaking, coming from a decent crt.
    I had a 21" crt for a while for cad, twas lovely, though would still pick my current IPS monitor over it for ease of movement etc.

Have been thinking about this as well - in common with so many tech "advances" these days, are the new monitors any better than CRTs? I'm presuming that LED ones don't suffer so much as LCD? All businesses use them, so surely they must be ok?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Chelon wrote: »
    Have been thinking about this as well - in common with so many tech "advances" these days, are the new monitors any better than CRTs? I'm presuming that LED ones don't suffer so much as LCD? All businesses use them, so surely they must be ok?

Cheap LCDs have bad refresh rates and response times, you get what you pay for when it comes to monitors, same even went for CRTs back in the day. Can CRTs even be bought these days? They just aren't practical nowadays due to weight for shipping/storage reasons so I don't think any suppliers still do them, or if they do it's on demand

Nick

5wWDxBg.jpg

Where’s a degauss button when you need one? ;)

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    They just aren't practical nowadays

Who cares for practicality when you can get a FW900? ;)

Damn shame they don't make 'em anymore.
    yoyo wrote: »
    Can CRTs even be bought these days?

$1,000 on ebay... if you're lucky. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I had a 21" crt for a while for cad, twas lovely, though would still pick my current IPS monitor over it for ease of movement etc.

Yep, I had to get rid of a dying crt and was forced into an lcd for space saving. It's nice and bright, but in use it's.... not "bad", just a little sad-inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Advertisement