Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry eye

• 13-08-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello,

Any of ye folks have any experience with the condition "cherry eye" or prolapsed 3rd eye lid in their dogs?
    My 8 year old JRT male has just developed this condition. I have brougth him to the vet twice and both times been given cortisone (not 100% on the type) cream, this seems to be alleviating the swelling.
    I have read up on this and there seems to be two options
    1. Surgery 2. Management of issue.
    He is not in any discomfort but it just looks horrible.
    Any experiences people would like to share?

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

My staffie x had a cherry eye and I was told that it would become more of problem as he got older as he would probably have to have drops to ensure that his eye kept moist so I elected for surgery. It can be tricky and the first operation didn't take but it was redone and he appears to have no problems at present - he's 5.5 old. I've always understood that putting dogs on cortisone long term is not good for them in any form - hope that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

Thanks for reply Snoman.
    Surgery is an option which im reluctant to take, not ruling it out altogether though!

Advertisement