Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Bill and Pre Pay Meter

Options
  • 13-08-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I received a massive bill of €650 for 2 months. I live by myself and am out all day. I have been in touch via phoning your company with varying degrees of understanding from the agents.
    I'm going to struggle to pay before the next bill but the thing I wanted to know is, I requested a prepay meter and was told that I don't fit the criteria because I live in an apartment. In the same block I live in, in an apartment I was going to take before my current one came up there was a prepay meter.
    So I am confused. It would help enormously and take a lot of stress away.
    I just cannot fathom how the bill is so big at this time of the year so a prepay meter would obviously allow me to monitor the situation and prevent me being hit with future bills of this kind.
    Could you please advise as to why I can't have one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Mince Pie,

We offer pay-as-you-go (PAYG) meters for gas. For electricity we can provide PAYG meters in certain cases, which are specifically for managing arrears as well as paying for current usage. We do not offer meters just for PAYG electricity with no arrears.

Customers can apply to be assessed for a PAYG electricity meter and they would be required to meet certain criteria:
    - Having arrears on their Electric Ireland account (this would include a previous bill or bills, as well as the current bill)
    - Not living in an apartment: the reason for this is that the PAYG meter needs to be accessible at all times, so cannot be in an apartment block's meter room

Further details re PAYG electricity meters here on our website.

With regards to the pre-pay meter in the other apartment, can you remember who the electricity provider was?

We fully appreciate and understand that customers are not always in a position to pay a bill by its due date; have you enquired as to whether a payment plan for this bill can be set up for you?

Is the bill based on an estimate or reading? If a reading, was a previous bill (or bills) under-estimated, resulting in the difference being accounted for in this bill? Do you have storage heaters?

If you wish, do send us a private message with your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/contact telephone number as they appear on your account.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Hi Mince Pie,

We offer pay-as-you-go (PAYG) meters for gas. For electricity we can provide PAYG meters in certain cases, which are specifically for managing arrears as well as paying for current usage. We do not offer meters just for PAYG electricity and no arrears.

Customers can apply to be assessed for a PAYG electricity meter and they would be required to meet certain criteria:
    - Having arrears on their Electric Ireland account (this would include a previous bill or bills, as well as the current bill)
    - Not living in an apartment: the reason for this is that the PAYG meter needs to be accessible at all times, so cannot be in an apartment block's meter room

With regards to the pre-pay meter in the other apartment, can you remember who the electricity provider was?

We fully appreciate and understand that customers are not always in a position to pay a bill by its due date; have you enquired as to whether a payment plan for this bill can be set up for you?

Is the bill based on an estimate or reading? If a reading, was a previous bill (or bills) under-estimated, resulting in the difference being accounted for in this bill? Do you have storage heaters?

If you wish, do send us a private message with your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/contact telephone number as they appear on your account.

Regards,
    Una
    Hi Una
    My apartment is ground floor with its own front door. Think like a townhouse with ground floor apartments on the bottom.
    Would that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Hi Mince Pie,

We offer pay-as-you-go (PAYG) meters for gas. For electricity we can provide PAYG meters in certain cases, which are specifically for managing arrears as well as paying for current usage. We do not offer meters just for PAYG electricity and no arrears.

Regards,
    Una
    Hi Una
    My apartment is ground floor with its own front door. Think like a townhouse with ground floor apartments on the bottom.
    Would that make a difference?
    And also my meter is outside and fully accessible. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Mince Pie,

Can you private message us your account details so that we can see the particulars of your account and dwelling? We will be able to give you more specific answers then.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Dude switch to pre pay power i did 3 month ago and it was the best thing i ever did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

carly_86 wrote: »
    Dude switch to pre pay power i did 3 month ago and it was the best thing i ever did
    you know they charge you an extra 140 euro a year for the meter?

Advertisement