Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing rose Celling light fittings.

Options
  • 13-08-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm replacing 3 rose ceiling lights with new light fittings.
    There are 3 lights on the circuit
    The new fittings have standard 3 connector terminals live, neutral and earth.
    How do I replace the terminals used to loop wires that the rose plate provides, do I use the standard connectors and tape them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If you don't understand how too this then do not attempt too do so. It's a simple operation for a skilled sparky. My advice is leave it too one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

MrMac84 wrote: »
    If you don't understand how too this then do not attempt too do so. It's a simple operation for a skilled sparky. My advice is leave it too one.

Thanks for the advice but I have wired solar panels, gates and rewired my heating system to a 3 zone system. I just want clarification on using a terminal block connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Post a pic of the existing wiring and your new fitting and we can better advise....

These are the 3 fittings. They are on the downstairs ceiling so no attic above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes. Just use standard connector blocks and insulation tape.
    I notice from 2 pics that the incorrect color wire was used for neutral,just make sure you reconnect this wire back into neutral connector block.
    Make sure you turn power off at the consumer unit(fuse box)

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Yes. Just use standard connector blocks and insulation tape.
    I notice from 2 pics that the incorrect color wire was used for neutral,just make sure you reconnect this wire back into neutral connector block.
    Make sure you turn power off at the consumer unit(fuse box)

Noticed the incorrect wire myself, not sure why he did that.
    So do I wire the terminal block the same way as in the pictures or can I but the 3 brown in the live terminal to one terminal?

On the rose you have 3 blocks of terminals. If you take the neutral block are the 3 terminals connected or are They insulated from each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Don't change any wiring
    Just connect like with like

Also, for the sake of a euro or two, buy a roll of blue insulation tape and tape over the brown insulation on those neutrals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Whoever wired those in the first place should be taken away and shot.
    Very shoddy workmanship.

Steve wrote: »
    Whoever wired those in the first place should be taken away and shot.
    Very shoddy workmanship.

You don't know the half of it Steve, fell out with the guy and had to get rid of him during second fixing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement