Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone working in Liverpool?

• 13-08-2013 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you are in Liverpool and how you are finding it? I've been over a few times and it's a nice sized city, easy to get in and out of, and not far from the republic of Mancunia. Easy to get out into the countryside as well. People are also nice.
    My impression is that it's much like an Irish city these days, with not much jobs going. I could be very wrong though. Just doing a search online, and not many jobs show up.

But apart from that, anyone living there? How do you find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Great City, but work is slack enough there I found, I was hoping to get a job there, but have to settle for London for the time being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Very little work in Liverpool. I was seeing a girl from there for a while and she had to move up to the Mancunian Republic to get any sort of decent paying work. I'm not quite sure why it's struggling so badly but unemployment there is significantly higher than the UK average.

I'm living in Manchester myself and employment prospects in all sectors are much better. To be honest if you really like Liverpool commuting to Manchester is very doable 35-40 minutes on the train. Mind you it is horribly over crowded at rush hour. The supposed Liverpool-Manchester upgrade has still to happen but yet money can still be found for all these rail improvements in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Looking at jobs for Manchester, and even they seem thin on the ground for the so called capital of the north.
    I'm keeping all options open next year, Liverpool and Manchester places I have been that I have liked.
    I'm even checking in on the Canada forum, but London seems the likeliest place for me to try and get a job, but I'd like to consider the north of England as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Both great cities in their own right, however Manchester's always been more economically stable and there's more to do there throughout the week. I've always considered the English from the North West as closest to us in character and temperament, apart from the obvious economic reasons it's funny that so many of us flock to the South East.

I agree. Manchester I would prefer, but all job dependant. I wouldn't rule out Liverpool either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd take Liverpool any day. As has been said, Manchester is the better option job wise.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Not a whole lot of jobs advertised online for either Liverpool or Manchester....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not a whole lot of jobs advertised online for either Liverpool or Manchester....

Are you planning on moving over? What sort of work are you looking for?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Looking at online journalism/SEO type jobs after I do my grad dip. These would be the main choices open to me. Journalism would be hard to get into so looking at online media stuff.
    Lots of it in London but Manchester/Liverpool would appeal to me too. Seems to be all London though...

Looking at online journalism/SEO type jobs after I do my grad dip. These would be the main choices open to me. Journalism would be hard to get into so looking at online media stuff.
    Lots of it in London but Manchester/Liverpool would appeal to me too. Seems to be all London though...

Pretty much all of the British journalism business is concentrated in London and always has been, hence the phrase 'Fleet Street'. Even the online/SEQ stuff tends to flock there for whatever reason.

The opening of MediaCity UK in Salford with both some of the BBC and ITV both based there should have a lot of work going I would have thought.

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty much all online stuff is based in London. I find it a bit odd that the likes of Manchester, one of the main cities in England doesn't seem to have the same level of business. There are online marketing companies, but a lot seem to be smaller companies, as opposed to bigger ones which I find strange. I know Google has an office in Manchester though.

I haven't looked at MediaCity yet. Visited it last year with my mate who was studying at uni of Salford.

What would be the main employment areas in the likes of Liverpool then?

Yeah, pretty much all online stuff is based in London. I find it a bit odd that the likes of Manchester, one of the main cities in England doesn't seem to have the same level of business. There are online marketing companies, but a lot seem to be smaller companies, as opposed to bigger ones which I find strange. I know Google has an office in Manchester though.

I haven't looked at MediaCity yet. Visited it last year with my mate who was studying at uni of Salford.

What would be the main employment areas in the likes of Liverpool then?

To be honest I know very little about employment in Liverpool. The field I work in has pretty much nothing except the odd council job in Liverpool so never really looked at it.

Mancunia it is then!

Advertisement