Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Price

• 13-08-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi,
    I hope this is the right place to ask this.
    My aunt has a hedge approx 250 yards long and 12 / 13 feet high. It's an evergreen hedge. Her son used to cut it for her with a hedge-trimmers, but he's gone to Australia since February. How much do you think it would cost her to hire someone to do it for her. She would want the front and top cut. A ball park figure would be good, so she has some idea before she does go about finding someone to do the job.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

thats an aful lot of hedge requiring ladder or platform work, and very difficult to price without seeing. If you could get 3-4 quotes that would give you and idea, but it wont be cheap. You may want the clippings shreaded and removed too.

why are you not doing the far side too? its best for the hedge to do both sides and the top, rather than let one side go wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Oldtree wrote: »
    thats an aful lot of hedge requiring ladder or platform work, and very difficult to price without seeing. If you could get 3-4 quotes that would give you and idea, but it wont be cheap. You may want the clippings shreaded and removed too.

why are you not doing the far side too? its best for the hedge to do both sides and the top, rather than let one side go wild.

Yes, I have seen my cousin (her son) at it before. He had his work cut out for him alright.
    We didn't think it would be cheap, but not sure how expensive it would be. My aunt was hoping it would be less the €1000.
    I don't know why the far sides not getting done, it must have been done all along cos it's not wild at the back of it.
    I wonder if it would be much cheaper to get tractor job in?

Thank you for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Yes, I have seen my cousin (her son) at it before. He had his work cut out for him alright.
    We didn't think it would be cheap, but not sure how expensive it would be. My aunt was hoping it would be less the €1000.
    I don't know why the far sides not getting done, it must have been done all along cos it's not wild at the back of it.
    I wonder if it would be much cheaper to get tractor job in?

Thank you for your advice.

tractor may be a bit messier with the hedge trimmer but could be cleaned up,

tractor E40 / hour and would have it done in an hour or 2, just the clean up then

GY A1 wrote: »
    tractor may be a bit messier with the hedge trimmer but could be cleaned up,

tractor E40 / hour and would have it done in an hour or 2, just the clean up then

Tractor sounds like the better option but my aunt just informed me a tractor wouldn't fit! That's why my cousin had to do it with hedge trimmers. :)

Tractor sounds like the better option but my aunt just informed me a tractor wouldn't fit! That's why my cousin had to do it with hedge trimmers. :)

where u based,
    knew a guy who had a hedgecutter mounted on a tracked digger, could possible reach in from the other side

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    where u based,
    knew a guy who had a hedgecutter mounted on a tracked digger, could possible reach in from the other side

Based in Kildare. My aunt is going to go and get a few quotes tomorrow. We will get it sorted. Thanks very much for all your input and help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

If the hedge is Box the pruning would be much more sensitively and attractively done with a strimmer than a tractor. Having had the pleasure of a box hedge in my childhood home in Dublin - and trimming it back myself three or four times with handshears during each growing season - I believe your aunt would be well-rewarded by treating this wonderful shrub kindly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If it is evergreen leylandii type then you can only use a tractor hedge trimmer on the top as if you use on the sides if it goes back too far into the hedge and cuts beyond the green shoots the hedge will not recover.

This is not an issue with lauarl or escalonia they may look ugly after but they will recover. If the hedge has been cut every year it may not be too hard a job however if it is 3-4 years since cut it will take a while.

Your aunt should be able to get a fairly handy fellow that will do the job for around 100 euro/day and maybe a bit less especially as gardening work gets scares coming up to Christmas and after the new year. However profession tree trimmers will charge at least twice that. Removing the trimmings will be the hardest part. If it has been done every year do the back as well even if leylandii 4-5 days would get you out of there in most situtations.

If it is that long she should consider removing part of it there is nearly 800 feet of it and over tome it will become a burden on her. Taking away a 100' section for 3-4 years will five her the wood for the fire and se may find a local that will do it for the timber. This timber need to be seasoned for a year before using

If it is evergreen leylandii type then you can only use a tractor hedge trimmer on the top as if you use on the sides if it goes back too far into the hedge and cuts beyond the green shoots the hedge will not recover.

This is not an issue with lauarl or escalonia they may look ugly after but they will recover. If the hedge has been cut every year it may not be too hard a job however if it is 3-4 years since cut it will take a while.

Your aunt should be able to get a fairly handy fellow that will do the job for around 100 euro/day and maybe a bit less especially as gardening work gets scares coming up to Christmas and after the new year. However profession tree trimmers will charge at least twice that. Removing the trimmings will be the hardest part. If it has been done every year do the back as well even if leylandii 4-5 days would get you out of there in most situtations.

If it is that long she should consider removing part of it there is nearly 800 feet of it and over tome it will become a burden on her. Taking away a 100' section for 3-4 years will five her the wood for the fire and se may find a local that will do it for the timber. This timber need to be seasoned for a year before using

Thanks for that. You certainly know your stuff!
    My aunt found a lad who will do it to €90 a day. Depending on the weather he is doing it next week, so it's all sorted now. Phew!!

My aunt found a lad who will do it to €90 a day. Depending on the weather he is doing it next week, so it's all sorted now. Phew!!

thats good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Make sure that he stays at it and will not drag out the job. TBF to a lot of fellas that dop tis type of work they are fairly honest however you can be unlucky. No need to be a slave driver but be firm.

What type of hedge is it.

Make sure that he stays at it and will not drag out the job. TBF to a lot of fellas that dop tis type of work they are fairly honest however you can be unlucky. No need to be a slave driver but be firm.

What type of hedge is it.

The lad comes recommended so that's a start!! It's an evergreen hedge, he's done those plenty of times before, seems to know what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

I get my ever green cut free by a lad who sells Greenery into Dublin- flowers etc

Advertisement