Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process or time frame of getting broadband installed in a house with no existing line

Options
  • 13-08-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into a new (to me) house in September and I'm looking to get broadband installed.

There is currently no active phone line in the house, but there was one a few years ago.

Could you please provide some info on what I have to do to get the broadband in? (The broadband section of the eircom website does not work in work for me for some reason). I would be happy to order online if that is possible.

Also, if I wanted to get it installed for the first or second week of September, when should I order it?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hi,

I'm moving into a new (to me) house in September and I'm looking to get broadband installed.

There is currently no active phone line in the house, but there was one a few years ago.

Could you please provide some info on what I have to do to get the broadband in? (The broadband section of the eircom website does not work in work for me for some reason). I would be happy to order online if that is possible.

Also, if I wanted to get it installed for the first or second week of September, when should I order it?

Thanks

Now I might be wrong here but, as far as I know there's a number ye can ring (I'll try find it for you) and it will tell you the landline number that was previously in the house, then I think you should be able to get Eircom to reactivate this line and provide you with broadband

Edit: The number is 199000
    Ring that using a landline and it will tell you the previous number that was active there and you should be able to give that to Eircom.
    Again, I'm not sire whether this will work or not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

Thanks

Hi witnessmenow

It's best to order now to ensure your broadband is active by September.

The number is AlanS181824 referring to is 199000 where you attach a phone to the line and enter this is to establish the old telephone number. If an old telephone number is not called out by a pre recorded voice then not to worry this just means a technician is required to install the line instead of a remote activation.

The reactivation or installation of a line is free however monthly prices will vary depending on what package or subscription you chose.

A remote activation usually takes up to 24 hours however it can take up to 5 working days for a technician to call for installation.

Broadband may take between five and ten working days for enablement after a line has activated or been installed yet this can take up to 20 days if ordered online.

If you wish to field any further queries or check prices please contact our sales department on 1800503303 (option 3).

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi,

Thanks

Hi witnessmenow

The number is AlanS181824 referring to is 199000 where you attach a phone to the line and enter this is to establish the old telephone number. If an old telephone number is not called out by a pre recorded voice then not to worry this just means a technician is required to install the line instead of a remote activation.

The reactivation or installation of a line is free however monthly prices will vary depending on what package or subscription you chose.

A remote activation usually takes up to 24 hours however it can take up to 5 working days for a technician to call for installation.

Broadband may take between five and ten working days for enablement after a line has activated or been installed yet this can take up to 20 days if ordered online.

If you wish to field any further queries or check prices please contact our sales department on 1800503303 (option 3).

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The house is not in a e-fibre area so it would be the standard broadband, and I would be going for the unlimited package.

After I have rang the number from above, will the sales team be able to advice on what kind of speeds would be available to me? I understand the limitations of DSL etc and why I wouldn't be getting 24mb, but would they be able to tell me roughly what I would be getting? 

Just your point about the "Broadband may take between 5 &10 working days for enablment after a line has been activated or been installed yet this can take up 20 days if ordered online"

Its quicker to order over the phone so is it? But there is a discount for ordering online is there? As I said the page is blocked in work, but I kind of remember it saying something about a "€30 online discount"

If there is a 20 day wait period for broadband, when do you start paying the bill from? As the price online includes line rental (if im not mistaken), so im just wondering when you start getting charged.

I guess going by the time frames you describe I should probably be ordering the broadband soon if I want it for shortly after I move in?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

Thanks

Hi witnessmenow

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The house is not in a e-fibre area so it would be the standard broadband, and I would be going for the unlimited package.

After I have rang the number from above, will the sales team be able to advice on what kind of speeds would be available to me? I understand the limitations of DSL etc and why I wouldn't be getting 24mb, but would they be able to tell me roughly what I would be getting? 

Just your point about the "Broadband may take between 5 &10 working days for enablment after a line has been activated or been installed yet this can take up 20 days if ordered online"

Its quicker to order over the phone so is it? But there is a discount for ordering online is there? As I said the page is blocked in work, but I kind of remember it saying something about a "€30 online discount"

If there is a 20 day wait period for broadband, when do you start paying the bill from? As the price online includes line rental (if im not mistaken), so im just wondering when you start getting charged.

I guess going by the time frames you describe I should probably be ordering the broadband soon if I want it for shortly after I move in?

Thanks

Hi witnessmenow,

The sales section will be able to give you a rough idea of the speeds you be able to achieve but this is not guaranteed until the line is active and working.
    The lead time is 5-10 working days when ordered through the sales channel but that is for broadband service only the line may take up to 10 working days also depending on the situation at the premises. The sales section will be able to give you accurate information on this.

There is a €5 discount every month if you order online.

We start billing from the day the line starts working for phone service.

Thanks

Tracey

Advertisement