Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on buying computer

Options
  • 13-08-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a Dell XPS 8700 desktop computer. I have satellite NBS broadband. I don't think these computers come with a network card but Dell have a USB to Ethernet adapter - is this what I'd need for my ViaSat modem. I have asked Dell this but so far no response - is their customer service reliable?

I also would like to know if it's worth 69 euros to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro rather than the Windows 8 that it comes with. Also is it worth paying 200 euors plus for a touchscreen monitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's a decent pc for the price. What will it be used for?

You could just buy a network card on amazon and install it yourself or I'm sure dell give the option to add one if it doesn't have one already. No need to upgrade windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BillG

Rest assured the Dell XPS 8700 does have a network card:

External Chassis Connections
    Rear: HDMI, Display Port, RJ-45 (10/100/1000Base), Audio (7.1 channel (6 Jack) Premium Audio Performance), Mic, Line-in, (4) USB 3.0 ports, (2) USB 2.0 ports.
    Front: (2) USB 2.0 Ports (Top), (2) USB 3.0 Ports, Mic-in, Headphone, Media Card Reader (MCR 19:1), (1) Powered USB Charging when system off (Top)

Unless you are attching the device to a corporate network I wouldn't have though that Pro would offer you anything that you are likely to use that Win 8 Home doesn't already give you.

As regards to touchscreens, I am personally not sure a desktop PC is improved by a touchscreen even if it does run Windows 8 which is geared up for touchscreen use. Personally, I go to stardock.com, buy ModernMix and Start8 and make Windows 8 look like Windows 7.

I think she means a wireless card. All pc's have built in wired network.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I think she means a wireless card. All pc's have built in wired network.

Hi Bloodbath

You could be right but then USB to Ethernet isn't Wireless either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Maybe you have a screen already?

Lot of people dont realise that you can save a lot by just using your old screen.

Maybe you intended to do that but wondering is it worth paying the extra just for a "touchscreen" ?

In that case i would say no. Touchscreen for a pc would be a bit of a gimmicky waste of money id say.

Also people tend to use wired as its more reliable and people dont move PCs but if you have to you can just buy an adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yeah OP, what will it be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

I make cards and use a few different graphics programs. I like the idea of making windows 8 look like windows 7. My main requirement is that I will be able to just plug in my satellite modem because I do not want to have to try to contact digiweb via the 3 "helpline". I don't want to replace my monitor unless it would make life easier.

My guess is that your VSAT modem has a network cable that you plug into the back of your computer? if so then the Dell PC you mentioned should be fine out the box.

No need for a touch screen monitor. Just get rid of the terrible metro ui. There are various ways of restoring windows 7 functionality to windows 8.

What is your current monitor though and how old is it. What size?

A higher resolution bigger monitor could make life easier but you may not need it if your current one is decent.

If you have the cable you can connect the modem/router to the pc no problem. Does the router support wireless connection and do you want wireless connection?

I would say that pc is probably a bit overkill for your requirements. How much is the total cost?

Is it the €699 one? http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-8700/pd My wife does the same BTW, make Cards:D

• Advertisement

I don't know what make my current monitor is but it says on the back - manufactured in 2005.

I only have an 11GB download limit so really wireless would not be of much use to me. I do have an iPad but I think it would use up my allowance very quickly.

The price of the computer will depend on how much memory and what size of disk I want and the graphics card. I'm thinking 4MB ram minimum and a 1TB disk - that's probably more than I need at the moment but graphics programs always seem to work better with more memory.

Yes the 699 one.

I'd invest in a good IPS monitor for color accuracy over a touch screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I also would like to know if it's worth 69 euros to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro rather than the Windows 8 that it comes with.

Windows 8 Pro only makes sense from a consumer's point of view, if you want to be entitled to a free downgrade to Windows 7 Professional (in case you're not happy with Windows 8).

Are you set on getting your PC from Dell? From what I'm hearing their support has gone down hill. There are other options.

I was attracted to Dell because I can choose the amount of memory etc that goes into the pc. There seem to be limited options for desktop pcs now . I looked in Currys in Galway and they had 3 desktop pcs. I do have worries about their customer service because I told them yesterday that I was thinking of buying the computer and asking if I would be able to plug in my satellite modem and they haven't answered yet.

Aldi have a great PC aimed at students for 399. Probably still have them as i seen them last week.

Its just a PC and keyboard / mouse.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-25th-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/multimedia-desktop-pc/

save a nice few euro and thats a good PC.

Marian just to give you an alternative to think about. You could order the parts from a German website most of us on the building and upgrading forum use. They offer a build service for €20 and their prices are great. The only downside over Dell is you lose the 1 year on site warranty but all of the parts come with their own warranties anyway which usually exceed 1 year and it's highly unlikely anything will fail in the first year with quality components.

The upside is you get a pc completely tailored to your needs. This pc has the same specs with better quality components that will offer better upgrade options in future. You don't need the graphics card in the dell build. The integrated graphics on the processor is more than enough for the tasks you are doing. Instead you get a 120gb solid state disk drive which is like a hard drive but 100's of times faster. It's ideal for windows and your programs as it will dramatically increase their loading times and their responsiveness. There is still a 1tb hard drive in there for storage.

The prices include delivery. You would have to install windows yourself but that is an easy task. There are lots of guides online or you can ask here for help.

Item|Price
    8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€55.47
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€56.12
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€85.04
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 500W|€53.75
    Cooler Master N200, mATX-mini-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€33.56
    Samsung SH-224BB bare schwarz|€17.18
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader, für 3,5" Einbauchschacht|€3.32
    LogiLink SATA Anschlusskabel mit Sicherungslasche, 0.5m|€1.39
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    Sharkoon Squad Laser Mouse|€10.97
    Sharkoon 1337 Mat "Black" Mousepad|€5.99
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Intel Core i5-4430 Tray, 3,0 GHZ, 6MB Cache, LGA 1150, VGA|€162.68
    ASUS B85M-G, Sockel 1150, mATX|€66.39
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€605.75

Windows 7 OEM €44

LG 22" IPS 1080p monitor €123

Microsoft Keyboard €10.50

Total €783.25

I could get the the total price down to €699 with some minor changes and very little performance loss.

I'd recommend OverclockersUK over Dell. They will build it to order for free and give you better support too. The hardware is non proprietary unlike Dell so, it will make it easier on you to make upgrades in the future. They also have an active forum to assist you if you need it. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2473

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Before you buy DELL keep in mind that the DELL mainboards and cases have the BTX format which basically means that the components on the board are turned 90 degrees compared to standard ATX mainboards. That means you can't put a normal ATX mainboard in there if you want to upgrade someday.

• Advertisement

Ironbar wrote: »
    Before you buy DELL keep in mind that the DELL mainboards and cases have the BTX format which basically means that the components on the board are turned 90 degrees compared to standard ATX mainboards. That means you can't put a normal ATX mainboard in there if you want to upgrade someday.

You might aswell be speaking french mate.

Do you honestly think the OP has the faintest idea of what your talking about? :D

I'm hoping that I won't need to upgrade - I'd rather buy more than I need now and that it will be ok for a few years.

I bought the Dell XPS8700 and a monitor from Dell. When I started to set it up I realised that the VGA adapter that came with the computer wouldn't connect to the computer!:eek: I tried to ring Dell but was put on hold for so long that I gave up. Luckily I had a VGA connector that did fit.

I transferred files using Windows Easy Transfer and it was indeed easy.

I was really worried about Windows 8 but in fact it isn't nearly as difficult to navigate as I had expected. I've uninstalled or unpinned most of the apps tiles from the start menu and hope that this will stop them from eating up all my tiny broadband allowance. I know that they haven't actually gone from my computer. I might end up installing a program to replace the start button - I have Start Menu 8 on a disc.

I have Start Menu 8 on a disc.

Just remember, when you install Start menu 8, clear the box that asks you to install a demo of Advanced System Care Pro at the end of the installation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I was really worried about Windows 8 but in fact it isn't nearly as difficult to navigate as I had expected. I've uninstalled or unpinned most of the apps tiles from the start menu and hope that this will stop them from eating up all my tiny broadband allowance. I know that they haven't actually gone from my computer. I might end up installing a program to replace the start button - I have Start Menu 8 on a disc.

It really isn't that big a problem. I'm one of the few who actually prefers the new start menu.. (or in other words bothered to get to grips with the changes :) ).
    Next month Windows 8.1 will come out as a free upgrade which will place a start button in the usual spot linking to the modern start menu. It also allows you to "boot to desktop" which is also a useful addition, as well as a toggle to open the "All Apps" drawer and close it.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Next month Windows 8.1 will come out as a free upgrade which will place a start button in the usual spot linking to the modern start menu. It also allows you to "boot to desktop" which is also a useful addition, as well as a toggle to open the "All Apps" drawer and close it.

Nick
    Will the Windows 8.1 upgrade mean re-installing everything? If not I'll just wait for that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Will the Windows 8.1 upgrade mean re-installing everything? If not I'll just wait for that.

Nope, its like any service pack upgrade, it will retain all software and settings. You only need to wipe if you install the consumer preview build according to Microsoft

Nick

Does the monitor have DVI-I(the connection looks the same as on your PC)or is it VGA? Because, DVI-I would be better.

It has a VGA and an HDMI connection. I tried to connect by HDMI but got a message saying that there was no VGA connection and the monitor was closing down.

• Advertisement

Your computer has two HDMI connectors, do not use the on-board connector, use the connector of the Radeon HD 7570 add-on graphics card and it should work just fine.

4K0GNEq.jpg

Advertisement